Is it worth to be "oral"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approximately 13% of the U.S. population are those 65 and older according to the 2010 US Census. That would approximately translate to 4.6 million of them with hearing loss out of the 36 million people with hearing loss in the United States. You still have a size-able population of 31 million with hearing loss under the age of 65. :wave:

nice try. what are the age breakdowns of those 31 million? I'm guessing the majority is still old farts :lol:

Why is it "emulating"? Have you considered the fact that most deaf kids come from hearing parents? What's wrong with children knowing their parents language(s) if there is a way to access it via cochlear implant/hearing aids. Sometimes that doesn't work and of course the main language should be sign language.

Would I be better off being restricted in my town to only communicating with my deaf friends and my 2 deaf siblings and my parents? Not being able to have in depth convos with my 5 hearing siblings who are mostly much older than me and past learning new languages? My many cousins, uncles and aunties and grandparents? My friends at school and now uni?

And I would have never gone to a school for the deaf either, my parents flat out refused to send us 4 hours up country to a shit school with shit teachers/staff.

Some of you guys never seem to consider us as having our own identities, our own thoughts about how we see ourselves and identities. You never think about the fact that we've used our CIs/HAs since birth (in my case, 3 years old ETA HAs from 3 yo, CI from 10) and it's become part of us. You don't think about how our hearing has impacted us - my deaf sister plays the piano the best in my family, and she used to play for hours during the afternoons and because of that I have an appreciation for piano music, my particular favourite piece being Ballade Pour Adeline. I would not be me if I hadn't gotten my CI at ten.
You just do this fake lament about how no one wants to 'emulate' "deafies" and it's just insincere and unappreciative of the fact that we're all different and live our lives in different ways. :hmm:

oh you.... same ole' story I hear all the time.

come to America and it will be just mind blown for you.

That's a nice non answer. Honestly I can't take you seriously. After being in this site for over a year the only thing you ever post about is deaf schools/education and speech therapy. Ever. You never have anything to say about anything else. That's an obsession, and it's not healthy, and it isn't objective. That loss of objectivity makes your words almost meaningless to me. I actually can totally understand tomm stopping the lurking just to address your posts.

some people chose to sit back and criticize.... and some people chose to fight for betterment...

I really haven't found anything super benifical about being oral only regarding employment....hearing people can and do pick up that something is off with your voice or response times....Guess what? They usually assume that a deaf voice or slow response times means that you're not exactly bright.

They usually assume? So you feel most hearing people naturally assume that a deaf voice or slow response means someone isn't bright? That's funny, because there are SO many more hearing people in the world and assuming that they usually assume something is assuming an a$$ ton of people just assume. Assumptions are what get you into trouble. All of my co-workers are hearing, and never once out of the 500+ of them has any one of them assumed I wasn't bright because I may ask them to repeat or whatever. Does it happen with some people out there? Sure it does, but I sincerely doubt that MOST hearies assume we're not bright because of a hearing impairment. Deaf culture has come a long way from assuming "deaf and dumb" go together and a lot of people do understand your hearing doesn't hinder your education. Yes, there are still under-educated close minded presumptuous jerks out there, and there always will be.... but as I said, I sincerely doubt it's most people.

Amb, definitely a good point. I haven't even been on this site that long and all I ever see you post about is this stuff. Like, it's all you're about... 24/7... 365. Yes, I was born deaf and I live with it every day, but it's not the only thing I talk about. Obsessive is the best term I think Amb or anyone could have possibly come up with. It wouldn't be so bad if you could back even most of your claims with facts or links.... but you usually 90% of the time don't.

They usually assume? So you feel most hearing people naturally assume that a deaf voice or slow response means someone isn't bright? That's funny, because there are SO many more hearing people in the world and assuming that they usually assume something is assuming an a$$ ton of people just assume. Assumptions are what get you into trouble. All of my co-workers are hearing, and never once out of the 500+ of them has any one of them assumed I wasn't bright because I may ask them to repeat or whatever. Does it happen with some people out there? Sure it does, but I sincerely doubt that MOST hearies assume we're not bright because of a hearing impairment. Deaf culture has come a long way from assuming "deaf and dumb" go together and a lot of people do understand your hearing doesn't hinder your education. Yes, there are still under-educated close minded presumptuous jerks out there, and there always will be.... but as I said, I sincerely doubt it's most people.

Amb, definitely a good point. I haven't even been on this site that long and all I ever see you post about is this stuff. Like, it's all you're about... 24/7... 365. Yes, I was born deaf and I live with it every day, but it's not the only thing I talk about. Obsessive is the best term I think Amb or anyone could have possibly come up with. It wouldn't be so bad if you could back even most of your claims with facts or links.... but you usually 90% of the time don't.

Well you said "coworkers". Obviously if you're working there, you are certainly not somebody "slow". And they are probably aware of deafness. If not, then they're just being polite because of workforce policy.

But in general public, they would assume so.

You may find it annoying to hear it over and over, but anybody who actually grew up deaf has had the experience of not being considered bright over and over.

My father always wanted to be sure my hair was back and hearing aids showed, I think just because it upset him so much that people wouldn't understand I am deaf not stupid.

You may find it annoying to hear it over and over, but anybody who actually grew up deaf has had the experience of not being considered bright over and over.

My father always wanted to be sure my hair was back and hearing aids showed, I think just because it upset him so much that people wouldn't understand I am deaf not stupid.

I run into that all the time, amd I wasn't born deaf. But you know what, they don't assume I'm dumb because I'm deaf. This happens with strangers that don't know I'm deaf, they think I'm dumb because I didn't answer or ask what etc etc etc. They don't run into deaf people often, their first thought isn't, oh she's deaf, but they run into stupid people ALL the time though, their first thought is....oh another stupid person.

Mewt's been deaf since birth though

I was born deaf. I did not have hearing aids as a child. I grew up completely deaf. The first little bit of sound I remember was when I first activated my C.I. a few years ago. I "had hearing" before the age of 3 they said, but it was gone and I was profoundly deaf after that. Not sure how accurate they were with saying I had that hearing that young, just what my parents relayed.

People assuming you're dumb because of you not responding is ignorance. My point was only that people that KNOW you're deaf out there, usually don't go thinking you're dumb or not bright. Sure, if they don't know they just assume or something it happens. However most people that know you're deaf or when I explain are usually very understanding most of the time. Enough where I can say I don't believe the majority of people believe because you're deaf you're dumb. A lot do understand it's just an inability to hear.... that's all. :)

I run into that all the time, amd I wasn't born deaf. But you know what, they don't assume I'm dumb because I'm deaf. This happens with strangers that don't know I'm deaf, they think I'm dumb because I didn't answer or ask what etc etc etc. They don't run into deaf people often, their first thought isn't, oh she's deaf, but they run into stupid people ALL the time though, their first thought is....oh another stupid person.

Mewt's been deaf since birth though

Exactly. Stupid people are EVERYWHERE!!! I just don't believe when I tell someone I'm deaf they automatically think I'm stupid. I think most of them think I'm deaf. :P

I worked for Farmers Insurance in the early 90s and even in adulthood, I was isolated by my peers because people didn't want to go out of their way to have lengthy conversations with me. I would sit with my coworkers at lunch and try to engage in conversations but they would give me short and curt replies not giving me a chance to become engaged in conversations with them. Just like in middle and high school, I slowly withdrew to myself and ate alone. I was really upset that it was still happening even as an adult.

Even worse, during meetings, I came up with ideas and the administrators would give me that goofy smile and say stuff like "Oh that's good good good good" nodding their heads up and down in an exaggerated way. Made me feel like I was a child or someone not to be taken seriously.

My speech was so good that everyone could understand me clearly but yet I was treated like someone who didn't have a mind of her own.

If I had ASL and the Deaf community at the time, I would have had much more confidence in myself and squashed that bullshit behavior right there but I grew up in the hearing world and I was never given the opportunity to feel that my voice matters so I thought they knew best. I started believing that I was not as smart as they were. That was what oralism did to me. Apparently it did the same to many other deaf/hoh people.

I understand it happens, but do you TRULY believe that MOST people treat everyone that way? I am sorry you had to go through that, and it's terrible... I understand I was out-casted in school with almost no friends but it wasn't because they thought I was dumb. It was because I was just anti-social and a little bit of an odd ball. I personally find it hard to believe most hearing people treat the deaf that way. I can believe some.... but not most. I just can't. I've had a ton of positive encounters with hearing people later on in life. Kids are cruel, that's how they are. Having a TON of deaf friends now, I can say that most of them have mostly positive stories from their hearing people encounters. Yes again, there are sometimes not, but mostly good interactions. I just refuse to believe the hearing population as a majority treats the deaf like they're retarded these days. Again, I am not disputing some do, I just refuse to believe the majority. Look at all these ASL majors these days! A lot of them are hearing! A lot of schools offer ASL ( around me anyway ) in high school as a foreign language. Hearing community has come a long was from the "deaf and dumb" affiliation and again I refuse to admit the hearing population as a majority ( that's an a$$ ton of people mind you ) are like that.... just can't. There are cruel people in this world we see day in and day out, but MOST people are not like that. We just have some really sick messed up twisted people sometimes.

I understand it happens, but do you TRULY believe that MOST people treat everyone that way? I am sorry you had to go through that, and it's terrible... I understand I was out-casted in school with almost no friends but it wasn't because they thought I was dumb. It was because I was just anti-social and a little bit of an odd ball. I personally find it hard to believe most hearing people treat the deaf that way. I can believe some.... but not most. I just can't. I've had a ton of positive encounters with hearing people later on in life. Kids are cruel, that's how they are. Having a TON of deaf friends now, I can say that most of them have mostly positive stories from their hearing people encounters. Yes again, there are sometimes not, but mostly good interactions. I just refuse to believe the hearing population as a majority treats the deaf like they're retarded these days. Again, I am not disputing some do, I just refuse to believe the majority. Look at all these ASL majors these days! A lot of them are hearing! A lot of schools offer ASL ( around me anyway ) in high school as a foreign language. Hearing community has come a long was from the "deaf and dumb" affiliation and again I refuse to admit the hearing population as a majority ( that's an a$$ ton of people mind you ) are like that.... just can't. There are cruel people in this world we see day in and day out, but MOST people are not like that. We just have some really sick messed up twisted people sometimes.

It is not that they do it on purposely...it is that they don't want to do the work to ensure that there are no barriers when communicating with me. They don't want to meet me halfway. They expect me to function like a hearing person because of my good speech and when I was unable to do, their willingness to interact with me goes away. It is like it is too much work for them. When I ask them to repeat what they said, they either roll their eyes or say "Never mind" or "I will tell you later".

I refuse to go back to that kind of life again. After years and years of trying my hardest and being positive about it, I am done.

But this is about people just assuming you're stupid because you're deaf, not people that get frustrated with you because you're deaf. People will always get frustrated with it, and it sucks. My point was saying most people do not assume you're retarded because you can't hear. The point you're making is that people get frustrated, not that they treat you like you're stupid. Completely different point.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the more attention a person pays to his/her hearing ability and/or speech skills, the less introspective the person is. Know what I mean?

But this is about people just assuming you're stupid because you're deaf, not people that get frustrated with you because you're deaf. People will always get frustrated with it, and it sucks. My point was saying most people do not assume you're retarded because you can't hear. The point you're making is that people get frustrated, not that they treat you like you're stupid. Completely different point.

I agree. Yet I think ignorance plays a role in causing that frustration and even more ignorance by those who think deaf means dumb. Those who think deaf means dumb are not worth having a dialague with. If you are comfortable for who you are and are comfortable with your preferred communication then what is the problem? There shouldnt be a problem. But sometimes people do get hung up on for who you are and your preferred communication only because they dont understand, are simply ignorant or are projecting themselves.

Well, I was made like I was not as intelligent as they were. I wonder why?

I agree. Yet I think ignorance plays a role in causing that frustration and even more ignorance by those who think deaf means dumb. Those who think deaf means dumb are not worth having a dialague with. If you are comfortable for who you are and are comfortable with your preferred communication then what is the problem? There shouldnt be a problem. But sometimes people do get hung up on for who you are and your preferred communication only because they dont understand, are simply ignorant or are projecting themselves.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back