Kinda proud of myself

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Jeremy1982 said:
Just got to the link in regards to saying you twice "Are". I was taught using the sign for "are" when asking How are you? But lifeprint says it's not asl. Most people seem to know what I was saying though.

Well I'd know what you were signing , but I'd also be cringing on the inside.

When I see people signing "MY NAME IS ......" Or "ARE YOU DEAF" etc it makes me think back to the hearing educator who ripped ASL from us and forced SEE instead (saying they knew better, even though none where CODA etc).
Not good memories (and SEE is a clumsy, ineffective system that never worked and thankful we switched back to ASL which was accepted officially as a real language!!)

Just because we can puzzle out what you are trying to say doesn't mean you are actually signing it right.

Take the time to learn ASL correctly.

Last edited:
I guess I don't know what CODA and SEE is.
CODA = child of deaf adults

SEE = Signing Exact English (it's not a language but a sign system developed by hearing educators)

Perhaps when I started learning, what was being used wasn't "ASL"? Sign language none the less, but not ASL. I guess I couldn't say for certain.

edit--------------
Found this thread from yahoo
http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/47928-asl-see-pse-etc.html

Definitely wasn't ASL I've been doing since a child.

I feel crushed down. grrr
No need to feel crushed down. Consider it a learning experience and move forward.

If it's any comfort to you, many people are misled by people and organizations claiming to teach ASL that isn't ASL.

Now that you know, you can make corrections to your course of direction.

Back