is it polite?

SilentSigns

Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone thinks about offering interpreting to someone who is deaf and is having a tough time.

I was working, and a deaf couple was trying to buy some things, and I could tell the employee and the deaf couple were both getting frustrated. I walked up and explained that I knew ASL and I could help them if they wanted me to. They seemed to be okay with it, but after awhile it seemed as though they were getting annoyed. Is there an imaginary line that one shouldn't cross?

What does everyone think?

I go to the store and do things without counting on a volunteer interpreter to show up.

I think most people would rather conduct their own business in a store or restaurant, or anyplace where it isn't a norm to need an interpreter.

nah, its its really that bad, like if they are getting frustrated, do offer help say, a favouer free', 'as im not working' but help out to clear communication so they can buy or seller can explain something...
i dont see a problem, i would think the deaf couple would be relieved!...esp if the communication barrier is very real and getting heated...dammit its common sense,! stop the bullshit about 'deaf pride' and saying i can do it myself, there's a line drawn in whats realistic dammit...
thats my view
BUT the probelm is (and wont happen) as if as long as you explain to the couple, its a one-off' free, as im walking past and i hope im not offending you, damn why not say' i hope i not offending you, but do you want a help for interpreter, free' no chagre today im only walkig past, i wont to that again..would you be happy? or want me to leave you two alone?/
im sure they'd think and say yes or no, which ever way if they say yes, then help out, if they say no, just say oh ok i understand you want to do this on your own, thats fine i respect your privancy..ok have nice day...and walk off calmy, (and hoping they'd manage which they may or may not but they decided against your help and its all yo can do)
thats my take on it

thing is though, in the real world, it IS that frustrating for my many, including me, i hate it being restricted to formal shit like job interivews, court, school, public (deaf communoty meetings)..and that's it, to me, THAT IS UNREALISTIC!!!

I think it would be great. I am stone deaf and my lipreading is terrible. I would be very thankful. There are more than enough instanceds where I get by with some lipreading, writing and guess work that having someone act as an interperter is a godsend. So feel free to ask if people want you to do free work, it is not a pity party thing.

alright. i will keep that in mind. I was just trying to be helpful.

They were probably more upset with the store rather than you. I wouldn't personalize it. Sounds like you did a nice thing.

Laura

Just be careful to limit yourself to the least necessary interpreting in the situation. That is, don't interject your opinion, get too "helpful," or try to become buddies after. Keep it brief and stay on point. If the deaf person wants to initiate more conversation after the interpreted conversation, then that's fine but it has to be up to them. You don't want to cross the line into seeming "controlling" or patronizing.

While I have had many difficult situations they usually manage to work out somehow without people joining in to help. You are asking a good question really.
I continue to learn better ways to communicate through a wide variety of situations. As a severely hoh guy out and about travelling and working my experience is my own- I cannot speak for others. I go completely deaf when I fly so that gives me a real deaf perspective as I fly fairly often. It is up to me to learn methods that work. My biggest fears are naturally in the area of emergencies or accidents where my situation leaves me out of the loop of communication. I just lost my job not just because of my concerns but because I communicated them to my superiors. I have not done that in the past.

When they seemed to be getting frustrated, I asked if they needed more help and at that point I made my exit. I just thought it would be a nice gesture. I know that when I get frustrated I sometimes wish someone would step in and help me! haha! I think in the end they were grateful for my help because they got what they wanted!

Happy New Year everybody!

And Happy New Year to you as well! I am sure you were helpful and if you were not you were anyway- it is a pleasure to know there are nice helpful people around. An extra bit of nice goes a long ways sometimes.

SilentSigns, both Reba and goodonya said that is good to be nice, but Reba says be realistic , know where you draw that line, dont become 'freinds' to give freebies or you'd be used...

helping out like as mention is this thread is ok, well, like Reba warned, becareful, be firm, just saying dont make a habit of it either.

Last edited:
doubt annoyed maybe frustrated,they may not have known asl...i bsl with people if see them struggling sometimes more often they help me...
i have young friend he works in local supermarket sadly his parents brought him up oral only he always happy see me and visa versa,we muddle along doing bits of everything

If the "Deaf Person/s" having difficulty "understanding" why wouldn't they "request the other party-write out" ?

Is it "reality" most "hearing persons" don't "understand ASL"?
Is it "likely" that some "stranger" will know/use" ASL?

What have the "Deaf person" done in the past to "deal with the above situation"?

If the "Deaf Person/s" having difficulty "understanding" why wouldn't they "request the other party-write out" ?

Is it "reality" most "hearing persons" don't "understand ASL"?
Is it "likely" that some "stranger" will know/use" ASL?

What have the "Deaf person" done in the past to "deal with the above situation"?

I'd like to know how it would be so different if the couple spoke Greek and a stranger, who also spoke Greek, stepped in to help them communicate. I doubt it would cause offense....

Laura

I'd like to know how it would be so different if the couple spoke Greek and a stranger, who also spoke Greek, stepped in to help them communicate. I doubt it would cause offense....

Laura

thats true

My reading of the OP-situation of a deaf couple buying some items with difficulty "with a store personnel".

An inference- the deaf couple have had previous" difficulty " in similar circumstances-what did they do before ? Presuming they have been deaf for some time.

aside: as a bilateral DEAF person-since December 20,2006-if my Cochlear Implant was disconnected I would immediately advise anyone of that fact. Would request one to write=forthwith. I have had this happen- when Implant had trouble.

Truthfully, I buy almost everything on the internet just to avoid any situation of this kind. When I do go shopping I am prepared, and don't usually need to clarify anything with store personnel.

From the wise word of Bottesini: the acceptance of one's "situation" does obviate "public difficulty in communication".

Back