is it polite?

Here is my take: don't treat anyone like a child.

If they need sign let them ask for sign, basically let them ask for clarification.
Having said that, don't just shut off the sign in the middle of a conversation either.

I think you did the right thing. It was very nice of you.

Here is my take: don't treat anyone like a child.

If they need sign let them ask for sign, basically let them ask for clarification.
Having said that, don't just shut off the sign in the middle of a conversation either.

I think you did the right thing. It was very nice of you.

Well said!...and as I've said before here...I had to get rude and nasty to school personnel that did not call for an intrepretor when I had asked for one beforehand....they looked at my son and said..."well, you can intrepret"...and I said, "no way...and don't treat me like a child!...I'm the adult and my son is not an intrepretor."..

So many people confuse deafness with being "not so smart"...:roll:

To me this question gets right to the heart of much of what goes on in getting around with varying degrees of hearing loss.
I would like to just be like everyone else moving right along. By nature I am shy and dislike any undo attention. The attention that comes with my situation is often outside of my comfort zone. It is often a learning experience for others as well as myself when that moving right along is not happening.
Other people do help in so many many ways. It is a pleasure when it is done smoothly as if it is just part of it all, no big deal. I do not like the times when it all comes to a halt and I am the cause. I appreciate this forum/the people in this forum and the opportunity to learn and have a little quiet fun in the process.

Last edited:
If successful this could be a means of helping deaf awareness. More people would come to understand about options with communicating with deaf. The general public never comes in contact with an interperter in a situation where translating to asl is a bridge for both the deaf and hearing.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about offering interpreting to someone who is deaf and is having a tough time.

I was working, and a deaf couple was trying to buy some things, and I could tell the employee and the deaf couple were both getting frustrated. I walked up and explained that I knew ASL and I could help them if they wanted me to. They seemed to be okay with it, but after awhile it seemed as though they were getting annoyed. Is there an imaginary line that one shouldn't cross?

What does everyone think?
I don't think there's any problem with asking if they would like you to mediate. Just make sure you're actually capable of doing it competently. It may be that they got annoyed because you simply weren't a very good interpreter. Alternatively, your interpretation may have been effective, and they were actually annoyed with the salesman. You need good self-awareness to be able to tell which was the case.

Basically, have a realistic idea of what you are capable of and don't get yourself in over your head.

Im kinda different when it comes to just having someone off the street come up to me and offer their interpreting help. First...although they may be genunie in their kindness and senserity, i dont know them. I dont know them. I dont know their skill level. I can express myself through my hands signs extremly fast not meaning to because my head thinks fast when i communicate. Will this person be able to keep up with me? Where will our conversation that i need interpreting lead to? Will it just take 2 mins of her/his time or 20 mins of their time? Is this person who is going to interpret for me for the first time miss anything important? Will they relay everything accurate? Oh gosh...forget it...hand me a piece of paper and pen. I will thank the person kindly and take care of my own needs responsibly like my Deaf before me.

Hmm, what if a deaf person went to store to buy parts to boost power for their turbocharged engine? I'm sure they would love to have an interpreter. Ya know someone else that understands turbo engine and also know ASL.

Seriously, I would probably not mind someone helping. I have had my neighbor offer to help and I'm always appreciative of it.

Back