Is it Offensive to Talk while among a Deaf crowd?

Well, yes it would be. If they speak and sign at the same time, it should be OK. If they are going to speak and not sign, perhaps they should move to another spot where deaf individuals are not present.

It is a free country and people can talk any where they feel like it as long talking is allowed . We know we can't talk in court , etc. If this is the case deaf people should not sign were there are hearing people! If I saw some deaf people signing I am not going to stop talking and moved! I really do not see why this just a big issue! I once when to the office for Deaf and HOH in college and to ask a question ,I do not know how to sign and if looks could kill I would had been dead! It is bad enough having to deal with hearing people but to have a deaf person not help you because you can't signs is nut! And the office was for HOH people too! I never got my answer!

That will never be accepted by the Deaf Community so you're better off using ASL than MCE's.

oh yeah i agree if that is what someone is trying to do, is to be accepted by Deaf community. but, for a deaf person who has nothing to do with the Deaf community than mce's are perfectly acceptable as long as the deaf person is still able to function ok by that means of communication.

i guess better get back on topic though........:wave:

Again, some people are getting into a conniption fit unnecessarily.

The scenario I presented at Gallaudet? How do we know they are not visitors and the fact that they may not know sign at all? Perhaps they were visiting Gallaudet Museum and both were hungry and ended up at the Market Place? Perhaps there was an event there that day that got them to come over to Gallaudet to support their team playing against Gally. Maybe it was baseball, soccer or a football game and they're from a different college who happens to wear a HA or CI? Or maybe there was a conference of sort? I didn't mention the age whether they are young adults or two adults talking who are in their 70s, and so on. Maybe they are late deafened adults? Maybe not. Maybe they are purposely being rude and do know sign? Who knows? They're both strangers there, both wear a HA or CI, and both are talking amongst themselves only and at table at Gallaudet's Market Place section. That's all I described. Yet, they get villified.

The point is, ya'll don't even know what the situation is about and don't know for a fact if those two people with HA/CI do know sign language or not seeing that they are talking and yakking away just between the two of them bothering no one and just enjoying a conversation and probably lunch. But behind unseen curtains the two talking people are now secretly hated, scorned, heaped upon and villified in the minds and eyes of many Deaf people who may have witness this horrible abomination of two talking deaf/hh people at a table on the holy grounds of Gallydom.

Again, who knows for sure about them? Mind readers were not.

oh yeah i agree if that is what someone is trying to do, is to be accepted by Deaf community. but, for a deaf person who has nothing to do with the Deaf community than mce's are perfectly acceptable as long as the deaf person is still able to function ok by that means of communication.

I disagree because there are some people in the Deaf Community who are very acceptance, while those Deaf culture crowd are not. I'm speaking from first-hand experience, so basically not everyone in the Deaf Community are individual pride. ;)

Sorry, kokonut for the off-topic post. heh

When I was at Gallaudet 10 years ago, two of my brother's good friends were very oral and SEE because they had never learned ASL growing up. To this day they are still good friends. That's because they did try to learn ASL instead of telling my brother and other Deaf people that they must communicate their way. As a result, they got respect from Deaf people.

That's fine but I am describing a whole different scenario here based on a very limited information I've given out.

Seems like many/most/some/few Deaf people would react rather indignantly although they wouldn't even know what the situation nor the background of those people to begin with.

Rather fascinating that people would actually do this...prejudicially.

That's fine but I am describing a whole different scenario here based on a very limited information I've given out.

Seems like many/most/some/few Deaf people would react rather indignantly although they wouldn't even know what the situation nor the background of those people to begin with.

At a public place, I have stated it is not rude but at Gallaudet, it is rude. I dont make the rules. I just respect the culture I am in. However, me personally, I dont pay attention anyway.

That's fine if you think it's rude. For myself, I am not privvy to make that sort of judgement in the first place just to justify my own feelings. Again, it wouldn't be my or anybody else's business about the two people at the table anyway.

And how would that make us any different from hearing people? They do this "prejudicially" too. They assume we can speak English or French... or whatever language of majority before they know that we are deaf since we cannot be identified easily. It's all based on assumptions, not prejudices.

Prejudice is one of the factors that come into play. It means to prejudge something without having sufficient knowledge.

That's fine if you think it's rude. For myself, I am not privvy to make that sort of judgement in the first place just to justify my own feelings. Again, it wouldn't be my or anybody else's business about the two people at the table anyway.

Feel free to do whatever you want. It is a freee country, or isnt it? U keep bringing it up again and again and again..your point has been made a LOOONGGG time ago. Getting kinda stangant now, FYI.

Free country or not, sometimes exercising the first amendment is still inconsiderate of others. :) Freedom of speech does not speak to politeness.

Why on earth would anyone enter a bastion of Deaf Culture and then intentionally disrespect the traditions and values of that culture? And moreover, be surprised, shocked, or insulted when they receive the expected reaction? Is it complete oblivion, or an intentional attempt to garner a reaction that can later be used to cast dispersions on Deaf Culture?

This is not a situation peculiar to Deaf Culture. Enter into a haven of any culture, and behave disrespectfully toward that culture, and you will get negative reactions in return.

A scenario based on two people in a private conversation. Nothing can be proven about disrespect but only to those who like to assume such things about the two people. You can call it "disrespect" while others do not who know better to just leave them alone and not worry to death over such trivial matters.

Are you actually trying to say that 2 people sitting at a table at Gally having a conversation, no matter their hearing status, are not aware that the Gally campus is a haven of deaf culture?

As I stated prior, walk into a cultural haven and disrespect the culture, and you will generate a negative reaction.

So what? They have the right to converse in whatever mode of communication. What are they going to do? Enforce a new rule that anyone who comes on campus *must* sign? Every visitors at Gallaudet Museum must be required to know ASL, too?

LOL.

How droll.

Let's have a little flexibility, shall we? It's not always about purposeful disrespect but a matter of convenience.

So what? They have the right to converse in whatever mode of communication. What are they going to do? Enforce a new rule that anyone who comes on campus *must* sign? Every visitors at Gallaudet Museum must be required to know ASL, too?

LOL.

How droll.

Let's have a little flexibility, shall we? It's not always about purposeful disrespect but a matter of convenience.

It is apparent right there that you dont care about Deaf culture so why keep arguing. It seems that you will do whatever you want and like I said, it is a free country. I dont think you would really care if you get a negative reaction. You have been getting that all over on AD so why focus on such a "trivial" thing?

Back