It's A Parents Decision

Just finished reading all the posts and it seems to be the same thing over and over again. First of all, naturally i'm going to be very active in the CI threads, i want to know about other parents with their dhh kids and their experiences with the CI.I am always checking out other topics but why should i post something and then be drilled implanting my daughter. Who said anything about not exposing their child to sign? For now she dosent sign but i've stated numerous times in other posts that we were in the process of learning. We chose to expose her to oral language first and if that is such a crime, so be it. I am glad i chose that route first for her and now we are in the next phase which is signing. I just can't seem to see the problem, she is 6 years old and has good language and speech skills that are going to help her in life and she is still young enough aquire good signing skills. Am i saying that you have to speak in order to make it in this world, no of course not but i am trying to knock down some barriers for her and making sure she has both oral and signing skill. For now it's up to us, the parents to make decisions on our children behalf and make sure we prepare them for life. When she gets older she will be prepared to be apart of what ever she chooses and as long as she has her parents and her famlies love and support by her side, i know she will be just fine. It's not about the deaf world or the hearing world, it's about being an individual and being comfortable in your own skin and i will make sure of that.

r2d2 said:
What about Lilysdad? He participated in other parts of Alldeaf, learned to sign and even attended deaf events. What do you know - he was still made to feel unwelcome to the point that he decided to leave this site. I remember how enthusiastic he was about wanting to learn more about deaf culture but now he wants nothing to do with it and it's all to do with the reactions he has received. He still wasn't good enough because he had chosen to give his DD a CI.

It's a two way problem and people really have to acknowledge this

R2 - don't forget Cloggy - he's REPEATEDLY stated he and his wife use sign with their daughter (though less lately, and thats been HER choice,) and its been ignored, time and time again.

Then there's Fragmenter (deaf father) and his mother Greema (deaf grandmother) who talked about his son - that's a generationally deaf family, but I guess it doesn't count for anything either, because the same people keep saying "parents don't talk about teaching their CI implanted children sign language) even when proof that parents DO is put right in their faces. No wonder most of those you and I have mentioned have left this forum.

Just finished reading all the posts and it seems to be the same thing over and over again. First of all, naturally i'm going to be very active in the CI threads, i want to know about other parents with their dhh kids and their experiences with the CI.I am always checking out other topics but why should i post something and then be drilled implanting my daughter. Who said anything about not exposing their child to sign? For now she dosent sign but i've stated numerous times in other posts that we were in the process of learning. We chose to expose her to oral language first and if that is such a crime, so be it. I am glad i chose that route first for her and now we are in the next phase which is signing. I just can't seem to see the problem, she is 6 years old and has good language and speech skills that are going to help her in life and she is still young enough aquire good signing skills. Am i saying that you have to speak in order to make it in this world, no of course not but i am trying to knock down some barriers for her and making sure she has both oral and signing skill. For now it's up to us, the parents to make decisions on our children behalf and make sure we prepare them for life. When she gets older she will be prepared to be apart of what ever she chooses and as long as she has her parents and her famlies love and support by her side, i know she will be just fine. It's not about the deaf world or the hearing world, it's about being an individual and being comfortable in your own skin and i will make sure of that.

:gpost:

Agree on the merry go round sentiments. Somethings never seem to change...

Ahhh, takes me back to a great Beatles song..."Let it be..."

neecy,

We were speaking generally, it's not about Cloggy, It's not about Fragmenter or anyone else in particular. Those who left the forum doesn't make it my fault. Everyone has their up and down in this forum and But, if some want to take a break away from this forum and quit all together, for all that means they are allow to, but pointing fingers doesn't sure help none. They are not the only people that been pushed down, we all have experience that once or twice in this forum. ;)

My point is though Cheri - you keep bringing up that parent's won't teach their implanted children sign language when there have been repeated examples here telling you themselves that they DO use sign!

My point is though Cheri - you keep bringing up that parent's won't teach their implanted children sign language when there have been repeated examples here telling you themselves that they DO use sign!

The difference is most of parents with CI children sign either in PSE, SEE or SimCom, not in ASL. I think Cheri was talking about ASL.

Right, Cheri?

The difference is most of parents with CI children sign either in PSE, SEE or SimCom, not in ASL. I think Cheri was talking about ASL.

Right, Cheri?

Why should it matter which form of sign they are using as long as they are communicating with sign. The whole point is that they are able to communicate with another language other then oral. It's whatever works best for that child whether it be ASL, PSE or whatever. To nitpick about which form to use is a bit much.

:gpost:

Agree on the merry go round sentiments. Somethings never seem to change...

Ahhh, takes me back to a great Beatles song..."Let it be..."

Me thinks you're right. I think we just all have to accept that we have different viewpoints and experiences, share our views in a mature manner and then just get on with life. The problem comes is when someone starts believing that their own personal experiences should define how everyone else should be living their lives. I think we can learn from people's experiences and I certainly hope that parents are learning, but to actually tell people what to do and what language to use? No.

neecy,

We were speaking generally, it's not about Cloggy, It's not about Fragmenter or anyone else in particular. Those who left the forum doesn't make it my fault. Everyone has their up and down in this forum and But, if some want to take a break away from this forum and quit all together, for all that means they are allow to, but pointing fingers doesn't sure help none. They are not the only people that been pushed down, we all have experience that once or twice in this forum. ;)

I only brought up examples of actual parents because the comment was made that parents made no attempt to participate other parts of AD, with the implication that if they did that it would be all flowers and roses. I was trying to see if the claim really held water, by looking at parents who had done this.

Cheri, with all due respect, CIs for children is a very culturally sensitive area and even if a parent does all the right things such as teaching the child ASL, going to deaf events there are always going to be people who will still have a problem with it.

I don't think it's possible to please everyone in life. I think that we just have to share our views, respect each other and our right to raise our children as we see fit and get on with it.

I only brought up examples of actual parents because the comment was made that parents made no attempt to participate other parts of AD, with the implication that if they did that it would be all flowers and roses. I was trying to see if the claim really held water, by looking at parents who had done this.

Cheri, with all due respect, CIs for children is a very culturally sensitive area and even if a parent does all the right things such as teaching the child ASL, going to deaf events there are always going to be people who will still have a problem with it.

I don't think it's possible to please everyone in life. I think that we just have to share our views, respect each other and our right to raise our children as we see fit and get on with it.
There is no need to... and we don't have to appease those culturally deaf folks!

but why should i post something and then be drilled implanting my daughter
. Well, you know..........this place is actually pretty moderate re: CIs. Five or ten years ago, you would have seen EVERYONE bashing on CI. It's not as bad as it used to be! I think its basic venting. A lot of the hearing parents here, are AWESOME!!!! NOBODY is ranting on them......if you've actively ensured that your dhh kid will have access to both worlds.....FABOLOUS! Personally I do think that Kayla could have been exposed to Sign a little earlier..(the language window closes at five....and that's ALL languages, not just spoken ones)........but, at least you're actively equipting her with a full toolbox, and not assuming that b/c she can talk and hear, that there's no place for ASL and Deaf culture. Deaf culture is in the midest of a change...........and hell.....it'll prolly make Deaf culture a lot more hoh friendly, and there'll be less seperatist extremists!

There is no need to... and we don't have to appease those culturally deaf folks!
the irony is delicious.

if we didn't appease you folks - the threads will be locked within five minutes and our posts will be reported within 30 seconds.

respect and appeasement are two-way streets, you know.

Your children, your decision.

One question I have...many of your children go to oral schools right? How many of those oral schools or programs emply deaf people as aides or teachers?

That's what you think of us "those culturally deaf folks?" Niceeeeeee

Last edited:
Well due to respect rockdrummer, I dont agree with you, We deaf people know what's best for all of us, Most of us have shared the same experience in our life, We also learned from that experience and hope no other hearing parents make the same choice that our hearing parents have made for us, that's why it's important to hear us out, get the knowledge of what we have experience in our walks of life, I know for matter of fact a child would be more happier if parents give a child many opportunities as possible and be involvement in both worlds not one world. It's important to keep an open mind in all opportunities. That's all I'm saying. ;)
Well Cheri: My Deaf nephews and niece (who ALL HAVE Deaf parents and are immersed in the Deaf community and use ASL as their language) all go to a hearing, mainstreamed school.. not one of them go to a Deaf or oral school... I guess in their case they aren't the "deaf people who know what's best for all of us" , huh?

Originally Posted by shel90
I can understand that it looks like there is a lot of negativity towards the parents and I think I know why. Cheri brought up a good point about parents saying they come here to learn about deaf culture but it is kinda hard to believe that if they are not participating in the other threads besides the CI threads.
Originally Posted by rockdrummer
With all due respect I have to disagree with that. Read through those threads and you will find a lot about deaf culture interwoven throughout the posts. Alot of it comes from responses from people such as yourself that make sure the Deaf culture aspect is known. That helps create balance. One thing you have to consider is that not everyone is going to take the deaf route. That's a reality and each persons choice should be respected as long as they have done their homework. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Well due to respect rockdrummer, I dont agree with you, We deaf people know what's best for all of us, Most of us have shared the same experience in our life, We also learned from that experience and hope no other hearing parents make the same choice that our hearing parents have made for us, that's why it's important to hear us out, get the knowledge of what we have experience in our walks of life, I know for matter of fact a child would be more happier if parents give a child many opportunities as possible and be involvement in both worlds not one world. It's important to keep an open mind in all opportunities. That's all I'm saying. ;)
HUH????? You don't agree that deaf culture issues have been brought up in the CI threads? I'm at a loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
HUH????? You don't agree that deaf culture issues have been brought up in the CI threads? I'm at a loss.
I don't know about Cheri but I have stated before deaf culture is not just about CIs or oral vs. ASL. There is so much more to it and usually the good stuff..like for example, I play on a deaf softball team and each summer we participate in the NSAD (National Softball Association of the Deaf). It is a great event that brings literally thousands of deaf, hih and hearing people together. That's what is so great about Deaf culture...ASL storytelling, shows, plays, sports, events, and many more.

It seems to me that most of the parents' only interest in deaf culture was about CIs. That's probably what Cheri meant. If I am wrong Cheri, let me know.

It seems to me that most of the parents' only interest in deaf culture was about CIs. That's probably what Cheri meant. If I am wrong Cheri, let me know.

You're correct that's what I mean. ;)

This part I don't agree with, "One thing you have to consider is that not everyone is going to take the deaf route. That's a reality and each persons choice should be respected as long as they have done their homework." You can't just rob a deaf child out of a deaf culture, a child is deaf no matter what, a deaf child should learn about it's deaf culture too, not just the hearing world that's my point from the moment on. I don't understand why is it so hard to understand. :confused:

This part I don't agree with, "One thing you have to consider is that not everyone is going to take the deaf route. That's a reality and each persons choice should be respected as long as they have done their homework." You can't just rob a deaf child out of a deaf culture, a child is deaf no matter what, a deaf child should learn about it's deaf culture too, not just the hearing world that's my point from the moment on. I don't understand why is it so hard to understand. :confused:
I don't agree with that either and I was simply pointing out that the reality is that some parents will take that route. There is no arguing that point. It's a fact. The real point in my response was that deaf culture issues are discussed in the CI threads. Peace!

Back