Junk yards closing….

Also they pay disposal fees such as oil/coolant/freon/tires/batteries to complying with EPA regulation. Also they pay permit/EPA licenses. Expensive....

Exactly, that is what I'm talking about, not to mention the spot inspections by the EPA and the state regulators, and if they find anything the fines can be ugly. A friend of mine has a wrecking yard and he's ready to close it because of all the BS he has to go through. In addition to the feds and the state people he also has to deal with the city people who want the front of his yard to be "pretty." It's all pretty insane with these govt. idiots who have no clue on what it takes to run a business or sell something because all they know is if they come to work, put in a little work each day, then in 30 years they will get a fat retirement compliments of the tax payers, never mind the hell they put people through getting to retirement.

All the yards here now have a shed/warehouse. They take the vehicles in first to drain oils, gas and strip parts for repair shops then set them in the yard. They have a fenced off section of new arrivals that you cant touch till they do their surgeries on them first.

The junk yards of Pick Ur Parts in California, they pierced gas tanks, take batteries and cat converters off from the vehicles before toss it on the lot where the peoples are about to pulling the parts out...

It's all about trading.... we get goods, we send them metals.

If we change that and stop trading, we'd make goods here unfortunately at a higher price.

I talk about the oldie vehicle parts are reproduce in USA.

Ummm older cars yeah, newer cars No. Not saying every make now but mostly. Straight from the body shop my man... check into it, some panels wont fit the next year.

Mostly? I drove on Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Corvette, Camaro, Grand Caravan, Jeep, RAM, etc. They are 2009-2013 and not much change to me. I said newer cars still change body types each 2-3 years. Not each year like you said.

I said newer cars still change body types each 2-3 years. Not each year like you said.

Ditto, I have a 2003 crown vic and the body frame and parts are still universal for models all the way up to 2011.

IMO what contributed to the downfall of junkyards is the internet. eBay, craigslist, online car forums, etc... now provide people a cheap and convenient source of parts.

Yep, vehicle ages very fast... once purchased new will become old in a few years. Designs changes on a faster pace than old school.

I talk about the oldie vehicle parts are reproduce in USA.

When restoring a vehicle we want original parts not a reproduction. Period. Original factory parts from older vehicles are pricey cause those are hard to find and a fully restored matching numbers car will pull in big bucks.

Yep, OEM parts are better than reproduction, reproductions doesn't hold the value very well.

When restoring a vehicle we want original parts not a reproduction. Period. Original factory parts from older vehicles are pricey cause those are hard to find and a fully restored matching numbers car will pull in big bucks.

Sad to see vintage cars are being thrown away. There won't be many of them left in this world. Pretty sure there is more vintage cars that is too deteriorated beyond restoration out there and might face the same fate.

When I lived in California I dated a guy that worked on his cars and truck and he rented a garage out . There was a guy there who had vintage cars and they where so cool . They all been restores , I wanted one so bad but they not for sale. There are few people in my city that are into vintage cars and they only drive them during the summer so no salt can get on them.

The junk yards of Pick Ur Parts in California, they pierced gas tanks, take batteries and cat converters off from the vehicles before toss it on the lot where the peoples are about to pulling the parts out...

exactly, the surgery....lol

Mostly? I drove on Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Corvette, Camaro, Grand Caravan, Jeep, RAM, etc. They are 2009-2013 and not much change to me. I said newer cars still change body types each 2-3 years. Not each year like you said.

Depending on the makes...like I said too

Also they pay disposal fees such as oil/coolant/freon/tires/batteries to complying with EPA regulation. Also they pay permit/EPA licenses. Expensive....

Nope, they recycle for the extra money. The tires are ground to make playground cover, tracks for high schools, batteries are sold for the lead if no one buys them...ect...
Oil is recycled, not used oil is refined and sold in your autoparts stores.
They also recycle and sell old coolant as well, you take a jug and fill it for a small fee... I would never use it ( mainly the poor buy it for their junkers )
Argue if you will, thats what they do here and just across the river in Il too

Exactly, that is what I'm talking about, not to mention the spot inspections by the EPA and the state regulators, and if they find anything the fines can be ugly. A friend of mine has a wrecking yard and he's ready to close it because of all the BS he has to go through. In addition to the feds and the state people he also has to deal with the city people who want the front of his yard to be "pretty." It's all pretty insane with these govt. idiots who have no clue on what it takes to run a business or sell something because all they know is if they come to work, put in a little work each day, then in 30 years they will get a fat retirement compliments of the tax payers, never mind the hell they put people through getting to retirement.

Can't your friend put up a fence and plant some flowers in front it to made people happy?

How about newer Ferrari's body change in every year? Me? I dunno.

Now the OEM parts in OP, are crushing and gone... What next? Find cloned parts in somewhere. Best cloned parts is USA made period.

Nope, they recycle for the extra money. The tires are ground to make playground cover, tracks for high schools, batteries are sold for the lead if no one buys them...ect...
Oil is recycled, not used oil is refined and sold in your autoparts stores.
They also recycle and sell old coolant as well, you take a jug and fill it for a small fee... I would never use it ( mainly the poor buy it for their junkers )
Argue if you will, thats what they do here and just across the river in Il too

At a gas station, we pay oil recycler to come to pick up used oil/coolant/oil filters. They charge us about $150-200, we charge customer $3.00 dollars for hazard fee in oil service. Disposal fee for tire is $1.00 each and $2.00 for big tire. The tire guy come to collecting old tires, charge small fee. Interstate battery guy pick up old batteries. I don't know how much for battery disposal fee.

At a gas station, we pay oil recycler to come to pick up used oil/coolant/oil filters. They charge us about $150-200, we charge customer $3.00 dollars for hazard fee in oil service. Disposal fee for tire is $1.00 each and $2.00 for big tire. The tire guy come to collecting old tires, charge small fee. Interstate battery guy pick up old batteries. I don't know how much for battery disposal fee.

It depends who they do business with, if they pay to have it picked up apparently its just to get it out of the shop/workplace as with anything... But if they are recycling thats a different story because they will pay you to come get it. Lets just say they refine it and sell it for $10 a gallon and you are getting rid of 55 gallon drums of oil/fluids, thats $550 profit to a recycler but they will probly only pay you $20 for that drum due to their costs of picking it up, refining and repackaging it...ect... just as an example. So if the shop is disposing or recycling theres a difference because if they dispose of it, our costs are higher, if they recycle we save as the costs arent reflected back to the consumer. I know shops that do this, and my Buddy's shop, they recycle Laquer thinner used for cleaning the paint guns, and they buy it back as well cheaper than buying fresh thinner as its just for cleaning paint off the guns, then they rinse using fresh thinner before storage. Its all hand in hand.

It depends who they do business with, if they pay to have it picked up apparently its just to get it out of the shop/workplace as with anything... But if they are recycling thats a different story because they will pay you to come get it. Lets just say they refine it and sell it for $10 a gallon and you are getting rid of 55 gallon drums of oil/fluids, thats $550 profit to a recycler but they will probly only pay you $20 for that drum due to their costs of picking it up, refining and repackaging it...ect... just as an example. So if the shop is disposing or recycling theres a difference because if they dispose of it, our costs are higher, if they recycle we save as the costs arent reflected back to the consumer. I know shops that do this, and my Buddy's shop, they recycle Laquer thinner used for cleaning the paint guns, and they buy it back as well cheaper than buying fresh thinner as its just for cleaning paint off the guns, then they rinse using fresh thinner before storage. Its all hand in hand.

At a gas station, we have an used oil tank stationed on the outside just side of the shop, other 2 gas stations both have underground used oil tanks where I uses to be a subbie for technician's place. Yeah, I wonder they make good profit from used oil recycling....

Can't your friend put up a fence and plant some flowers in front it to made people happy?

He actually did and it made the city happy! The crazy part is he's in an industrial section of the city, but because he is on the corner the city made some special requirements for he and the business across the street. The reason he is ready to quit is he is tiring of all the red tape with all the other govt. agencies.

Back