is it really all that weird?

psst. you forgot to mention the club dues, initiation and hell week

Shoot! How could I have forgotten? :lol:

If you live where you don't know deaf people and it is media images that attracted you, I think when you know us , you may be disappointed.

We are all just normal people with one difference. We all lead to same boring lives that you do.

Go to work, cook dinner, take care of our kids, love our pets.[/QUOTE]

You just summed up my life!!!! How did you know? :lol:

Miles, we are just silly people and like to find humor in our boring lives. :D

If you live where you don't know deaf people and it is media images that attracted you, I think when you know us , you may be disappointed.

We are all just normal people with one difference. We all lead to same boring lives that you do.

Go to work, cook dinner, take care of our kids, love our pets.[/QUOTE]

You just summed up my life!!!! How did you know? :lol:

Miles, we are just silly people and like to find humor in our boring lives. :D

And there should be a rule to have initiation , hazing, etc. ;)

And it's my life too Shel, except the kids left home and have their own kids. :)

This kid... Miles11we.

Is only 16 years old.

He is eager to learn.

:).

Miles. No insult to you.

You have to know how to present yourself.

being the age you are at. Many things may intrigue you. You even mention a smoking habit you have. Perhaps not in this thread or whatnot. But you are only 16. Regardless.

But I do think it is awesome you are interested in the deaf culture.

Just concerned about how you do this so open and freely on this site.

Do stay safe and wish you the best

i dont think its any more unusual than someone liking athletic or rock star or artist types... but if it is the media's portrayl of the deaf like others have already said...dont get your hopes up if the real world is different than tv!

i_see_what_you_did_there_poster-p228060760404242422t5wm_400.jpg

i really am liking this forum, regardless of it being for deaf people, i mean its very general where just about everything is talked about, and there isnt way to many people on here to try to have someone that will respond, yet big enough that i get to talk to a good amount of people. :)

being the age you are at. Many things may intrigue you. You even mention a smoking habit you have. Perhaps not in this thread or whatnot. But you are only 16. Regardless.
have you been checking up on me?? ha yes i do have some bad habits

welcome to AD miles11we.. don't worry we usually post weird stuff and it happens here and there.. ;) but hell.. nobody is born to be perfect and I admit I'm weird and kinda crazy in a good way I guess so have fun surfing thru alldeaf.com :cool2:

Miles - I think there is a LOT to be learned about deaf culture here, and I hope you take advantage of it!

As for myself, I STARTED being interested in this because my daughter is gradually becoming deaf. I CONTINUE to be interested because the more I learn, the more I appreciate what the deaf have to offer, culturally.

In deaf culture, emotions are expressed, not veiled the way they are in the hearing world. The deaf live in an emotionally connected and responsive way that I find very attractive. They express themselves from the heart! And they can be VERY BLUNT about certain things - which is great - if you can handle it! :D I find them to be far more open about certain subjects (like sex!) than their hearing counterparts. If you are willing to be emotionally transparent, you might find yourself accepted into the deaf community.

BE RESPECTFUL! As someone said above, they are not children or pets, they are human beings! They feel, think, and express themselves, as any other person does. They are articulate (through sign language or whatever method of communication they choose,) intelligent, accomplished, self-actualized individuals who are WORTHY of our respect. GIVE THAT TO THEM! Give them your eyes when speaking to them. Give them your attention when they communicate with you. Be open-hearted, generous, and kind. And they will let you in!

And, PLEASE learn ASL! That is their language. It goes hand-in-hand (haha!) with their culture! If you choose to be a part of their world, and want to live in their world, use their language. It's only decent and respectful of you to do so.

:ty: I hope this helps you. :ty:

Miles - I think there is a LOT to be learned about deaf culture here, and I hope you take advantage of it!

As for myself, I STARTED being interested in this because my daughter is gradually becoming deaf. I CONTINUE to be interested because the more I learn, the more I appreciate what the deaf have to offer, culturally.

In deaf culture, emotions are expressed, not veiled the way they are in the hearing world. The deaf live in an emotionally connected and responsive way that I find very attractive. They express themselves from the heart! And they can be VERY BLUNT about certain things - which is great - if you can handle it! :D I find them to be far more open about certain subjects (like sex!) than their hearing counterparts. If you are willing to be emotionally transparent, you might find yourself accepted into the deaf community.

BE RESPECTFUL! As someone said above, they are not children or pets, they are human beings! They feel, think, and express themselves, as any other person does. They are articulate (through sign language or whatever method of communication they choose,) intelligent, accomplished, self-actualized individuals who are WORTHY of our respect. GIVE THAT TO THEM! Give them your eyes when speaking to them. Give them your attention when they communicate with you. Be open-hearted, generous, and kind. And they will let you in!

And, PLEASE learn ASL! That is their language. It goes hand-in-hand (haha!) with their culture! If you choose to be a part of their world, and want to live in their world, use their language. It's only decent and respectful of you to do so.

:ty: I hope this helps you. :ty:

:gpost: :gpost:

I seconded on that! Right on! :cool2: :D

i no everyone is just saying this just to make sure its drilled in my head and wont forget it or end up being rude or bias in any way, but its hard to not take any offence wen everyone says dont treat them like pets, i no this, its not as though i think of this community as animals or anything haha but i understand completely, personally if i was part of a community of (no offence in any way) some sort of minority (and im also not saying that im not part of one just not in such a close knit style of community) i would be very wary of anyone trying to penetrate into it. and MoniDew i do plan on learning asl, that was one of the main reasons i came to this sight to find out the best plan of attack when it comes to a completely new person to this community to learn asl. from what ive read on this forum and the people ive talked to it seems like there is quite a lot of good quality conversation....(i find it hard to find someone in person that can carry a conversation with me, without having to explain every minute detail of what i just said)

ok, i hear, but i find deaf people (men and women) extremely attractive for only the reason of being deaf..i was wondering if anyone has ran into or heard of people like me??

I've never really found deaf "people" attractive because "they are deaf."

But my last boyfriend was deaf, and EVERY facial expression he made...some very typical of deaf people, turned me on like crazy. Even his voice, which sounded very different from most hearing people...was so sexy to me.

Back