Is mainstream good for deaf?

CrzyMeg

Reaction score
I am interest in your comment. I am attending public school and soon will graduate in couple weeks. I am Hard-hearing, if you are interest. What i have seen that there is only few deaf attend public school.

Are you deaf? Does your school have a mainstream program?

The title of this thread and your comment seem to be two different things. So, it's making me wonder if you're asking us for our opinion so that a discussion can be brought up or you're writing a paper and wanted our opinion on it?

No, I just interest that not many deaf students attend public school. Yes I am hard-hearing. Only 11 attending at my school including myself.

No, I just interest that not many deaf students attend public school. Yes I am hard-hearing. Only 11 attending at my school including myself.
What's your definition of "public school"?

I attended mainstream school when I was growing up.

I started out at a private institute... Central Institute for the Deaf. It was an oral-only school. So, I didn't know sign language until later.

When I moved to another state, I was placed in a public elementary school that had a deaf and mainstream program. That was when I began learning sign language. My first mainstream class was when I was in the 3rd grade... for math. (I did participate in a couple class activities such as sing-alongs when I was in the 1st and 2nd grade.) As the years went by, I joined the mainstream class for science. By the 8th grad in junior high school, I was fully mainstreamed. :)

I was in mainstreamed for my life. K-12. I have shared with deaf friends and hearing friends in some period between the classes. I am ALLLLLLL DEAF since born. :)

Profoundly deaf since birth, mainstreamed with all hearing from k to 12th grade. Knew no sign language....it wasnt good for me at all due to so many reasons.

Well I think mainstream as in self contained classroom and magnet program (ie where a hearing school acts as a "base" for a large population of dhh students) can work out well. However, I am against mainstreaming with minimal accomondations, unless the student has shown that they have the academic abilty to function in a regular school regular classes, with minimal accomondations.

Ok, I am surprise. Everyone says it public school with deaf program. Only public school with deaf program in entire Escambia County

Well I think mainstream as in self contained classroom and magnet program (ie where a hearing school acts as a "base" for a large population of dhh students) can work out well. However, I am against mainstreaming with minimal accomondations, unless the student has shown that they have the academic abilty to function in a regular school regular classes, with minimal accomondations.

I had the academic ability to function in a regular school with regular classes with NO accodomations but even with that, it was a burden on me.

I use to have academic ability to function with regular classes without any accodomations until 3rd grade. I got held back.

Is it depend on deaf person ability to function. Sorry. I been entirely growing up in hearing world. I am still learning about deaf culture.

Is it good for deaf/hh students to be in a public school? It depends on the student (hearing loss, communication needs, social needs, academic needs, etc.), his/her family situation, and the school itself. I've seen a wide spectrum of where a public school is awesome at meeting the needs of a student...to where the public school should be closed down for the way it handled the needs (if handled at all) of the students.

I hope your experience in school was a good and positive one.

Are you growing up at Deaf School or Mainstream?

mainstream, regular classes regular school with minimal accomondations (and that's even with some other issues) Trust me Pinky.......mainstream special ed is not great. Like if you don't suceed with minimal accomondations like preferential seating and Resource Room, you're usually lumped in with the "Ummmm who's President So-and-So" dumbasses who tend to be legion in special ed programs. Besides, think of it this way. Why is it that people complain about how crappy public schools are.....but suddenly they are the PERFECT place for disabled kids?
Personally, I think that ALL dhh (and classicly disabled) kids should start off at a school especially for their disabilty and THEN gradually transistion to mainstreaming. I really think that it should be easier to do a split placement. Like a couple of days at the Deaf School/program, and then a couple of days at a mainstream program.
Also, whether or not a mainstream placement works out well or not, is very often due to socioeconomic factors. Like a mainstream placement in East St. Louis or Camden NJ or any other crappy city would prolly not work out well.

Mainstreaming was stressful and lonely for me as I had no accommodations whatsoever in the 60s. But it may be different nowadays depending on sufficient accommodations but IMO, I would stay with the Deaf school or unit among our own peers.

Back