Jury recommends death sentence for Cleveland Serial Killer

No matter how this is resolved, it is no occasion for celebration.

Yes, I watched local news TV about him. I hope he would be sentenced to death by jury on friday.

No matter how this is resolved, it is no occasion for celebration.
I thought it was ok b/c I really dont know what it is like to lose a family member to a serial killer? I couldnt believe a lady was wearing an Indians hat in the courtroom.:shock:
Yes, I watched local news TV about him. I hope he would be sentenced to death by jury on friday.

You hope? Wow. You're wrong. The jury recommended death and the judge has the final say on Fri. weather to overrule and give him life without parole. I feel bad how he was raised. His parents didnt nurture him.

I thought it was ok b/c I really dont know what it is like to lose a family member to a serial killer? I couldnt believe a lady was wearing an Indians hat in the courtroom.:shock:

You hope? Wow. You're wrong. The jury recommended death and the judge has the final say on Fri. weather to overrule and give him life without parole. I feel bad how he was raised. His parents didnt nurture him.

It is a tragic situation for each and every person involved. Invoking the death penalty just makes it all the more tragic. JMO

Either life in prison or death sentence, it still won't bring the people he killed back. I'm just glad he got the punishment he will never get away from.

Im not surprised. I was wondering about it as soon as I woke up,today. The families are happy so that is good.

Sowell's Imperial Ave house should torn down? Fear of haunting.

It is a tragic situation for each and every person involved. Invoking the death penalty just makes it all the more tragic. JMO

I can not speak for the family... but if someone harm my children or love one in such manner, I would want the maxium sentence done for that person. I would feel insulted by the justice system if it was anything less.

I can not speak for the family... but if someone harm my children or love one in such manner, I would want the maxium sentence done for that person. I would feel insulted by the justice system if it was anything less.

I'm glad that is your position because it is mine to. The death penalty is punishment for the most heinous and serious crimes committed by criminals. These criminals do not deserve one extra breath of fresh air.

Well, that is understandable. But "maximum sentence" does not have to be death. Since it has been shown over and over again that the death penalty does not have a reductionist effect on violent crime rates, we can't say that we use it to prevent more violent crime from ocurring. It really is just a desire for revenge, and revenge should never play a part in any justice system.

I'm glad that is your position because it is mine to. The death penalty is punishment for the most heinous and serious crimes committed by criminals. These criminals do not deserve one extra breath of fresh air.

Who is deserving of life and not deserving of life is not your judgement to make. To take such upon yourself is simply to put yourself in the same mindset as a murderer who takes it upon themselves to decide who deserves to live and who doesn't. One cannot serve justice when one is behaving the same as the criminals.

Well, that is understandable. But "maximum sentence" does not have to be death. Since it has been shown over and over again that the death penalty does not have a reductionist effect on violent crime rates, we can't say that we use it to prevent more violent crime from ocurring. It really is just a desire for revenge, and revenge should never play a part in any justice system.

I do not see it as revenge.. I see it as a punishment and justice.

Death penalty does not scare people as much anymore since they hardly actually execute people anymore. Appeals and delays are constant. Many die in prison before they are even executed.

Death penalty does not scare people as much anymore since they hardly actually execute people anymore. Appeals and delays are constant. Many die in prison before they are even executed.

But what is the motive behind that "punishment and justice"? That is what needs to be examined.

Actually, the death penalty, even when it was used at the most frequent rate, is not a deterrent on violent crime. That is because of the very nature of violent criminal acts. And that especially holds true in the case of someone like this individual, who obviously suffers from more than one mental disorder.

There is a really good book called "Executing the Mentally Ill". If you can find a copy of it, it will really make you think.

But what is the motive behind that "punishment and justice"? That is what needs to be examined.

Actually, the death penalty, even when it was used at the most frequent rate, is not a deterrent on violent crime. That is because of the very nature of violent criminal acts. And that especially holds true in the case of someone like this individual, who obviously suffers from more than one mental disorder.

There is a really good book called "Executing the Mentally Ill". If you can find a copy of it, it will really make you think.

What is the motive to putting a person in prison? Revenge???

I am not for the death penalty. My reason.. is because, it cost more to put people on death row. It cost the taxpayers way more money to detain a death row inmate, than to put an inmate in for life.

If I wanted revenge I would kill the person myself. :P

I will make a note of the book and check it out. :)

What is the motive to putting a person in prison? Revenge???

I am not for the death penalty. My reason.. is because, it cost more to put people on death row. It cost the taxpayers way more money to detain a death row inmate, than to put an inmate in for life.

If I wanted revenge I would kill the person myself. :P

I will make a note of the book and check it out. :)

No, not truly. The purpose of putting someone in prison, under our criminal justice code is to separate the person from society while they are given the opportunity to be rehabilitated. But, rehabilitation is hard to find in our criminal justice system as it is practiced.

There are 4 different types of justice. Restorative, distributive, procedural, and retributive. Our criminal justice system was designed to function on the principles of restorative and distributive justice. The death penalty is retributive.

We also need to keep in mind, when it comes to the death penalty, that our justice system is not perfect. Innocent people have been incarcerated numerous times, and there are cases where innocent people were on death row. Until the risk of executing an innocent man can be removed 100% we run that risk with every death sentence. I am not comfortable with the risk of even one innocent person being executed.

Let me know what you think of the book. I have recommended it many times, and people have always had a strong reaction to it.

That's true for the most part. There are states, however, that use it frequently.

Florida and Texas being two of them.

Back