Votes: 24 66.7%
  • Vegetable

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Both, or i don't care

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you think tomato itself is a fruit or a veg.. and why?

2 : any of a genus (Lycopersicon) of So. American herbs of the nightshade family; especially : one (L. lycopersicum syn. L. esculentum) that is more or less perennial in its native habitat but is widely cultivated as an annual for its edible fruit

A fruit. Nuff' said.

It's a fruit AND vegetable -- that's for a fact, but a lot of people consider it a vegetable because of the varied usage of it, like in salads and so forth...but it's actually a FRUIT AND VEGETABLE! ;)

I put in the wrong vote -- didn't see the last one, derr me! :lol:

Tomato facts

Wrong... tomato is the most despicable kind of food if you can call it that... nuff said! :D

Bann tomatoes! Bann tomatoes... :cheers:

Technically it is a fruit cos its got seeds but don't look for it next to the oranges and apples!

To "lobbing a tomato Liza's way" usi

Liza, tomatoes are very beautiful mmmmmhhhhh...

I ate cottage cheese with 4 tomatoes at lunch time today... Sorry, I'm tomatoes lover. :nana:

Liza said:
Wrong... tomato is the most despicable kind of food if you can call it that... nuff said! :D

:rofl: Lizachickie!! I knew you'd come in here and say something like what you said!! :laugh2:

Attachments

• new_tomato.gif
    new_tomato.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 86
Liza said:

I'll second that, chickie. :lol: NO tomatoes for me!!!! As a matter of fact, gimme one of those "Bann tomatoes" posters you've printed up. ;)

Actually I'm okay with spaghetti sauce or tomato-based foods like that, but if you're going to serve me salad or sandwiches where the tomato is over 1/10 inch thick, then I don't want it. LOL. I'll eat it in chili, pasta, even a sandwich if everything else on it negates the nasty taste. :) LOL....okay, I'm gonna bow out of this now before the tomato lovers come after me with...well...tomatoes. :nana:

Nooooooo....Don't banned tomatoes!!!! :slap:

I love tomatoes, and sure can't eat a sandwich without tomatoes on it!....

*putting a tomato in Malfoyish's Christmas stocking*.... :twisted:

^Angel^ said:
Nooooooo....Don't banned tomatoes!!!! :slap:

I love tomatoes, and sure can't eat a sandwich without tomatoes on it!....

*putting a tomato in Malfoyish's Christmas stocking*.... :twisted:

I am soooo going to get you for that, ^Angel^. In fact, I think I'll give you some lemons. ;)

Technically fruit but in usage, vegetable.

It's funny, the Supreme Court had to make a ruling on this same question in 1887.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/frame...http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch8.html

Vine-ripened tomatoes are the most yummy.

In the South here they also serve fried green tomatoes. Not bad, but not the same at all like a fresh ripe garden tomato.

My grandmother used to make tomato aspic for salads during the winter because "in the olden days" you couldn't get fresh tomatoes in the winter in New England. It was like a V8 jello. Ugh! If I can't have a real tomato, forget it.

TOMATOES! It is a FRUIT!!

:shock: :barf:

My husband used to be a Produce Manager for Supermarket, now he is the manager of the store.. He said Tomatoes are FRUIT! :dunno:

LMAO the debate on tomatoes remind of :

The Reagan Administration's attempt to classify

w_ketchup_14oz.gif

as a vegetable!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040716.html

Malfoyish said:
I am soooo going to get you for that, ^Angel^. In fact, I think I'll give you some lemons. ;)

:giggle: ....My boys loves lemon , I'll just give it to them! :nana:

i agree with PurpleRose -- i read some time ago that Tomatoes are classified as both a fruit AND veggie -- so thus i voted for BOTH! :lol:

i personally do NOT like tomatoes but go figure ill eat them as salsa when theyre mixed up with other stuff in the salsas! :lol:

It's a fruit silly

"Fruit" means offspring.

Any part of a plant that is (usually) a flower and then buds into a seed holder is the "fruit".

If you think of fruits as sweeter things and vegetables as more salty... then tomatoes often get referred to as vegetables in cooking and dietary circles.

But it is a fruit. All other "vegetation" such as leaves or roots or stems are the "vegetables"

Grapes are fruit and grape leaves are vegetables.

Another vegetables that should be called fruit are squash, pumpkin, okra, cucumber, and beet.

Back