Is the CI really a "threat" to deaf culture ?

deafdyke

Reaction score
I just finished reading an article in my local paper about a woman who underwent CI. I can't find a link to the story, as the local paper's site is rather poorly organized. Anyway the article mentioned that only about 3,000 out of a quarter million people eligable for the implant have thus far gotten it. This shocked me! Do you think that the doomsayers who thought that CI would destroy Deaf culture were being "President Bushes?"

deafdyke said:
I just finished reading an article in my local paper about a woman who underwent CI. I can't find a link to the story, as the local paper's site is rather poorly organized. Anyway the article mentioned that only about 3,000 out of a quarter million people eligable for the implant have thus far gotten it. This shocked me! Do you think that the doomsayers who thought that CI would destroy Deaf culture were being "President Bushes?"

Even if a deaf person DO get a CI, it does not mean that the person is automatically Hearing - he/she still retains a Deaf identity.

It infuriates me that people think just because I get a CI, I am no longer a Deaf person or a willing & active participant in Deaf Culture. I am still Deaf and I still sign. Not a damn change except that I can hear more but it does not change my INNER SELF!

People are instilling fear because they feel threatened themselves. They need to gather information and look at facts before instilling fear/paranoidness in members. Deaf Culture will be extinct one day but not because of Cochlear Implant but because there are less babies being born deaf these days compared to in 1950s to 1970s. Over the centuries, many cultures have changed or vanished so this is no exception.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computers hurt drawing

Computers still can't replace drawing, and most artists knew that.

However, so many teachers and students who THOUGHT that computers would replace drawing, stopped learning how to draw.

Now there are very few drawing teachers from the lack of interested students. Now that students KNOW they need to draw, there are not a lot of resources. It's hard to find cheap classes.

My point?

If enough people THINK CI can replace ASL they will stop teaching it and it will be harder for people to find classes.

So while CI won't ever kill deaf culture, it can hurt it by making people think "eventually everyone will hear, so ASL isn't important anymore.".

Even if a deaf person DO get a CI, it does not mean that the person is automatically Hearing - he/she still retains a Deaf identity.

It infuriates me that people think just because I get a CI, I am no longer a Deaf person or a willing & active participant in Deaf Culture. I am still Deaf and I still sign. Not a damn change except that I can hear more but it does not change my INNER SELF!
Agreed. I think a lot of the anti-CIers are the same people who are against people like ME (audilogically hoh) being involved in Deaf culture or IDing as Deaf. I mean now we have people who have UNILATERAL losses and even people with perfect hearing IDing as Deaf. I can totally understand why some radical Deaf people are against CIs, since a lot (and I mean A LOT)
of the promo materials for the CI make it sound like a CI is a cure, and works equally well for everyone! Luckily I've seen more down to earth descriptions of the CI in recent years, which is good. (ie instead of making it sound like a miricle cure, it's more "a device that can restore some hearing)
.{QUOTE] Over the centuries, many cultures have changed or vanished so this is no exception.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. And I think actucally that change is GOOD. We hoh folks have been stuck in between the deaf worlds and the hearing worlds with no real sense or feeling of belonging in either world. B/c of some radical folks who insist that we're more "hearing then deaf" many of us didn't get to be a part of the deaf world. We belong in the Deaf world just as much as we do the hearing world. I think with some people getting hoh functional levels with CI, that the Deaf culture will be more open to hoh people who want to become involved in Deaf culture. I mean I think it's great that in the future Deafness won't be the sole pronegy of people with severe-profound or profound losses, but can be for EVERYONE with a loss!

I mean I think it's great that in the future Deafness won't be the sole pronegy of people with severe-profound or profound losses, but can be for EVERYONE with a loss!

Exactly ..we are all more alike than different.

Time to stop labeling everyone ..everyone has a loss period and should group together. Look at the blind community - they banded and lobbyied and got even better tax breaks/benefits.

We all should focus on having a win-win situation so that EVERYONE benefits and there wont be any unnecessary fear/paranoidness/prejudices etc.

Yeah, I find it so ironic that a lot of extreme Deafies think that we Hohies have more in common with hearies then with Deafies...that is such a "hearing world" view. I mean back in the old days (when everyone with a loss was sent off to school) there were all sorts of hearing situtions at schools for the deaf!

Meg said:

People are instilling fear because they feel threatened themselves. They need to gather information and look at facts before instilling fear/paranoidness in members. Deaf Culture will be extinct one day but not because of Cochlear Implant but because there are less babies being born deaf these days compared to in 1950s to 1970s. Over the centuries, many cultures have changed or vanished so this is no exception.

Damn girl! I agree with you! What's so hot about keeping deafness forever? I could care less if it disappears in 10 years. I really don't care. I'll always be me. I am not my deafness.

What's so hot about keeping deafness forever? I could care less if it disappears in 10 years. I really don't care. I'll always be me. I am not my deafness.
Well there are disabilty rights activists who say that disabilty should just be seen as a nautral part of human difference. I cannot imagine being hearing.....besides how do I know being hearing is all that it's cracked up to be? Yes, we deaf and hoh people can "hear" now but it's not like the way hearing people hear. Even I don't hear like hearing people hear, and I only have a conductive loss (I hear by bone conduction since I don't have ear canals or ear drums) Maybe having hearing isn't all it's cracked up to be

Who knows why I became deaf, but I vaguely remember being hearing. I just don't know what it is crystal clear. I just know that when I hear things without lipreading, it's much more relaxing and nothing really different. You just hear words without having to struggle to read lips or whatever form we use. Sometimes I feel like a hearing person trapped in a deaf body. Some people say they feel like something else trapped in a different body? I don't think disability is 'natural' or "normal" like no disability people. It has its own difficulties. However, I do think people should view us as normal people just like them because we are.

Meg said:
Look at the blind community - they banded and lobbyied and got even better tax breaks/benefits.

Yeah last week I went to a state convention for the National Federation of the Blind and they even got legislation passed and signed into law that criminalizes some access offenses against the blind whereas the deafies havent been able to do anything like this.

I'd really like to see some legislation that criminalizes hanging up on relay service calls, refusal to hire interpreters, and interfering with the use of a hearing/signal dog.

Cant we all get along and get some more of our rights protected by the penal codes like the blind folks did?

Richard Roehm

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like a hearing person trapped in a deaf body. Some people say they feel like something else trapped in a different body?
I'm curious, did you lose your hearing? You say you vaguely remember being able to hear.....maybe that's why you don't feel deaf (nereologically speaking)
I have NEVER EVER been able to hear like a hearing person, as my being hard of hearing is the result of a genetic syndrome. I have been hoh since conception! I can understand why you feel that way. I can totally understand. One of my friends was raised as male when s/he ID'd as female. However, some of us don't feel that way b/c we've never experianced it, even for a very short time. It does amaze me that some profoundly and severely deaf folks do not ID as Deaf, whereas many audilogically hoh people (including people with unilateral loss) and people who use Sign as a primary language due to conditions like apraxia or tracheostomies ID STRONGLY as Deaf. I've even met some late-deafened people who ID strongly as Deaf!
I don't think disability is 'natural' or "normal" like no disability people. It has its own difficulties. However, I do think people should view us as normal people just like them because we are.
Well yes, being deaf isn't easy and has it's difficulties but you could say that about being GLB (gay lesbian or bi) or being black or Spanish or whatever. It's funny how people view these things. I was lurking at a board for wheelchair users (both quadepelgics and parapelgics) and there was a thread about how their disabilty had affected their lives. Most of society views ANYONE in a wheelchair as disabled. However, the quads were saying that if they could function as a parapelgic, they wouldn't consider themselves disabled!

I can't say much about this, because I'm hearing.
However, I am curious as to what "Normal" would mean.
I understand the term disabled, and have always simply viewed it as "not able" to do something. Some people have the abillity to walk, some do not. They are not able to walk. Some individuals are born this way, some aquire it through an accident, or some other event.

NORMAL
1 a : according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle
b : conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
2 : occurring naturally and not because of disease, inoculation, or any experimental treatment <normal immunity>

So, as I understand it, the human body has a norm; a healthy, fully functioning individual. There are tons of deviations from this norm.

So people try and judge? This is more abnormal than that? I am more "normal" than you?

Then there is the whole issue of culture thrown into the mix.
Person A - "I was born in Scotland, My parents are Scottish, but I have lived in Canada 22 of my 25 years"
Person B - "I was born in Peru, but have lived in Scotland for 25 years. That's my whole life."
Who is "more" Scottish? Person A, or Person B?

Why can't people focus on the "Quality" of life we have. A person in a wheel chair goes swimming, plays basket ball, has a good job and a family; and he is extremely happy!
If a CI makes someone happy, why is that a big deal.
If someone doesn't want one, and they are happy, then what's the difference.

Again, I am not Deaf so I can not prettend that I know what it is like, So maybe I am completely wrong. But it would be greatly appreciated if you would correct me so I can better understand.

I believe that CI is not a direct threat to the deaf culture. Sure, there's a strong emphasis on oralism when implanting kids with CI. But eventually, those kids will find their way to the deaf community barring that the deaf will accept them.

I am tired hearing the label "HOH" and "deaf" and how it divides the deaf community. To me, they do not make much difference to me. I accept both equally. HOH has a right to be part of the deaf community. They should not be rejected on the basis of their level of hearing loss or even on what communication method they use. :(

Sure, there's a strong emphasis on oralism when implanting kids with CI. But eventually, those kids will find their way to the deaf community barring that the deaf will accept them.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent post Miss Delectable. Many of us here who grew up as oral, now ID strongly as Deaf. Sure there are folks who never feel like the Deaf community is right for them, but most kids raised orally DO eventually pick up Sign as a second language! As long as they don't have the attitude that speech is supeiror to Sign, they'll be accepted.

deafdyke said:
As long as they don't have the attitude that speech is supeiror to Sign, they'll be accepted.

Good point. I suppose that is one legitimate reason why the deaf excludes HOH if they enter the community with a chip on their shoulder. But still.... One needs to find middle ground *shrugs*

No, I don't think CI's are a threat in any way to the deaf culture. What if all the deaf people in existence were to get CI's? This wouldn't change their status, because as it stands, once the CI is removed for sleeping or showering purposes, the person is still deaf.

It just boils down to people's mindsets. Whether or not they're "set" in their ways, and it ALSO has to do with whether or not the person is intent on "hammering" their beliefs into another individual.

What people SHOULD do...and I know this is asking a lot because it'll never happen, LOL...but they SHOULD say "hey, I'm getting a CI - because I WANT to and it's NOT going to alter my perspective of the deaf culture, because upon turning off of my CI, I am still considered deaf, and until my time of death, I will always be deaf."

Wishful thinking, anyway.

Is the CI really a "threat" to deaf culture ?, No I don't think so.

It depend on deaf people who are too proud to be "hearing" after implanted to neglect deaf culture but not all.

It depend on open minded deaf people who knows that they are still deaf and join deaf culture after implanted.

It depend to different people.

Maybe to hearing parents????
I noticed that most hearing parents implanted their children and pulled them to hearing world. It means that they are not accept that their children are deaf. Some CI children don't know that they are deaf because hearing parents want them to be "hearing" like them. What a sad.

[QUOTE=Liebling:)))
Maybe to hearing parents????
I noticed that most hearing parents implanted their children and pulled them to hearing world. It means that they are not accept that their children are deaf. Some CI children don't know that they are deaf because hearing parents want them to be "hearing" like them. What a sad.[/QUOTE]

This is what happened in 1960s when oralism emerged as the top choice for doctors to convince hearing parents of deaf babies to opt for.

Zoom to 2004 - most of these oral deaf people use ASL now and many are active members of Deaf Culture/Community.

You cannot blame it on parents - it is doctors/health insurance companies making bucks out of cochlear implants and playing on hopes/fears of parents.

I dont think CI is a threat to Deaf Culture - I have one myself and do not see myself becoming *excommunicated* from Deaf Community anytime.

Here's what I believe
-CI do not hurt deaf culture, it's just the evolution of deaf culture. Deaf culture will only grow stronger with change, CI's are not a fix and do not even mask a persons deafness. It is obvious and people with CI's will definitely feel will comfortable around others that are deaf/hoh.
-Some people in the hearing world need to get a grip and realize that they should accept deaf people for who they are, whether they have a CI or not. It's not there place to make decisions for others.
-Getting a CI should be one OWN decision, not the parents or anyone else...
-People that get CI's should be respected, it is a scary thing for a deaf person to do, for any surgery has risks. You don't what outcome will and if you would even like being hearing. I believe deaf people do it more for others then they do it for themselves.
-Deafness is mainly acquired through recessive genes. Therefore, most people that are deaf have hearing parents, whom are isolated from the deaf culture. There are SO many people out there right now that are deaf or hoh that have no clue about deaf culture. Many of these people get CI's, since there whole life they have been raised mainstream. So, when a person so as this comes to the deaf community for the for first time, some people want to reject them because of this. This is a horrible thing to do and these people who think less of others for CI's should think of how lucky they are to have been in the presense of the deaf community.

Quote,
Cochlear Implant but because there are less babies being born deaf these days compared to in 1950s to 1970s. Over the centuries, many cultures have changed or vanished so this is no exception.
-This is not true from personal knowledge. Because of emergence of deaf culture in the last century due to sign language, hearing aids, internet and etc. There is much more communication between deaf and more deaf people having childeren. The bottom lines is that deafness lies within the genes and with the technology society has given us, we have the opportunity pass on our genes more then ever before...Deaf Culture is growing and will continue to get bigger for at least a while.

deafdyke said:
I'm curious, did you lose your hearing? You say you vaguely remember being able to hear.....maybe that's why you don't feel deaf (nereologically speaking)
I have NEVER EVER been able to hear like a hearing person, as my being hard of hearing is the result of a genetic syndrome. I have been hoh since conception! I can understand why you feel that way. I can totally understand. One of my friends was raised as male when s/he ID'd as female. However, some of us don't feel that way b/c we've never experianced it, even for a very short time. It does amaze me that some profoundly and severely deaf folks do not ID as Deaf, whereas many audilogically hoh people (including people with unilateral loss) and people who use Sign as a primary language due to conditions like apraxia or tracheostomies ID STRONGLY as Deaf. I've even met some late-deafened people who ID strongly as Deaf!
Well yes, being deaf isn't easy and has it's difficulties but you could say that about being GLB (gay lesbian or bi) or being black or Spanish or whatever. It's funny how people view these things. I was lurking at a board for wheelchair users (both quadepelgics and parapelgics) and there was a thread about how their disabilty had affected their lives. Most of society views ANYONE in a wheelchair as disabled. However, the quads were saying that if they could function as a parapelgic, they wouldn't consider themselves disabled!

Hi, I didn't know this question was here. Yes, I lost my hearing as a child. I do remember being hearing, but just not really hearing. I do remember talking to my grandmother on the phone very vividly. I remember what she said and my feelings of curiosity, imagining my grandma answering the phone lol. Sometimes when my mother talks about me being hearing, they sound familiar. She talked about during a time my cousin and aunt visited. I have pictures and remember that time, but I can't actually remember speech. How weird. Yes, it might shock you to tell you that there are times when I wish I had jobs answering the phone like Customer Service, etc. I don't know, I would rather have jobs hearing-oriented than stocking overnight, you know? Well, that's how I feel very strongly :). When I look at job ads, etc. my heart leaps when I see something that requires hearing or dealing with people. Strange, huh? It would be unfair for me to claim that being deaf is awesome iike the Deaf Community because really I don't feel that way. It would be lying and covering my feelings. Some people may view you pitiful because you don't like your disability, but heck we can only understand how we feel in our life.

Last edited:
Back