Is mainstream good for deaf?

U know..it is ironic that many parents pay a lot of money for private schools or home school their kids because of overcrowding. Hey, the Deaf schools dont have overcrowding problems and the teacher-student ratio is so much better than at the mainstreaming programs so for free, why dont parents take advantage of that for their deaf children?

Why put their deaf children in public schools that are bursting out in the seams? LOL!

Maybe the state government order them to go to their local public schools to save on bus transportation, meals and board (State school for the deaf). However the interpreter/CART costs at the public schools are expensive, too. The teacher who don't know about the deaf education could be spread thin as he/she have to have include other disabled students - Blind, CP, etc. I won't be surprised if a teacher feel it is too much.

Deaf students who born to hearing parents think best for kids to learn in public school

I am deaf born to hearing parents and I do not think it is best for all deaf kids to learn in public schools.

I am deaf born to hearing parents and I do not think it is best for all deaf kids to learn in public schools.

Me too, although my grandmother deaf. I think Meggie meant the hearing parents think this. I know mine did.

I think I know what Bottesini talking about! Least I do.. Anybody else?

Me too, although my grandmother deaf. I think Meggie meant the hearing parents think this. I know mine did.

Guess I'm the exception to the rule. Hearing parent, deaf son, have been opposed to the mainstream from the beginning.

Guess I'm the exception to the rule. Hearing parent, deaf son, have been opposed to the mainstream from the beginning.

You are in the modern time. In my childhood, it was like a miracle for my parents that I could stay home and go to school. When we visited the people of my grandparents generation, they mostly only knew each other, and their kids did all communication with the outside world. I don't know, how it would have turned out if I had gone to the state school, but I know my parents meant the best for me.

The thing is.....I'm NOT opposed to mainstreaming per se. I just don't think it should be an automatic placement. I really do think that initially, kids should attend a Deaf School/program and then a hearing school/program so that they can find the best fit for them.
I won't be surprised if a teacher feel it is too much.
OMG YES.....I have friends who are mainstream teachers. Their job can be incredibily difficult....Why make it harder by placeing a very hard to teach kid in their classroom? Granted a dhh kid isn't like one of those sociopathic bully types who disrupt a mainstream classroom by doing things like beating up kids and stealing and things like that. However, a physically special needs kid CAN be really disruptive, esepcially if their needs aren't met. Most mainstream teachers have NO CLUE how to teach kids with classic disabilites.

I would say it rather depends on where you live in general.

There are few great deaf schools in the States while I would say more than half mainstream schools are not that good either due to the overall reasons, not only education itself. Just like what others posted and explained before.

I have few good friends who went mainstream before and those did well in education but had poor social skills. They made it up at Gallaudet afterward. They realized that they certain missed some important stuff that deaf schools could provide like socializing and sports (probably bit more).

If one lives in Indiana, then attend the Indiana deaf school - period. If one live in the northeastern or south region, I would recommend attending to a good mainstream school there only if avail.

So it's location, location, location after all. (pretty much so!)

You are in the modern time. In my childhood, it was like a miracle for my parents that I could stay home and go to school. When we visited the people of my grandparents generation, they mostly only knew each other, and their kids did all communication with the outside world. I don't know, how it would have turned out if I had gone to the state school, but I know my parents meant the best for me.

So did my parents and foster parents. It did help me, lol. Now, i am in public college. I did for one year in deaf school. It didn't work out for me.

Hi, everyone...
I am new in this group.
I am hearing.
I joined this group, because I am studying sign language,maybe you can help.

Back