Is your hearing with your CI good enough to speak on the phone?

I have not been able to use a landline phone since my implant surgeries. I can manage ok on a cell, IF the person I am speaking with speaks clearly and slowly. I too use the cables and that does help a great deal. I choose to use the phone rarely as I find I get headaches when I spend too much time listening. Without the aid of reading lips I have to concentrate really hard to catch what the other person is saying.

When I was being "trained" to hear on the phone, I found that for some reason landline phones were just too difficult. No matter what type of phone I used. I could only hear enough to even try to learn to use a phone with a cell phone. No idea why, but I know I am not the only one, as my AVT therapist told me she had another client who was the same way.

Lotte is using a cellphone (and house phone) without problems and especially without reservations..
But I think that's pretty rare...
Here's an old video from 2008 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VTL8YeNQLA"].[/ame]... .. and here from 2009..[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZZF7E3pRfQ"]..[/ame]..
Guess it's time to make a new one..

Yes. I can hear 95 to 100 percent on the phone (Freedom CI) even if it's windy outside right by the Atlantic ocean.

Let's move on to the Invisible CI.

Reason for Editing: I get mad about the Invisible CI never happening, so I say crazy things sometimes. I deleted the last two sentences LOL

Last edited:
that's why I'm not too worried about hearing on the phone... text text text! or instant messaging on the phone. or emails if whoever I'm contacting doesn't text.

For some reason my daughter can use an iphone just fine (she has 2 CIs), but tends to have difficulty hearing on our home phone handset unless she hits the speakerphone function. One complication we find is that we place her processors on top of her head, not behind the ears, which means that if she's using one of our home handsets, she has to hold it up pretty high to detect sound coming from the phone, and away from her mouth. With speakerphone that's a non issue, and we don't notice as much of a problem with cell phone. But otherwise, she hears and carries on conversations just fine using cell phones. She doesn't yet text, but then, she's only just turned 6 :), and her most frequent (daily) phone buddies are currently her grandmothers, one of whom has never touched a computer, much less a smartphone with texting ability.

I think we've had quite a few threads surveying for cell phone usage with CIs. I think the last one turned up a 50/50 split, or maybe a little higher for cellphone use.

For some reason my daughter can use an iphone just fine (she has 2 CIs), but tends to have difficulty hearing on our home phone handset unless she hits the speakerphone function.
I think we've had quite a few threads surveying for cell phone usage with CIs. I think the last one turned up a 50/50 split, or maybe a little higher for cellphone use.

Sounds to me like she needs both CI's to hear more clearly....I find that true with my CI's.

In my experience some cell phones are crystal clear, others have that 'staticy' sound which makes it much more difficult. Landlines are a crapshoot....some days the voices are clear, others are crappy, and the speaker quality varies.

Sounds to me like she needs both CI's to hear more clearly....I find that true with my CI's.

In my experience some cell phones are crystal clear, others have that 'staticy' sound which makes it much more difficult. Landlines are a crapshoot....some days the voices are clear, others are crappy, and the speaker quality varies.

I think you are right -- makes a huge difference when he has just one on vs. 2 in everyday situations, maybe that comes into play with certain phones, too.

I am having my surgery next week. How do you learn about all these different attachments to help you with the phone and such? Is it when I get activated? I have been given very little information. I have 5 more days and I find myself questioning my decision. I have a brutal loud HUMMMM 24/7. Has anyone been helped with their noises with a single CI? Any information will be SO appreciated.

I am having my surgery next week. How do you learn about all these different attachments to help you with the phone and such? Is it when I get activated? I have been given very little information. I have 5 more days and I find myself questioning my decision. I have a brutal loud HUMMMM 24/7. Has anyone been helped with their noises with a single CI? Any information will be SO appreciated.

You will likely place an order via your audi or clinic (check with them, they may have placed it for you with most popular items, ours did that for our first CI). When you get activated, your ci clinic or audi will typically give you a massive box of stuff that's included and show you how to use everything and set it all up for you: we got 2 full sets of processors plus 2 sets of accessories including various snug fits and clips and cords, rechargeable plus disposable batteries and battery chargers and dry & store boxes and travel cases, remotes, etc. It was all included in the start-up package, no extra charge.

We had an appointment with our ci clinic audi just to go over this sort of logistical thing and ask questions about mapping schedules and expectations before surgery. I can get in to see my audi (or email) within 24 hours if ever I need to ask about something. I think that facing surgery you should be provided a chance -- even in the next couple of days -- to ask them anything you need to know to feel comfortable. Can you draft up your questions and shoot them to the clinic? Or is there something general about CIs that some of us might answer for you (without knowing your medical issues)? Happy to help if I can.

It was pretty terrifying for us right before surgery, both times (maybe more the 2nd time than the first), but I wouldn't have had my daughter go through the surgery if I was questioning whether I'd put enough thought and research into making the decision. Are you just nervous about surgery or really thinking that perhaps you don't want to begin the CI journey that follows, which is pretty challenging? Or that you haven't yet researched enough? Why don't you postpone if uncertain and take time to really think about it hard?

I am having my surgery next week. How do you learn about all these different attachments to help you with the phone and such? Is it when I get activated? I have been given very little information. I have 5 more days and I find myself questioning my decision.

About 3 to 4 weeks after your surgery, you will visit your audi and she (most are women, don't know why, but anyway...) will explain everything to you. Since you are going to be nervous, you will not remember what she said on the first day....:lol:

Actually, you are going to be overwhelmed with the new sounds and will not be using the accessories for at least a few WEEKS after activation. You will also be seeing your audi often during the first six months.

I have a brutal loud HUMMMM 24/7. Has anyone been helped with their noises with a single CI? Any information will be SO appreciated.

I get the loud humming after turning my CI's off for about 30 seconds, then all is quiet. It goes away after a few months. I cannot answer your question as to whether the CI will stop the humming, but for your sake, I hope the CI will at least give you enough sound to mask the humming.

I had questionable feelings before my first, but am glad I got it. You can always leave the CI off if you don't think it works for you.

Edit: And what Grendel says, too....

...Since you are going to be nervous, you will not remember what she said on the first day....:lol:

:laugh2: So true! We watched the video we made of the entire 2 hour activation appointment as if it was something we'd never seen before!

WOW you all are amazing. This is so new to me since I was never able to wear a hearing aid. So just talking about "audis" was questionable until I came to this site. I have done so much research and so has my good friend. I think since I was so sick last year and in the hospital for a month, my nerves are getting the best of me. Also since my case is so "unique" the outcome is a not as clear. I hope you guys are around the next 5 days, I will certainly need your support. THANK YOU!!!!!!

:cool2:
...... One complication we find is that we place her processors on top of her head, not behind the ears, which means that if she's using one of our home handsets, she has to hold it up pretty high to detect sound coming from the phone, and away from her mouth. ..
Since the BTE's were too big for Lottes ears, we has them pinned on the shoulder... When using a telephone we would take them off the shoulder, and hang them on the ear. But at this museum, she didn't wait for us to help her... How easily they adapt... (August 2009.. click on the pictures)

(More here..)

Back