Jury Duties Call

deafironchef

Reaction score
VEry funny ..... when i arrive from anchorage i saw paper that jury duties call ed on mail and i ask my step mother what that . mom say " oh i did call for you and told them you still in school and they say ok " so i told my mother no iw ant to go . mom say who will pay for interperter .. i was laugh in my mind .. i told mother court will pay . mom alway say are you sure court will pay ? i say by ada law yes mom say sight ok you can . IN my mind For God sake i am 20 not your baby anymore. so i call court cleak and told them i need interperter next three week and they say ok let me see what i can do so i try to saw for few day and call them back see hwat up . One Thing they say DO you need interperter i say yeah i have request . and oh why notline messgae i say no i am fifth grade read level and need asl interperter . they said what it lot most to pay interperter i say you kow ada law she say yeah so iw ait they told me i have ineterper ready and meet her and know here already so went in with 38 jury and i am deaf so after jury repoert that can'T balh blah balh so left 22 then they call us back and hope they will be called my name so it did and it work :) ( LMAO BECAUSE THEY TRY TO CUT OFF THE MONEY THEY HAVE TO PAY :) SO today i am jury they will talk about crimeal ....

ANything that happen to you while ada law and interperter ?

For me personally, jury duty is very boring having to sit in a big room with other people and wait til they call your number. I was pretty fortunate not getting picked and having to sit in a trial yayaya

Good thing it worked out for you and you liked jury duty. Yes, most courts are pretty good at proving an interpreter. Its ADA law they MUST!

IF a prospective Deaf juror is selected to be on a jury, then the court must provide an interpreter for the trial process. IF the prospective Deaf juror is NOT selected for a trial, then no interpreter is needed. Therefor, many courts simply dismiss all prospective Deaf jurors so they won't need to hire an interpreter. The ADA does NOT require a court to accept a Deaf juror. Each court jurisdiction works out its own criteria for jury selection.

My Deaf friend was excused from jury duty because the court didn't want to hire interpreters. My friend didn't request to be excused; the court decided that. The courts can excuse prospective jurors for whatever reasons they want.

I'm a hearing person. I've been called to jury duty several times. Sometimes I served on a trial jury, once I was excused because I requested it, and a few times the court excused me for its own reasons.

I been called to jury duty 2 times. The first one was about a feud between 2 insurance companies that settled just minutes before trial. The second one was of a mother suing the police for killing her autistic adult son in which I was booted off the pool by the cops attorneys.

They're good with interpreters only drawback that you sit many hours in a swampy room listening to announcements and be tortured with replays of a video that's made in the early 70's of the legal system.

Richard

...They're good with interpreters only drawback that you sit many hours in a swampy room listening to announcements and be tortured with replays of a video that's made in the early 70's of the legal system.

Richard
Was the video part of the case you were sitting on? Each trial is different.

Why would you want to be on jury duty?

What if you get behind in school?

Secondly, the pay for jury duty sucks.

Why would you want to be on jury duty?

What if you get behind in school?

Secondly, the pay for jury duty sucks.
It's a citizen's duty. If a person is able to serve, then he or she should.

If you are a student, you can get a deferral to another time, like summer break.

No one does jury duty to get rich. :lol:

The people who are most "available" for jury duty are unemployed and retired people. If we all want a fair mix for the jury pool, we have to be willing to do our share.

Each state has a different system for the pool. Some use all registered voters, some use all people with driver's licenses.

People can be deferred for various reasons, such as health, self-employment, travel, child care, school schedule, etc. It depends on the judge's decision, and how many jurors are needed at that time.

Life is full of interruptions. Jury duty is just one of them.

LOL theres big jury assembly room and thats where we sat until they sent us to the courtrooms. They played the video over and over in the assembly room.

Richard

There just boring videos to kill the time til you are selected on trial. The first group of individuals are interviewed by attorneys asking simple questions and if they feel they don't need you then your off the hook. That's what happened to me.

I been called to jury duty 2 times. The first one was about a feud between 2 insurance companies that settled just minutes before trial. The second one was of a mother suing the police for killing her autistic adult son in which I was booted off the pool by the cops attorneys.

They're good with interpreters only drawback that you sit many hours in a swampy room listening to announcements and be tortured with replays of a video that's made in the early 70's of the legal system.

Richard

Richard, you are absolutely right on those videos that they torture us with LOL.. I had to report to the assembly room and just idle there reading a book and magazines to let time pass faster. Its a real snoozer!

LOL theres big jury assembly room and thats where we sat until they sent us to the courtrooms. They played the video over and over in the assembly room.

Richard
Must be a California thing. :dunno:

There just boring videos to kill the time til you are selected on trial. The first group of individuals are interviewed by attorneys asking simple questions and if they feel they don't need you then your off the hook. That's what happened to me.

Richard, you are absolutely right on those videos that they torture us with LOL.. I had to report to the assembly room and just idle there reading a book and magazines to let time pass faster. Its a real snoozer!
I've never experienced that at the courts where I've been called. No videos. Also, they don't allow books or magazines in the court rooms here.

Like I said, each state is different.

I've never experienced that at the courts where I've been called. No videos. Also, they don't allow books or magazines in the court rooms here.

Like I said, each state is different.

Its an assembly room (waiting room) where you wait til you are called to enter the courtroom. In the assembly room , you can bring books, ipods, cd players, and other electronics. When they call you they give instructions what to do before entering the courtroom. Yes, each state is different.

Reba said"My Deaf friend was excused from jury duty because the court didn't want to hire interpreters. My friend didn't request to be excused; the court decided that. The courts can excuse prospective jurors for whatever reasons they want."

That really rubs me the wrong way, Reba. Dontcha agree?

Reba said"My Deaf friend was excused from jury duty because the court didn't want to hire interpreters. My friend didn't request to be excused; the court decided that. The courts can excuse prospective jurors for whatever reasons they want."

Maybe each state is different according to hiring interpreters. I know a friend of mine, who is HOH did serve on jury duty and was treated equally as the hearing person. He did have an experience serving , it was a quick case from what I remembered. It depends on the state I guess :dunno:

Its an assembly room (waiting room) where you wait til you are called to enter the courtroom. In the assembly room , you can bring books, ipods, cd players, and other electronics. When they call you they give instructions what to do before entering the courtroom. Yes, each state is different.
In our courts, you can't even bring any of that stuff into the building.

I don't make the rules. :)

You might be interested in this sentence:

"(People must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language, otherwise, they are disqualified.)"

It's from the FAQ and General Information for Juror Qualification Questionnaires.

South Carolina District Court

Qualifications

Is a citizen of the United States.
18 years of age or older.

Primary residence in South Carolina for the past year.

Able to read, write, speak and understand the English language.

No pending charges for a violation of state or federal law punishable by imprisonment for more than one (1) year.

No conviction of a state or federal crime for which punishment could have been more than one (1) year and civil rights not restored.

No physical or mental disability that would interfere with or prevent a person from serving as a juror.

Jury Duty Excuse, Exemptions, Qualifications

Excuses from Service

Persons over 70 years of age.

Persons who have served as a grand or petit juror in Federal Court within the past two (2) years.

Persons having active care and custody of a child or children under 10 years of age whose health and/or safety would be jeopardized by their absence for jury service; or a person who is essential to the care of aged or infirm persons.

Any person whose services are so essential to the operation of a business, commercial, or agricultural enterprise that the enterprise must close if such person were required to perform jury service.

Volunteer safety personnel. (Personnel who serve without compensation as fire fighters or members of a rescue squad or ambulance crew for a "public agency.")

It's a citizen's duty. If a person is able to serve, then he or she should.

If you are a student, you can get a deferral to another time, like summer break.

No one does jury duty to get rich. :lol:

The people who are most "available" for jury duty are unemployed and retired people. If we all want a fair mix for the jury pool, we have to be willing to do our share.

Each state has a different system for the pool. Some use all registered voters, some use all people with driver's licenses.

People can be deferred for various reasons, such as health, self-employment, travel, child care, school schedule, etc. It depends on the judge's decision, and how many jurors are needed at that time.

Life is full of interruptions. Jury duty is just one of them.
I understand... but to pick jury duty over education?

I've seen some students do the same. They picked jury duty over education and then blamed their jury duty on their failed education. Yet, the school usually didn't listen for it was the student's choice... not the government's choice.

If I was REQUIRED to go to jury duty, regardless of education... then the school would be understandable. If it was NOT required due to education, then it would fall upon my decision whether to serve jury duty (and get behind in school) or to say 'no' (and keep up with school)... and the school would base my issue on that decision.

I was once called to jury duty years ago, but I got out of it because I was still in college. :)

Back