Judge rules California's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
(CNN) -- A federal judge in California on Wednesday overturned the state's ban on same-sex marriage, saying the voter-approved rule violated the constitutional rights of gays and lesbians.

The decision, issued by Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker in San Francisco, is an initial step in what will likely be a lengthy legal fight over California's Proposition 8, which defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

At stake in the trial was whether California's ban on same-sex marriage violated the constitutional rights to equal protection and due process of two gay couples that want to marry.

The case was watched closely by both supporters and opponents of same-sex marriage, as many say it is likely to wind its way up to the U.S. Supreme Court. If it does, the case could end in a landmark decision on whether people in the United States are allowed to marry people of the same sex.

"We are thrilled with today's ruling, which affirms that the protections enshrined in our U.S. Constitution apply to all Americans and that our dream of equality and freedom deserves protection," said Geoff Kors, executive director for Equality California, shortly after the decision.

Kristin Perry and Sandy Stier, along with Jeffrey Zarrillo and Paul Katami, are the two couples at the heart of the case, which if appealed would go next to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals before possibly heading to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Outside a San Francisco courthouse, a small group of same-sex marriage supporters waited for the decision. They waved flags and carried signs that read: "We all deserve the freedom to marry." Rallies were planned for later in the day.

Proposition 8 is part of a long line of seesaw rulings, court cases, debates and protests in California over the hotly debated issue of same-sex marriage. It passed with some 52 percent of the vote in November 2008.

Prior to Wednesday's decision, Rick Jacobs, founder of the Campaign Courage, which supports same-sex marriage, said he was hopeful about the possibility of victory, but prepared for a long legal battle.

Same-sex marriage is currently legal in five U.S. states and in the District of Colombia. Civil unions are permitted in New Jersey.

"The significance of the case is earth-shattering," said Jacobs.

Judge rules California's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional - CNN.com

I'm happy about the ruling. I haven't read the opinion yet. It's really long. My husband read it and liked it a lot. On to the 9th Circuit!

I'm happy about the ruling. I haven't read the opinion yet. It's really long. My husband read it and liked it a lot. On to the 9th Circuit!

Second here, me too.

Yep, glad to hear it!

You know, I have a question of the straight people here that often visit this forum and are opposed to gay marraige. What exactly would allowing gays to marry take away from you?

Yep, glad to hear it!

You know, I have a question of the straight people here that often visit this forum and are opposed to gay marraige. What exactly would allowing gays to marry take away from you?

NOTHING! That's the point!

NOTHING! That's the point!

Bingo. That is why I asked it.:lol: Gay marraige doesn't threaten the life and liberty of the straight population at all. So why all the opposition? Has to be a matter of intolerance and prejudice.

But it does open a can of worms! Hold your horses and wait for the coming tide of "oddball" requests to be married. Then you will see how messed up this is.

But it does open a can of worms! Hold your horses and wait for the coming tide of "oddball" requests to be married. Then you will see how messed up this is.

You must be kidding.

Let em get married I dont give a damn.. Everyone has a right for the govt not to dictate who we are to love and want to spend the rest of our life with.

Oh GEEEZZ!! Talk about intolerance!!

What can of worms??? :roll:

I have no patience for people who are bigoted especially about something that has no direct impact on his/her life.

Oh GEEEZZ!! Talk about intolerance!!

What can of worms??? :roll:

I have no patience for people who are bigoted especially about something that has no direct impact on his/her life.

Yup, agreed.

Oh, like now people are going to want to marry their animals, their trees, their cars, right? Cause marrying another human being who just happens to be the same sex equates to that sort of mental illness... :roll:

Oh, like now people are going to want to marry their animals, their trees, their cars, right? Cause marrying another human being who just happens to be the same sex equates to that sort of mental illness... :roll:

I am tempted to marry a can of worms just to shut him up. :lol:

That is one way of looking at it....but I am not thinking of animals, trees, cars, etc....I am thinking of person-to-person relationships
All you haters out there who hate me need to put on your thinking caps and figure it out......oh, forgive me...thinking is toooooo much work for you

That is one way of looking at it....but I am not thinking of animals, trees, cars, etc....I am thinking of person-to-person relationships
All you haters out there who hate me need to put on your thinking caps and figure it out......oh, forgive me...thinking is toooooo much work for you

Take off the tinfoil hat.

Back