just found out my 5month old is deaf

Welcome to Alldeaf! It's nice to see that you'll give every opportunity a chance, no matter the various of views which will no doubtly try to steer you into one way or another. In turn, allowing your child the benefits of both worlds, 'asl' and 'english' as well as you, family members learning how to sign will provide a good cushion when it comes to communication, etc.,.... Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD and find many useful information, tools, ideas, etc., here in AD. ;)

Have a great day! :wave:

smile

God Bless you for already being understanding to your child! My parents never knew their own parents well because they never learned ASL. I believe that you will and are a great parent. Any questions ask. -Simon

have u ever considered the oral method for ur daughter?? given the great technology today, she can be talking n listening in no time..

happyfrog
I and my family plan to learn ASL and make that our primary language at home so that he will learn his language and become bilingual with both ASL and English

Happyfrog - Welcome to AD!

Biligualism is a wonderful goal! You and your family have a challenging task ahead of you.

For a child, deaf or hearing, to successfully aquire a language, whether this be ASL or English, they must have accurate and fluent models in the chosen language. Learning a foreign language can be quite overwhelming, delay in language aquisition, as your appear to be aware with David, has its own concerns. Having success with of one language, eases the learning of a second language, especially with young children.

Have the Early Intervention professionals working with William and your family, informed you of a communication option that enables and enpowers you to provide, as a native user of English, an accurate and fluent model of English for William? With David already attending speech sessions, perhaps your SLP, will have some familiarity with the term Cued Speech. Having the skills, to communicate, using English (at this time), word for word to William, is a valuable family tool.

You will find on this board many postings discussing Cued Speech. If you have the opportunity, I invite you to read them.

happyfrog,

My passions are language, literacy and inclusion for all children, through the path of least resistance.

Cheers!

loml

Welcome you stay AD and let's breath away....

Enjoy!

You're the most welcome here and open discussion...

hi, everyone! thank you for the warm welcome! i haven't been back here in years after this post - two young children became three young children. :)

i'm the mommy to 2 hearing kids, 1 Deaf kid. middle kid is Deaf. (as you knew from orig post when i found this forum and posted shortly after finding out he was/is Deaf.) the kids are now 7,6,3..

here's an update.

we stuck to our plan - and my husband is currently finishing up an ASL interpreter degree. i will go thru the program next.

my kids are all proficient in ASL. the hearing kids can switch between languages w/o even thinking about it - we found a GREAT Deaf church that we've been attending for the last couple of years. we 'tried' out several different hearing churches that has interpreters . . or their 'idea' of interpreters. wasn't a fit for us, so we were so thrilled when we found our current church - we even are members of the church we attend.

my oldest kid has plans to grow up and become an ASL terp himself. :)

my husband actually posts on these forums apparently - every once in a while, he'll mention a thread that caught his eye and he'd post on it.

well, thanks again for the warm welcome!

one of the first thigns i did after we learned of william's deafness was to read anything and everything i could get my hands on - i borrowed literally EVERYTHING in the ohio library system on deafness and any related topics. that was a LOT OF READING!

after all that, we decided that CI's were not our decision to make. so william will make that decision for himself should he decide that's the route he wants to take. for now, he does wear hearing aids that supposedly bring his hearing up to and into the 'speech banana'. he hates them. so we don't 'make' him wear them except during school hours. summer and weekends, nope. he's ASL only and has no real desire to learn/hear english. (some days, i envy him that he can just 'take his ears out' and the world becomes a much calmer, quieter place. - it's a noisy world we live in!)

he's thriving, as are all the children.

i've had some very interesting experiences getting terps for my son. apparently it's VERY uncommon for hearing folks to request terps for their deaf kid. so i deal with getting that handled. i have a feeling my husband posted on here actually about the dentist experience where the dentist knowingly and intentionally chose to break the law and refused to get a terp for william. we now have a different dentist. explaining to hearing folks that i'm a mom, NOT a terp (even though they see me signing away to all the kids - regardless if they're hearing or deaf) and that my kid needs a terp is challenging. been very enlightening on what most deaf folks go thru - esp if they ever voice.

ps i hope to be on your forum much more often.

hi, everyone! thank you for the warm welcome! i haven't been back here in years after this post - two young children became three young children. :)

i'm the mommy to 2 hearing kids, 1 Deaf kid. middle kid is Deaf. (as you knew from orig post when i found this forum and posted shortly after finding out he was/is Deaf.) the kids are now 7,6,3..

here's an update.

we stuck to our plan - and my husband is currently finishing up an ASL interpreter degree. i will go thru the program next.

my kids are all proficient in ASL. the hearing kids can switch between languages w/o even thinking about it - we found a GREAT Deaf church that we've been attending for the last couple of years. we 'tried' out several different hearing churches that has interpreters . . or their 'idea' of interpreters. wasn't a fit for us, so we were so thrilled when we found our current church - we even are members of the church we attend.

my husband actually posts on these forums apparently - every once in a while, he'll mention a thread that caught his eye and he'd post on it.

one of the first thigns i did after we learned of william's deafness was to read anything and everything i could get my hands on - i borrowed literally EVERYTHING in the ohio library system on deafness and any related topics. that was a LOT OF READING!

after all that, we decided that CI's were not our decision to make. so william will make that decision for himself should he decide that's the route he wants to take. for now, he does wear hearing aids that supposedly bring his hearing up to and into the 'speech banana'. he hates them. so we don't 'make' him wear them except during school hours. summer and weekends, nope. he's ASL only and has no real desire to learn/hear english. (some days, i envy him that he can just 'take his ears out' and the world becomes a much calmer, quieter place. - it's a noisy world we live in!)

i've had some very interesting experiences getting terps for my son. apparently it's VERY uncommon for hearing folks to request terps for their deaf kid. so i deal with getting that handled. i have a feeling my husband posted on here actually about the dentist experience where the dentist knowingly and intentionally chose to break the law and refused to get a terp for william. we now have a different dentist. explaining to hearing folks that i'm a mom, NOT a terp (even though they see me signing away to all the kids - regardless if they're hearing or deaf) and that my kid needs a terp is challenging. been very enlightening on what most deaf folks go thru - esp if they ever voice.

Mountain Man is your husband?

welcome back and i am proud of you and your hubby are involved in ASL for your family. its neat for all of you communicate with your son.

yup that man is mine. :) he's an awesome, incredible, amazing, fantastic, gentleman. gosh i could yammer on and on about him, but i need to get dinner on the table. . . .

blessings!

Welcome Back Happyfrog!!

I'm so glad things have worked out the way they have for your family!!! (aww, I have tears, seriously - it's kinda emotional, in a good way!)

I hope you'll post more often and share your positive experience with other parents here :)

BTW, how's William doing with reading etc ? I know you said ASL only, but I'm sure you mean ASL and written/read English (or getting there, being he's 6).

I'm sure you've found a tone of great reading resources, on teaching Deaf kids to read - feel free to post them as we're always looking for that type thing :)

Where I live we're fortunate to have a number of Hoh/Deaf mentors for kids - they come to the family's home and teach them (all) how to read to their child, and how to help their child learn how to read (and write) etc in English as well as give info on Deaf Culture, Community, and various socialization activities in the area.

That's Wonderful News ! I'm sure that
you already knew it's our Good Lord's plans
for you and your family He chose you to
be the parents of a deaf child.

Welcome Aboard !

Will I guess it was the Good Lord day off when I was born !

here's an update.

Welcome!!!!!!! What about schooling? Are they in a regional dhh program or any thoughts about Ohio School for the Deaf or St. Rita's, for the future?

Welcome!!!!!!! What about schooling? Are they in a regional dhh program or any thoughts about Ohio School for the Deaf or St. Rita's, for the future?

Ohio school for the Deaf. yep. just finished iep for that school as we live in a different district.

never heard of st. rita's. i don't think that's near me.

Ohio school for the Deaf. yep. just finished iep for that school as we live in a different district.

never heard of st. rita's. i don't think that's near me.

Oh so he's currently going to Ohio School for the Deaf? That is AWESOME!
St. Rita's is in Cinninatti (right?) and I think is a bit more academic then Ohio school for the Deaf

I just found this forum thru a google search.

Hope it's ok if I lurk here and learn from ya'll.

My 5 month old (will be 6 months old on the 16th) is severe to profoundly deaf. I and my family plan to learn ASL and make that our primary language at home so that he will learn his language and become bilingual with both ASL and English (not sure of all the right terminology). I also want to learn as much as I can about the deaf culture and want to find out where to meet up with other deaf people (in regular meetings, etc) so that I and my family can become more proficient in the use of sign and also so that my son will have exposure to his culture.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

It's hard for me to have online time as I have 2 young children. I will try to be online as often as possible, though. :)

Sincerely,
BettyAnn
Mommy to the two cutest, most adorable mud monsters ever!
AboutMyBaby | Online scrapbooks about your child

You're doing exactly what my hearing parents had to do.

Hi, I am hearing, and I just wanted to say that I think that it is amazing that you are embracing your child's language! There needs to be more parents like you! Thank you for not trying to "make your child" like you, and for accepting him the way he is! I dont have children, but i had a strong desire to learn sign language for many reasons. One because i work with babies and children everyday and believe its important for them to learn the language from the beginning and I will soon be teaching my kindergarten class (I am a classroom aide) and I teach the children I baby sit for every week. and two being the obvious; to communicate with deaf people.. and three because i never know if i will have a hearing or a deaf child, and I want my child right from the start to feel accepted and signing to him is the obvious way, i want to know ASL before i have children so we are not both learning at the same time :) ...... So thank you thank you for being yet another parent out there who cares more about your child, and what is best for him, then a parent who thinks about what is best for you! :ty:

Back