Is there a law that prohibits it?

I ddidn't say anything bad but I still don't like what happened. Can you imagine that my hearing co-workers agree with me? They don't like it, either.

there's nothing you can do. nothing illegal has been committed.

I don't even understand what you want from us? Obviously, to our knowledge, there is no law that specifically states that a supervisor cannot keep the notes "as evidence". (Honestly, if you call your notes evidence for something, then you got bigger problems.) So now you're upset about a lack of law for this, but it isn't as if we can change it. There is probably no law just because no one thought about it or abused it enough to make someone to do something about it. So if you wrote something bad to her (which honestly, to me, is the only reason why you're getting your panties in a twist over this) and you want to save your job, looks like you would have to hire a lawyer to look into this.

OR

You and your supervisor simply have an angry relationship, and you simply want to have the last word and have something to show her so that you can say "See? It's illegal. I own you."

I gotta say, Daredevel7 got it nailed to the point on how I see it too!!

Qualified interpreter to be provided for a deaf person is not unreasonable.
Not what I am talking about. I am sure YOU know it is reasonable, but the person who hires them may think a person who knows fingerspelling is "good enough" because it's cheaper and they don't care or really know what is adequate.

I guess most of you, commenters don't understand my situation.

So I am gonna give you two examples.

First example is that when a supervisor talks with a deaf employee about a serious issue by writing, he/she keeps written notes as evidence to be put in file.

Last example is that when a supervisor talks with a hearing employee about a serious issue by verbal, he/she can't keep anything as evidence to be put in file (no tape-recording).

Can't you see the big difference between those two examples? If you can't, that's unbelievable.
Did you ever think that the supervisor keeping notes can protect both you and the supervisor? Less chance of miscommunication.

If simply keeping notes were enough then it wouldn't be necessary for hearing employees to have union reps present. Since union reps are present at disciplinary meetings for hearing and deaf members, then the rep can even say, "Where's the interpreter? No interpreter, no meeting. Get an interpreter, then we'll meet again."

I've traveled many miles for these kinds of meetings only because it was "required."

Only if it is written into the employee's file and the request is a standing one. Nor does it hold true for day to day communications. A terp and a union rep do not follow a deaf employee around for any and all communication with a superior.

This was obviously not a disciplinary "meeting" as the OP's introductory sentence was:

For example, at work my supervisor or co-worker and I communicate by writing .

I was not addressing Federal standards for disciplinary meetings, but for day to day communications as was stated in the OP.

Having terped for Federal employees involved in disciplinary meetings, I will defer to you regarding that situation.

Not what I am talking about. I am sure YOU know it is reasonable, but the person who hires them may think a person who knows fingerspelling is "good enough" because it's cheaper and they don't care or really know what is adequate.

Ad most employers will use other accommodation that are readily available.

I guess most of you, commenters don't understand my situation.

So I am gonna give you two examples.

First example is that when a supervisor talks with a deaf employee about a serious issue by writing, he/she keeps written notes as evidence to be put in file.

Last example is that when a supervisor talks with a hearing employee about a serious issue by verbal, he/she can't keep anything as evidence to be put in file (no tape-recording).

Can't you see the big difference between those two examples? If you can't, that's unbelievable.

Actually, you're not entirely correct. In a PUBLIC building (including offices) there is no assumption of privacy - so while the boss may not be able to have a tape recorder running in the desk drawer, if the security system they have in place records both audio and video they CAN use that for evidence.

The part I don't get is that you seem unwilling to use any of the solutions we've suggested - the easiest and best of which is a portable white board or PDA.

You say you don't want to be bothered to carry anything around that would allow you to communicate in a manner that allows you to "wipe" your conversation (portable/fold-able white board, PDA etc) and would put YOU in control - but then you whine and complain about the fact that THEY are keeping THEIR paper after you use it (which is ironic considering you are demanding they use THEIR paper, which DOES give them the right to KEEP IT, because it's THEIR PROPERTY!!)

I don't mean to be rude - but judging by your posts, I'm going to guess that you write some less than "smart" things on your notes. I mean on this thread you've been a racist, a smartass, and just obnoxious ... and honestly if you write like that to your boss (or talk like that via the interpreter) I'm more than a little shocked that you are still working there because here racial slurs and derogatory remarks are plenty to get you instantly fired.

The ADA and other laws are NOT in place to remove accountability (you write well enough that if you say something offensive/racist etc in a note you know what you've said, it's not a language problem) it's meant to provide critical access and prevent employers from refusing to hire someone who CAN do the job simply because that person is disabled.

If you write a stupid note to your boss ... or admit to your boss in writing that you hit/yelled at them/use a slur towards/stole from someone etc THAT is on YOU ... it's a totally separate issue from ADA. If you have requested an interpreter for a disciplinary or other official meeting and then decide to write a note regarding that situation without the interpreter present - that's YOUR fault, not your boss - all you have to write is "I require an interpreter present before discussing this. thank you" and THAT'S IT!

Only if it is written into the employee's file and the request is a standing one. Nor does it hold true for day to day communications. A terp and a union rep do not follow a deaf employee around for any and all communication with a superior.

This was obviously not a disciplinary "meeting" as the OP's introductory sentence was:

For example, at work my supervisor or co-worker and I communicate by writing .

I was not addressing Federal standards for disciplinary meetings, but for day to day communications as was stated in the OP.

Having terped for Federal employees involved in disciplinary meetings, I will defer to you regarding that situation.
I agree that they don't get terps for daily work. In addition to disciplinary meetings, they usually get terps for training, department meetings, command meetings, and awards ceremonies.

Sure they can....In fact businesses do it all the time

Actually, you're not entirely correct. In a PUBLIC building (including offices) there is no assumption of privacy - so while the boss may not be able to have a tape recorder running in the desk drawer, if the security system they have in place records both audio and video they CAN use that for evidence.

The part I don't get is that you seem unwilling to use any of the solutions we've suggested - the easiest and best of which is a portable white board or PDA.

You say you don't want to be bothered to carry anything around that would allow you to communicate in a manner that allows you to "wipe" your conversation (portable/fold-able white board, PDA etc) and would put YOU in control - but then you whine and complain about the fact that THEY are keeping THEIR paper after you use it (which is ironic considering you are demanding they use THEIR paper, which DOES give them the right to KEEP IT, because it's THEIR PROPERTY!!)

I don't mean to be rude - but judging by your posts, I'm going to guess that you write some less than "smart" things on your notes. I mean on this thread you've been a racist, a smartass, and just obnoxious ... and honestly if you write like that to your boss (or talk like that via the interpreter) I'm more than a little shocked that you are still working there because here racial slurs and derogatory remarks are plenty to get you instantly fired.

The ADA and other laws are NOT in place to remove accountability (you write well enough that if you say something offensive/racist etc in a note you know what you've said, it's not a language problem) it's meant to provide critical access and prevent employers from refusing to hire someone who CAN do the job simply because that person is disabled.

If you write a stupid note to your boss ... or admit to your boss in writing that you hit/yelled at them/use a slur towards/stole from someone etc THAT is on YOU ... it's a totally separate issue from ADA. If you have requested an interpreter for a disciplinary or other official meeting and then decide to write a note regarding that situation without the interpreter present - that's YOUR fault, not your boss - all you have to write is "I require an interpreter present before discussing this. thank you" and THAT'S IT!

:gpost:

I agree that they don't get terps for daily work. In addition to disciplinary meetings, they usually get terps for training, department meetings, command meetings, and awards ceremonies.

Agreed. That would hold true for non-Federal employees as well. I work with a couple of rehabilitation counselors on a consultation basis. They contact me regarding accommodations because they know that I have a lot of experience with deafness. Those are the times that I tell them to request terps and to have it written into the employment contract.

I didn't mean to make a racist remark. You know how some black women behave when they talk like the plaintiffs and/or defendants on several Judge Judy shows where Judge Judy says "I don't like that attitude so stop it or get out of my court". My supervisor is one of them. Most of my co-workers don't like her because of her inappropriate behavior. Even my union rep can't stand her. That's the way she is.

Why did I write it in the first place? She demanded my answer in writing to her question immediately and then set up the meeting with an interpreter one week later. I am not worried about what I said to her in writing but it's not fair for deaf workers because any supervisor doesn't keep records of hearing workers' voiced correspondences. In other words, my right is violated when a supervisor keeps the note while she/he can't do that to hearing workers who speak with their voices. That's my point. There should be a law to protect that right.

Don't try to tell us that you're not just a bit racist because you were with that statement.

Her skin color has nothing to do with anything. If you brought it up, it bothers you.

End of story.

Back