Is it worth to be "oral"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be better support of you if I wasn't BORN Deaf. I was BORN Deaf... She did not know that prior to the post I suppose, but again born Deaf. I am not late deafened.

P.S. Experience*

If I recall right that you do have deaf relatives or something?? Before I make assumes righ there.

Quite true, I have no idea you are a born deaf person with that perspective on life.

And I don't support any viewpoint. I make an observation of what it is like to go through life and interactions, and the common things that happen in that situation.

I know many people who have the same experience and attitude as myself.
you are brilliant skills :P . I agree! interesting sound look likes exactly almost owl :aw:
it is my theory interesting!

Have you heard of this expression, the 'perfect storm'? I think you are very lucky sir. You were born with mild loss in one ear and perhaps moderate loss in the other ear?

No. Where or how did you come up with that assumption about my hearing loss?

It was based on me reaching an assumption that you have easily attained near normal or normal speech based on your earlier posts. You had alluded to the fact that all you needed to learn was the r letter. Arrr matey!

Can I just note that some dhh kids don't even have a reason to go to speech therapy? I was born with moderately severe to profound loss in both ears and developed my speech just like my hearing siblings. This was the main reason my hearing loss wasn't diagnosed until I was five years old. To this day, I have never attended a speech therapy session. Therefore, the clarity of one's speech is not always dependent on the level of hearing loss they have; everyone is different.

Can I just note that some dhh kids don't even have a reason to go to speech therapy? I was born with moderately severe to profound loss in both ears and developed my speech just like my hearing siblings. This was the main reason my hearing loss wasn't diagnosed until I was five years old. To this day, I have never attended a speech therapy session. Therefore, the clarity of one's speech is not always dependent on the level of hearing loss they have; everyone is different.

Correct. A hearing aid or cochlear implant is used to help facilitate the necessary feedback enabling one to hear his/her own voice.

Correct. A hearing aid or cochlear implant is used to help facilitate the necessary feedback enabling one to hear his/her own voice.

I developed my speech without any corrective devices.

I on the other hand really am dumb. It amazes me when people treat me like I am smart, I say to myself whoa they just do not know me yet. Still as dumb as I am for some reason it really bothers me when someone goes into the whole act for the slow to comprehend. There are a lot of good people out there in the world and I am grateful to have met so many of them. I am especially grateful for the ones who helped me cheat at math all the way through school. If I had not had a great memory I would have never made it. The pretty blue eyes that sparkle helped a lot.

Again perfect storm.........And virtually ALL kids like that tend to be more audilogically HOH. Even audilogically HOH kids may actually NEED a placement at an oral deaf school/program due to significent spoken language issues....
It's pretty rare that even a HOH kid would NEVER ever need speech therapy....and indeed its usually offered in the accomondations offered at public schools for HOH and oral deaf kids.

Again perfect storm.........And virtually ALL kids like that tend to be more audilogically HOH. Even audilogically HOH kids may actually NEED a placement at an oral deaf school/program due to significent spoken language issues....
It's pretty rare that even a HOH kid would NEVER ever need speech therapy....and indeed its usually offered in the accomondations offered at public schools for HOH and oral deaf kids.

Well I'm a senior in high school and have never had speech therapy, nor do I need it. I'm not disagreeing that other HoH kids might need speech therapy, though.

I had to go to Speech therapy throughout my whole entire school life (Elementary/High school) and I"m HoH

Well I'm a senior in high school and have never had speech therapy, nor do I need it. I'm not disagreeing that other HoH kids might need speech therapy, though.

As I said,it's very rare for HOH kids not to need speech therapy.....it does happen....but my point is that even HOH kids still may need speech for issues ranging from "deaf" style spoken language delays to mechanical (pitch,volumne,enucication) Also,it's VERY rare for kids who are in speech therapy to fully master speech so it's "hearing person good"....Usually parents agree that "oh,it's as far as they can go....they don't need perfect speech"

*groan*, yeah, just "perfect."

As I said,it's very rare for HOH kids not to need speech therapy.....it does happen....but my point is that even HOH kids still may need speech for issues ranging from "deaf" style spoken language delays to mechanical (pitch,volumne,enucication) Also,it's VERY rare for kids who are in speech therapy to fully master speech so it's "hearing person good"....Usually parents agree that "oh,it's as far as they can go....they don't need perfect speech"

No such thing as "perfect speech." And now, "hearing person good"?? Why are you so hung up on the so-called the "perfection of speech" when speech intelligibility is the heart of the matter?

If I recall right that you do have deaf relatives or something?? Before I make assumes righ there.

I have a few Deaf relatives, yes. Nothing direct to me ( mother, father, brother or sister ) I have Uncles ect. "distant family" per se.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what "perfect speech" is, and as far as I'm concerned, "perfect" doesn't exist when it comes to people as people are all different, and can not have the same standards. "Perfect speech" can not exist because you do not have controlled subjects as all individuals are different. Hearing people stammer and stutter all the time, does that make their speech perfect? Everyone has flaws in their speech, hearing or not. Again, I was born deaf, and rarely can someone point out that I am Deaf unless they spot the C.I. if I happen to be wearing it.

Quite true, I have no idea you are a born deaf person with that perspective on life.

And I don't support any viewpoint. I make an observation of what it is like to go through life and interactions, and the common things that happen in that situation.

I know many people who have the same experience and attitude as myself.

No worries, I am known for my weird opinions and stances on things as is. I just happen to know a lot of hearing people and most ( not all ) of my family is hearing.

I am right there with you. I make observations based on my own interactions and form my opinions and stances off of those interactions.

I always leave myself open for a potential new POV from someone else, and rarely close my mind off to only one opinion. I believe to be wise and knowledgeable, you are ever-changing. Always learning and accepting to hear others POV's and not necessarily altering yours to theirs, but taking their information and agreeing to disagree or whatever. :) I have my own opinions, but never do I ever assume I am right and another is wrong as they are merely opinions and not fact. :) I'm just one of the few who can decipher the differences between them. :)

I know many people who have had the same less than desirable experiences as yourself too. I suppose I have had more pleasant encounters than yourself or them. I have definitely had some rather unpleasant encounters as well... I suppose I am more of an optimistic realist :laugh2: and sway on the optimistic side of things. I know there's a lot of messed up people out there who treat the Deaf like they're stupid, I know this. However, I just refuse to believe it's most of the population. There are 7 Billion people on this earth... that's a lot to all have the same view point and treat the Deaf that way, that's all I'm stating. :)

No such thing as "perfect speech." And now, "hearing person good"?? Why are you so hung up on the so-called the "perfection of speech" when speech intelligibility is the heart of the matter?

"perfect" enough for hearing people to understand. don't be so literal.

Think outside of the box.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back