just found out my 5month old is deaf

hi, again! so sorry i don't post much - it's amazing how busy i get with the kids. latest update - darren (spouse) went thru terp program. finished in march. technically he 'failed' - he got B's in practicum 3, but teacher felt he was not proficient enough for terp degree and changed the final grade to 'c'. which is failing. after much conversation, we decided to have him go on hiatus - and i would start in the fall.

well, today was my second day of class. (started last thursday.) i'm in beginning asl and fingerspelling classes. i KISS FIST it! awesome decision - i am learning a lot - esp fixing bad habits and learning lots of new stuff. i'm definitely in the right place. i had talked to my advisor about possibly testing out of hte lower level classes, but i wanted to do it all. learn it right, you know? like english people take english classes - i know basics and can communicate - albeit awfully (hearies think i'm so good. sigh - they have no clue.)

i am so excited to be on this path. started this journey when my son was 5 months old and 'officially' tested as deaf, but i did actually know at birth - newborn screening came back deaf. one of the first things i did was read everything i could, because i knew NOTHING. now i know a lot more, but am ready and eager to build on that foundation.

the kids are loving it, too - esp since i've given them permission to 'fix' errors as they catch them when we're conversing.

our goals after we read everything that our son would be raised Deaf and ASL as primary language. if he acqures oral language, fine (honestly, it's doubtful - he has NO interest in English/hearing/hearing aids) he is learning to read and write. he's officially in kindergarten now. :)

also our goals included our family being as native fluent as possible, along with immersion in Deaf culture. i want to be Deaf. (i know i'm hearing, but still that's the family goal for everyone.)

well, that's it. need to scoot and get the kids ready for bed and then i need to do all the things a mom does at night before finally calling it quits for the evening.

blessings,
bettyann

That's a neat updated of your news.

Just curious, is there a new generation that your kid to socialize with other deaf kids in the same classroom? do other kids sign or oral ? just wonder.

p.s. Im the old generation. :)

Is your son mainstreamed, or at a school for the deaf?

Edit: Just read farther back and saw that your son is at Ohio School
for the Deaf. You mentioned, "if he acquires spoken language"- I'm curious if he is in speech therapy?

Last edited:
if he acqures oral language, fine (honestly, it's doubtful - he has NO interest in English/hearing/hearing aids) he is learning to read and write. he's officially in kindergarten now.
Glad he's doing so well!!!! And yes you have an AWESOME attitude. I think it's great if a deaf kid can aquire oral skills, but if they can't.......no biggie.
The important thing is that he has access to written English/literacy!
And I gotta say.....I kinda envy him. Speech therapy can be VERY BORING!!!

I just found this forum thru a google search.

Hope it's ok if I lurk here and learn from ya'll.

My 5 month old (will be 6 months old on the 16th) is severe to profoundly deaf. I and my family plan to learn ASL and make that our primary language at home so that he will learn his language and become bilingual with both ASL and English (not sure of all the right terminology). I also want to learn as much as I can about the deaf culture and want to find out where to meet up with other deaf people (in regular meetings, etc) so that I and my family can become more proficient in the use of sign and also so that my son will have exposure to his culture.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

It's hard for me to have online time as I have 2 young children. I will try to be online as often as possible, though. :)

Sincerely,
BettyAnn
Mommy to the two cutest, most adorable mud monsters ever!
AboutMyBaby | Our Family Website

I thought babies where hearing was tested right after been born. My grandchild hearing was tested when she was a new born baby.

have u ever considered the oral method for ur daughter?? given the great technology today, she can be talking n listening in no time..

Hi,
I am a profoundly deaf person with very little hearing at all. (Age 60 now)

My parents did not want to learn Sign, so I was sent to an oral school and fitted with a hearing aid. They did not find out I was deaf until I was three.)

I speak passably well, never accepted the hearing aid, and managed to lip-read well until now -I am getting old and my eyes are not that good anymore.

What I find is; I can't join in group conversation, people don't talk much to me, I am very lonely and wish had learned Sign so I could make friends with other Deaf.

Ah yes, I have always had a few very good jobs, but no responsible positions.

Perhaps I have given you something to think about, here. Good luck!

hi! sorry for delay in replying.

responses: my son is asl only - no english/oral speech. we decided to stop all speech therapy - it was a waste of his time - he had no interest or desire to 'get it' so why push it? he can learn oral language later on if he wants. he has a language - ASL. it's working for him and us.

as for the posts telling my my kid needs/wants/can learn english - that's not the right path for my kid - he has a language. why does he have to have oral english? as was noted, technology has progressed where spoken english isn't even necessary. texting, emailing, etc are all viable options - along with our VRS and even skype (although that is way too slow for signing, lol - it's mostly a blur on skype) written english with good reading and writing skills ARE important, i will definitely agree with anyone who suggests that.

we're working on teaching him to read adn write. he's coming along nicely. :)

his long term goals will be for him to be an engineer or something like that - he's VERY proficient in maths and building/creating things. so good reading adn writing skills are crucial.

just finished the semester with my classes. a's in both. yay. :)

oh just realized another question was posted - my son WAS tested in hospital. he failed that newborn screening. it took several months before i got the referral to get the indepth testing done (i had a doc that was very slow to handle things - so i dumped that doc and went to another one that is much more on the ball) - we did ABR testing on him and that's when we had it conclusively determined the level of hearing loss.

after him, we decided to opt out of hospital screenings and just do ABR testing on all future kids d/t the hx of hearing loss - and third kid born was tested that way - and turns out i have 2 hearies and 1 Deafie. :)

i'll try to be online more often, it's just hard to find time. esp now that the kids are getting bigger - i used to have to spend a lot of time cleaning up baby messes - and now i spend more time playing with those same kids - who now are a LOT of fun - and enjoy board games and all sorts of interactive activities, so my 'free' time is still quite limited. and that's ok really - they're the biggest priority i have. and i love the experiences. :)

hi! sorry for delay in replying.

responses: my son is asl only - no english/oral speech. we decided to stop all speech therapy - it was a waste of his time - he had no interest or desire to 'get it' so why push it? he can learn oral language later on if he wants. he has a language - ASL. it's working for him and us.

as for the posts telling my my kid needs/wants/can learn english - that's not the right path for my kid - he has a language. why does he have to have oral english? as was noted, technology has progressed where spoken english isn't even necessary. texting, emailing, etc are all viable options - along with our VRS and even skype (although that is way too slow for signing, lol - it's mostly a blur on skype) written english with good reading and writing skills ARE important, i will definitely agree with anyone who suggests that.

we're working on teaching him to read adn write. he's coming along nicely. :)

his long term goals will be for him to be an engineer or something like that - he's VERY proficient in maths and building/creating things. so good reading adn writing skills are crucial.

just finished the semester with my classes. a's in both. yay. :)

oh just realized another question was posted - my son WAS tested in hospital. he failed that newborn screening. it took several months before i got the referral to get the indepth testing done (i had a doc that was very slow to handle things - so i dumped that doc and went to another one that is much more on the ball) - we did ABR testing on him and that's when we had it conclusively determined the level of hearing loss.

after him, we decided to opt out of hospital screenings and just do ABR testing on all future kids d/t the hx of hearing loss - and third kid born was tested that way - and turns out i have 2 hearies and 1 Deafie. :)

i'll try to be online more often, it's just hard to find time. esp now that the kids are getting bigger - i used to have to spend a lot of time cleaning up baby messes - and now i spend more time playing with those same kids - who now are a LOT of fun - and enjoy board games and all sorts of interactive activities, so my 'free' time is still quite limited. and that's ok really - they're the biggest priority i have. and i love the experiences. :)

I am happy that you will use ASL and focus on language development instead of just speech skills. :)

I am happy that you will use ASL and focus on language development instead of just speech skills. :)

Exactly! While there's a lot of excitement over deaf kids being able to develop speech skills, it's still a fact that they lag behind hearing kids. It would be like the difference between the language levels of a second grader vs the language levels of even an upper elementary schooler. There's no evidence that overall as a GROUP oral only dhh kids have on par verbal IQs, comparable to hearing kids.

for the posts telling my my kid needs/wants/can learn english - that's not the right path for my kid - he has a language. why does he have to have oral english?
Exactly! Even with implantation and heavy oralism, there are still a lot of kids who Sign, as well as a huge Deaf community....Also, I predict there's going to be a lot of former oral only kids learning ASL around middle school age. (and hopefully SOONER)

Exactly! Even with implantation and heavy oralism, there are still a lot of kids who Sign, as well as a huge Deaf community....Also, I predict there's going to be a lot of former oral only kids learning ASL around middle school age. (and hopefully SOONER)

this is actually why the deaf school is AWFUL after 4th grade or so. because all those kids get transferred into the school after spending first 5 years in a hearing school with a terp (or nothing). they don;t have language. it breaks my heart to know of so many situations like that.

i cannot change those people's minds. if anyone asks me for advice, i'm EXTREMELY pro ASL first. a little too passionate actually some say.

yeah it can be challenging to be middle aged and learning a new language. but it's for the best outcome for the kid.

i'm all about what's best for the kid. not what's best or easiest for the parent.

Exactly! While there's a lot of excitement over deaf kids being able to develop speech skills, it's still a fact that they lag behind hearing kids. It would be like the difference between the language levels of a second grader vs the language levels of even an upper elementary schooler. There's no evidence that overall as a GROUP oral only dhh kids have on par verbal IQs, comparable to hearing kids.

that is our plan - to always put ASL first. i've been surprised by the number of hearing folks who work with/around Deafies who disagree with me on the ASL first decision. these same folks would NEVER say such a thing to a kid learning mandarin or spanish as first language. add'l languages can be acquired if the kid wants it. greatest importance is on
first language and proficiency. in this case ASL.

this is actually why the deaf school is AWFUL after 4th grade or so. because all those kids get transferred into the school after spending first 5 years in a hearing school with a terp (or nothing). they don;t have language. it breaks my heart to know of so many situations like that.

i cannot change those people's minds. if anyone asks me for advice, i'm EXTREMELY pro ASL first. a little too passionate actually some say.

yeah it can be challenging to be middle aged and learning a new language. but it's for the best outcome for the kid.

i'm all about what's best for the kid. not what's best or easiest for the parent.

Yes I know......They don't have sophsicated language.......and that's true for kids from ALL methodologies....I know kids at deaf schools who started out with auditory-verbal or auditory oral (especially NOW with the old oral schools now being regional day programs) and then transferred to Deaf School.....I honestly think that parents need to meet their dhh kids halfway. If they demand they learn how to speak, then the parents should learn how to sign! It's only fair!

HappyFrog/Betty Ann

Welcome to deaf community :)

I am happy you are doing the right thing for your child.

As being only deaf in my family, do your child three favors:

1)DO NOT STOP learning ASL--you, your husband, the entire family when child become older or leaves for college. No...keep learning, immerse in deaf culture. Your child will thank you for it. :)

My family, except for my mom, learns then stops. My mom died three years ago, and rest of my family do not really communicate with me too much, not even writing back and forth on paper. Father should learns too, not dump everything on the mother.

2)I beg your family to learn how to advocate for the child. For example, demand certified interpreter.

3)I beg your family to instill "can do" attitude in your deaf child. Support him doing whatever he wanted to do when he grow up. Many hearie parents of deaf child do not.

happyfrog, isn't it sad that the deaf schools are thought of as "last resort" placements? The kids who've been in the school from an early age tend to do best.Imagine what could have happened if the kids who transferred there, had started out there....they could have done SO much more!!!!! I also hate the audist mentality "oh they can speak...they don't "need" ASL.........Pisses me off. ASL capitalizes on a dhh kid's nautrual visual processing strength. Yes, kids can hear and speak but it's always going to take a lot more energy to hear and speak.....imagine how much they could achieve (ie concentrating on learning CONTENT) if they ALSO had ASL!

HappyFrog/Betty Ann

Welcome to deaf community :)

I am happy you are doing the right thing for your child.

As being only deaf in my family, do your child three favors:

1)DO NOT STOP learning ASL--you, your husband, the entire family when child become older or leaves for college. No...keep learning, immerse in deaf culture. Your child will thank you for it. :)

My family, except for my mom, learns then stops. My mom died three years ago, and rest of my family do not really communicate with me too much, not even writing back and forth on paper. Father should learns too, not dump everything on the mother.

2)I beg your family to learn how to advocate for the child. For example, demand certified interpreter.

3)I beg your family to instill "can do" attitude in your deaf child. Support him doing whatever he wanted to do when he grow up. Many hearie parents of deaf child do not.

If so many 'hearie parents do not " instill "can do" attitude " in thrirdeaf child
why are there so many schools for the deaf and hoh?? check the list out below. There would be demands for all these schools if you where right .
I agree there are parents that do not feel their deaf or hoh child will not do good in any school .
World Deaf Directory - Deaf Schools

If so many 'hearie parents do not " instill "can do" attitude " in thrirdeaf child
why are there so many schools for the deaf and hoh?? check the list out below. There would be demands for all these schools if you where right .
I agree there are parents that do not feel their deaf or hoh child will not do good in any school .
World Deaf Directory - Deaf Schools
Yes, a huge reason why there are still Deaf Schools even after almost 40 years of mainstreaming being the norm, is b/c there are still kids who aren't getting their needs met at their local school or deaf program.
It's pretty rare for kids to experience a K-12 boarding experience nowadays, like in the old old days. (before mainstreaming was the norm) The overwhelming majority of kids at Deaf Schools are transfers from the mainstream. Even back in the old days when Clarke had a dorm, a lot of their students were mainstream transfers.
And here's the thinking.........if the mainstream is such a good option then how come kids who are transfers show up at deaf school in such bad shape? Also NEWS to inclusion advocates......Not every hearing school is awesome. There are schooling situtions where HEARING students are getting a crappy education. What are dhh students in Gary Indiana, Detroit, East St. Louis, Appalachia, towns infested by meth, and so on going to do for an education? Stay in their home school and receive a super crappy education?

Back