Is tomato a Veg or Fruit?

• Fruit

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • Vegetable

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Both, or i don't care

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
I have read some where that it is both since tomoto is the group of vegetable but it has seeds inside therefore it is a fruit.

Tomatoes are one of my favorite veggie umm fruit! I buy them from farmer market, bring them home, slice them and put sugar on them. Yummmmmmy! When I move again in a few years, I plan to grow tomatoes among with other veggies in the garden. I love tomatoes the best when I picked them from plant and bite into red, juicy tomatoes! I eat cherry tomatoes like grapes for snacks.

I voted tomatoes as fruit even though they tasted like a veggie.

I thought tomatoes are VEGETABLES because it has alot seeds inside tomatoes but I still dont understand why fruits has seeds too...

Well.. instering views on your option..

I believe its a fruit :P since it has seeds inside such as orange, banana, apple, all have seeds :D

its very tricky question cuz i had an arguement with a friend at work that i think tomatoes are fruits he thinks its veg.. cuz Vegatable is a term of a food that's grown underground from a root.... tomatoes are grown in air from the plant...

DeafSCUBA98 said:
Well.. instering views on your option..

I believe its a fruit :P since it has seeds inside such as orange, banana, apple, all have seeds :D

its very tricky question cuz i had an arguement with a friend at work that i think tomatoes are fruits he thinks its veg.. cuz Vegatable is a term of a food that's grown underground from a root.... tomatoes are grown in air from the plant...

Vegetables have seeds too.

This is just getting crazy

Why are you all guessing? I'm giving an answer from a botonast while you are just pulling things from memory or opinion.

It's all about SEX.

GOt your attention?

The part of a fruit that reproduces is the "fruit"

Here's a quote for the more scientifically minded that should help both sides.

"The confusion about 'fruit' and 'vegetable' arises because of the differences in usage between scientists and cooks. Scientifically speaking, a tomato is definitely a fruit. True fruits are developed from the ovary in the base of the flower, and contain the seeds of the plant (though cultivated forms may be seedless). Blueberries, raspberries, and oranges are true fruits, and so are many kinds of nut. Some plants have a soft part which supports the seeds and is also called a 'fruit', though it is not developed from the ovary: the strawberry is an example. As far as cooking is concerned, some things which are strictly fruits may be called 'vegetables' because they are used in savoury rather than sweet cooking. The tomato, though technically a fruit, is often used as a vegetable, and a bean pod is also technically a fruit. The term 'vegetable' is more generally used of other edible parts of plants, such as cabbage leaves, celery stalks, and potato tubers, which are not strictly the fruit of the plant from which they come. Occasionally the term 'fruit' may be used to refer to a part of a plant which is not a fruit, but which is used in sweet cooking: rhubarb, for example. So a tomato is the fruit of the tomato plant, but can be used as a vegetable in cooking."

Liza said:
Wrong... tomato is the most despicable kind of food if you can call it that... nuff said! :D

Bann tomatoes! Bann tomatoes... :cheers:

Aww, Liza.. You don't like 'maters? LOL

Well, I do. But, I will tell you...

To ME, the most vile vegetable on the planet HAS to be the carrot. I find that they taste a lot like dirt. LOL :barf: Nope! No carrots for this chick!

Oceanbreeze said:

To ME, the most vile vegetable on the planet HAS to be the carrot. I find that they taste a lot like dirt. LOL :barf: Nope! No carrots for this chick!

:laugh2: Carrots are OK -- my favourite vegetables are the eggplant, brussel sprouts. ;) I basically like just about any types of vegetables. It's a good thing because they're HEALTHY as heck! :lol:

PurpleRose71 said:
:laugh2: Carrots are OK -- my favourite vegetables are the eggplant, brussel sprouts. ;) I basically like just about any types of vegetables. It's a good thing because they're HEALTHY as heck! :lol:

LOL MOST people like carrots, I think. I just don't happen to be one of them. Even my family can't understand why I dislike them so much. I just shrug and say, "They taste like dirt to me, that's why." LOL

Another one of my least favorite veggies is lima beans. No dirt taste there. Just MUSH! lol

Oceanbreeze said:
LOL MOST people like carrots, I think. I just don't happen to be one of them. Even my family can't understand why I dislike them so much. I just shrug and say, "They taste like dirt to me, that's why." LOL

Another one of my least favorite veggies is lima beans. No dirt taste there. Just MUSH! lol
carrots are one of the most healthy veg.. it makes your eyes stay healthy :D once u get older.. ur eyes will fail cuz u don't eat carrots :P

Hmm...now I wonder about squash.
Summer squash, acorn squash, and zuchinni seem like veggies, but pumpkins and cantalopes (and other melons) seem like fruit. They all have seeds and grow on vines. Cucumbers? What else?

Oceanbreeze said:

You can have my 'maters if I can have your carrots :ty: Works for me...

PurpleRose71 said:

YUK on the eggplants (tried it a few times).... though you should give brussel sprouts to Bowak! :thumb:

Malfoyish said:
I'll second that, chickie. :lol: NO tomatoes for me!!!! As a matter of fact, gimme one of those "Bann tomatoes" posters you've printed up. ;)

Actually I'm okay with spaghetti sauce or tomato-based foods like that, but if you're going to serve me salad or sandwiches where the tomato is over 1/10 inch thick, then I don't want it. LOL. I'll eat it in chili, pasta, even a sandwich if everything else on it negates the nasty taste. :) LOL....okay, I'm gonna bow out of this now before the tomato lovers come after me with...well...tomatoes. :nana:

LOL.... Dixie made a pro-'mater poster for me *growls* I'm gonna make a new poster of banning 'maters. :P :P

Yeah, I'm the same way chickie... ketcup, tomato paste, tomato soup... are allright with me... ;) But 'maters?? NO

I gotta thank OceanBreeze for coining 'maters, gonna make it real easy to not shudder while I spell the whole vile thing out! It also rhymes with how I feel about it.... :D :D

Liza said:
YUK on the eggplants (tried it a few times).... though you should give brussel sprouts to Bowak! :thumb:

Why should I give Bowak the brussel sproutsa?!?!? I LLLaaarrrvvveee 'em! :D

Attachments

• poke.gif
    poke.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 19
Liebling:-))) said:
Liza, tomatoes are very beautiful mmmmmhhhhh...

I ate cottage cheese with 4 tomatoes at lunch time today... Sorry, I'm tomatoes lover. :nana:

don't forget roma tomatoes, they're kinda ulgy. :-P

sequoias said:
don't forget roma tomatoes, they're kinda ulgy. :-P

B E A U T I F U L

I´m roma tomatoes crazy. I can eat 10 roma tomaotes a day

Sorry, Tomatoes haters :bye:

Back