Is the CI really a "threat" to deaf culture ?

What if all the deaf people in existence were to get CI's? This wouldn't change their status, because as it stands, once the CI is removed for sleeping or showering purposes, the person is still deaf.
There's also the fact that CIs have a very very wide range of functionality. Not everyone acheives hoh listening levels with it.
It would be unfair for me to claim that being deaf is awesome iike the Deaf Community because really I don't feel that way.
I can totally understand why you feel the way you do. I think nereologically you're definitly Hearing. However maybe if you had been BORN or early deafened, you would be nereologically Deaf. You experianced what it's like to be able to hear. I definitly think that your experiance clearly shows the huge gap between the experiance of a perilingal/almost postlingal and a prelingally deaf or hoh kid. I don't think that being dhh is awesome. It is simply a part of who I am, like my long fingers or my obssession with the Indigo Girls. Yes, I am proud to be deaf....but it's like the way that my friend Nancia has Greek Pride or my friend OB has Irish pride.

Yeah, I didn't adjust too well. I had a picture showing me sad or trying to face people to see if they spoke to me. Some kids turn deaf but not have a psychological reaction to sudden deafness. I don't think my audiologists or CI team know my history as a child. They assume it's like every other child. Have you noticed that most attention are given to children implanted, but not adults? What I mean is that most workshops are for children, about children and SOMETIMES teenagers. I guess that is because results vary in adults implanted and teenagers too. They seem to be more interested in children or are more likely to hear speech without lipreading. Sad because I know some adults and teenagers could use some kind of support to adjust to their CI. I have suggested this to the companies, but I haven't seen a change geared towards adults and teenagers.

This is directed toward people that have recieved CI's and are from 18-30 years old. How did you respond to the implant, was it frustrating or an amazing experience etc....? Please mention if you were completely deaf or hoh, if hoh how much loss do you have. And if the knowledge is known what kind of mutation did you have? Thanks

Aber said:
This is directed toward people that have recieved CI's and are from 18-30 years old. How did you respond to the implant, was it frustrating or an amazing experience etc....? Please mention if you were completely deaf or hoh, if hoh how much loss do you have. And if the knowledge is known what kind of mutation did you have? Thanks

Awww..age discrimination..........7 years too old over your age requirement to answer your questions (hehe)

Actually cancel the age requirement, your well above the legal age anyway;)

Again, TP, I can totally understand. I would definitly say that you're truely *not really Deaf* You are physically deaf, but nereologically I would say that you're Hearing. I've never experianced something like that...I have pretty decent hearing, to the point where I can hear quite a bit even without aids, but I have never ever known what it's like to be able to hear, at least as a hearing person. I hear like a deaf person, not as a hearing one. I don't know what "normal" sound sounds like...I just know what hearing through bone conduction is. Does that make any sense?

I dont see the C.I. a threat to deaf culture, it just adds the 'hearing sense' to deaf culture.

Richard

Back