Is it Offensive to Talk while among a Deaf crowd?

That's fine if you think it's rude. For myself, I am not privvy to make that sort of judgement in the first place just to justify my own feelings. Again, it wouldn't be my or anybody else's business about the two people at the table anyway.

Then why create this thread? If you think it's nobody's business, then why ask everyone to "have at it" as in your original post and pass judgment about this "couple" ?

Then why create this thread? If you think it's nobody's business, then why ask everyone to "have at it" as in your original post and pass judgment about this "couple" ?

I think it's nobody's business but I don't know what others would say but I had my suspicions.

English words in ASL? Iam not sure what you mean as I see English and ASL as totally separate languages unless you mean fingerspelling?
Example; The word Store. There is an ASL sign for the word Store isn't there? Assuming there is, the person uses the ASL sign for Store and mouths the English word Store as they are signing in ASL. Aren't there many English words that there are ASL signs for??

I thought some deaf do it because they communicate better if they mouth it. kinda like how some hearing people communicate if they use body language (such as shaking their head while saying no).

One D/deaf lady told me to mouth while I sign to my son. I am not sure what Shel means when she says it's not ASL if you mouth the word with the sign. :confused:

One D/deaf lady told me to mouth while I sign to my son. I am not sure what Shel means when she says it's not ASL if you mouth the word with the sign. :confused:

Depend on what you define as mouthing.

If you say "berserk," then the mouth movement won't match the mouth morpheme used in ASL for the same word and would have different emphasis on what the signer means-- even it is not the true intention of the signer.

Some English words match up to the mouth morphemes, some don't.

If you work with interpreters that can switch between SEE or PSE and ASL and incorporate mouth movement into their translation, then you can visually see the difference between mouthing and mouth morphemes, especially moreso at a college level. SEE/PSE interpreters enunciate the full words on their lips, while ASL interpreters only have morphemes.

But about 80% of everyday English consist of 100 common words though (I forgot the study I am referring to here)... so conversational English would not have the stark differences between mouthing and mouth morphemes showing up.

Aren't there English words in ASL? Why if someone is mouthing the English word while signing in ASL would it not be considered using ASL? I'm just curious..

There are English word equivilents to the concepts communicated through the ASL sign. But then, there are also Spanish word equivilents, German word equivilents, and Hungarian word equivilents for the ASL concept. The sign represents a concept, not a word. That concept can be translated into the words of any spoken language, but it doesn't mean that the sign and the word are the same thing.

Example; The word Store. There is an ASL sign for the word Store isn't there? Assuming there is, the person uses the ASL sign for Store and mouths the English word Store as they are signing in ASL. Aren't there many English words that there are ASL signs for??

ASL is a conceptual language...it is not borrowed from English.

Back