Is this true about Gallaudet?

Nah, I won't fail it. I've looked at it. Nothing I can't handle. The math section is still a joke. The reading and writing section isn't too bad. It looks so much like the new SAT test I took, compared to ya'll who took the older version that's on 1600 scale.

The practice tests they show you online are nothing like the actual GRE. It's great that you have confidence, but that can work against you. I know more than one person that thought they were going to whiz through the GRE just because they had a high GPA as an undergrad. They all got a rude awakening. I even found the subject test difficult, and I had a 4.0 in my major.

it's funny that you think GRE = SAT :laugh2:

They are not the same at all. Just put out my the same company. But as far as content....all I can say is "good luck" if you think you will walk in and ace it. Especially without any preparation at all. And the online practice tests are a joke when it compared to the actual test.

They are not the same at all. Just put out my the same company. But as far as content....all I can say is "good luck" if you think you will walk in and ace it. Especially without any preparation at all. And the online practice tests are a joke when it compared to the actual test.

So just the company can make you feel super confident by looking at the practice tests and make you think you can ace it and then on the test day...you bomb it....hence, paying out more $$$$ just to retake it over and over-->ETS get more $$$ by this way. LOL.

It's so annoying that they had to add the fucking writing section!! I hate the writing section! I wish it was equally English and Math section, not two English and one Math section. Ugh >.<

The GRE has always had a writing section. The bulk of the work one does in grad school is writing. Most programs require you to be published before they will give you your master's degree.

So just the company can make you feel super confident by looking at the practice tests and make you think you can ace it and then on the test day...you bomb it....hence, paying out more $$$$ just to retake it over and over-->ETS get more $$$ by this way. LOL.

The people putting out the practice tests are not even the same people that actually do the GRE. The practice tests are a joke and a waste of money. Instead of looking for a short cut, there are several GRE study guides available that will do you more good than the online practice tests.

But you showed it who the boss was, right?

Oh,yeah. But it wasn't easy. I left the testing site looking like I had gone without sleep for about a week.:giggle: Talk about stress. The whole time you are sitting there thinking, "I gotta do this or there is no hope for grad school. All that preparation out the window."

Oh,yeah. But it wasn't easy. I left the testing site looking like I had gone without sleep for about a week.:giggle: Talk about stress. The whole time you are sitting there thinking, "I gotta do this or there is no hope for grad school. All that preparation out the window."
Yeah. Know the feeling.

Is gallaudet university in washington d.c. considered as ivy league school? - Yahoo! Answers

Around 90% of the deaf students entering Gallaudet are required to take 2 years of developmental math before they are able to take a math course for college credit. In addition, about 75% of the incoming students have to take development reading and writing just to get up to the 8th grade level used in the college-credit courses.

They go on to say that the academics are not rigorous at all.

I had never heard this before, is this true?

Depends on what your perception of what "rigorous" is. If you're planning to work for NASA as a rocket scientist, you may need to pass an algebra test. If you're planning to draw comic books, you may not need it.

The overall admission rate at Gallaudet is 67%. Unfortunately, this doesn't tell us who is applying to this school in particular (hoh, hearing, deaf, etc. and then comparing those numbers against "public schools", "public schools that are deaf", "private schools", etc.). Another point, there are better indicators (or at least more publicized) for race then there are for disabled people.

If that 90% figure above is believed to be true (as in all deaf students that try to pass the math entrance test are all exactly from deaf high schools) then it says a lot about deaf high schools or deaf education in general compared to hearing schools. "college" level math is probably a big "gap" between a deaf school than it is a hearing school. Why? Maybe it's competition at hearing schools? I don't know enough to say much about deaf education in high schools, so I'll keep my opinions very limited.

Being an international relations major would probably require a foreign language as 90%ish of jobs out there with that sort of majorial focus wanted employees with that sort of skill. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have that perception during high school (hearing). Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have passed up French in high school (I took ASL) as it is the official language of the United Nations (which is based in New York). Once my French hit a wall during my upper division classes where I just struggled, I sought to quickly earn ASL credits to meet the major requirements. Unfortunately for me, those classes were a 100 mile bus trip three days a week. I quickly switched my major to Political Science. What I'm trying to say is, if you really want to be "successful" in the career path you want to be on, pay attention to what is generally required between here and there for everybody. Your competition for jobs is much more focused when employers are reviewing your applications.

Maybe "Ivy Leauge" is just a termed reserved for a series of like-minded private schools where Gallaudet doesn't seem to fit that category. "Ivy League" is an exaggerated term to make it sound elitist so it's really not that important. What's important is finding a job you love and living a great life.

Oh, I was very math-oriented in high school. Took Advanced Algebra 2 in my junior year and then after 2 years I had to take Algebra 1 after bombing the community college "placement" exam. Highlight of my college career. Aced the other math entrance exams at a state university (during senior year of high school), but for whatever reason, I bombed this one after my freshman year in community college. I didn't pass the English exit exam until my Junior year of high school and ended up finishing a major which is heavily oriented in English. Must've been the Philosophy class I took first semester of community college.

Physics was one of the classes in high school that I enjoyed the most.

Depends on what your perception of what "rigorous" is. If you're planning to work for NASA as a rocket scientist, you may need to pass an algebra test. If you're planning to draw comic books, you may not need it.

The overall admission rate at Gallaudet is 67%. Unfortunately, this doesn't tell us who is applying to this school in particular (hoh, hearing, deaf, etc. and then comparing those numbers against "public schools", "public schools that are deaf", "private schools", etc.). Another point, there are better indicators (or at least more publicized) for race then there are for disabled people.

If that 90% figure above is believed to be true (as in all deaf students that try to pass the math entrance test are all exactly from deaf high schools) then it says a lot about deaf high schools or deaf education in general compared to hearing schools. "college" level math is probably a big "gap" between a deaf school than it is a hearing school. Why? Maybe it's competition at hearing schools? I don't know enough to say much about deaf education in high schools, so I'll keep my opinions very limited.

Being an international relations major would probably require a foreign language as 90%ish of jobs out there with that sort of majorial focus wanted employees with that sort of skill. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have that perception during high school (hearing). Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have passed up French in high school (I took ASL) as it is the official language of the United Nations (which is based in New York). Once my French hit a wall during my upper division classes where I just struggled, I sought to quickly earn ASL credits to meet the major requirements. Unfortunately for me, those classes were a 100 mile bus trip three days a week. I quickly switched my major to Political Science. What I'm trying to say is, if you really want to be "successful" in the career path you want to be on, pay attention to what is generally required between here and there for everybody. Your competition for jobs is much more focused when employers are reviewing your applications.

Maybe "Ivy Leauge" is just a termed reserved for a series of like-minded private schools where Gallaudet doesn't seem to fit that category. "Ivy League" is an exaggerated term to make it sound elitist so it's really not that important. What's important is finding a job you love and living a great life.

Oh, I was very math-oriented in high school. Took Advanced Algebra 2 in my junior year and then after 2 years I had to take Algebra 1 after bombing the community college "placement" exam. Highlight of my college career. Aced the other math entrance exams at a state university (during senior year of high school), but for whatever reason, I bombed this one after my freshman year in community college. I didn't pass the English exit exam until my Junior year of high school and ended up finishing a major which is heavily oriented in English. Must've been the Philosophy class I took first semester of community college.

Physics was one of the classes in high school that I enjoyed the most.

**nodding** People tend to forget, I guess that Gally is a liberal arts college. Same as the college I attended for 2 degrees. Strong on humanities, weak on science and math. But as a psych major, that was exactly what I needed.

I think you're a fake. I think you have posted nothing but lies. You said repeatedly at the beginning how rich your parents are. As if you were bragging. Now you're talking about needing scholarships and loans?

I was thinking the same thing. Something is a little fishy.

Moreover, There's only one "deaf" (student body is mostly deaf, but not completely deaf. But definitely a stronger proportion of deaf students than any other schools) University in the world, so it's kind hard to judge what is considered "ivy league" of the deaf universities. If you got accepted into ANY Ivy League school, would you still choose Galludet?

I emphasize any, because I imagine those schools are more or less competing with other and try to distinguish themselves as being "better" or "different" than each others. For example. I went to UC Davis for Political Science. While UC Berkeley has a more well-known Political Science program as being "better" by the public, the perception among Political Scientists themselves is that they're the same quality, just a different emphasis. Davis is more data-hungry and Berkeley loves to theorize frames like no other. I'd rather collect data. However, all the UC is funded by one fund, so all other schools are considered when school administrators want to start making changes to specific majors.

Some might say that those changes are specifically made to induce future alumni donors.

How is Gallaudet funded? I'm very curious to see some comparisions between different systems and proportions of where funding comes from.

Back