Is ASL Fading Away or Not?

all very fine in the defense of science.

still, i'd like to see some links or references to those studies.

all very fine in the defense of science.

still, i'd like to see some links or references to those studies.

You know, we've got a generation of people who want everything the easy way....do it for me. Try the Journal of Deaf Studies and Education, The American Annals of the Deaf, and numeorus texts and books out there. No one does my research for me. Its out there if you truly want to broaden your perspective.

Without science, all you have is subjective anecdote. Might be interesting, but hardly a solid foundation for setting policy.

It takes more than 4 years of parenting a deaf child to develop expertise, cloggy. Simply having 4 short years of experience with one child hardly qualifies you as an expert in anything, {previous comment had been edited, removed here as well--~RR}.

This insulting attack on a member has been reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with jillo's opinion -- 4 years parenting a deaf child doesn't make us an expert. I do not view this as "insulting".

If all one does is parent a deaf child, one never becomes an expert on deafness. One must become actively involved with the deaf communicty outside the limited experience of one deaf child.

Used car salesmen, advertising, and lawyers would be 3 that come to mind.

And politicans.. :)

Yes, expert on deafness and expert on parenting an deaf child is two vast different things.

Experiences and stories from deaf people seems to be far more mutual than the choices parents do for their children.

Mod Note:

Thread's re-opened--some posts were either edited or removed.

All the bickering/belittling...even those 'hidden' underlying insults and whatnots needs to cease. C'mon folks, no need for this--

There's several wars going on throughout our world, however, there really is no need for it in here, in Alldeaf. This is the time of year to have joy, to spread the happiness and joy of the season, in here is as good as anywhere to spread that. It's not so hard to do...simply refrain from starting anything or replying to frivolous nonsense and hold the peace.

Peace out--

~RR

OMG! Forbidding to learn ASL! And yet, there are those that refuse to see that the current debates are nothing more than the repeat of the history of forced oralism on the coat tails of the cochlear implant! Technology might be moving forward, but it is obvious that thinking has regressed about 200 years.

Thanks for the link, rd.

OMG! Forbidding to learn ASL! And yet, there are those that refuse to see that the current debates are nothing more than the repeat of the history of forced oralism on the coat tails of the cochlear implant! Technology might be moving forward, but it is obvious that thinking has regressed about 200 years.

Thanks for the link, rd.

Yeah thanks for the link, RD. Yep, things have not changed much even if technology has changed. As much as I love my CI, I don't hold with the oralist agenda that so many CI supporters have.

It is just wrong to limit the families and child's choice. The choice to learn ASL or not should not be in the hands of others. It is just wrong.

Bill 118 is not forbidding the families to learn ASL, but it reads that the government funding for the learning ASL has been pulled.

If a family is interested in a cochlear implant for their young Deaf child in the IHP program and they simultaneously want ASL exposure for their child. IHP will not fund the ASL services

http://www.chs.ca/pdf/Bill_118_Submission.pdf

Bill 118 is not forbidding the families to learn ASL, but it reads that the government funding for the learning ASL has been pulled.

http://www.chs.ca/pdf/Bill_118_Submission.pdf

Lets see.....government funding for cochlear implant....... government funding pulled for ASL instruction for parents considering CI for their child. How is that not restrictive? It is pure manipulation of a parent's ride to make decision regarding their child. As well as support for the conclusion that CI and the renewed efforts at forced oralism are intimately tied together.

question about ASL fading away?

I read your posts about ASL fading away...

well, it can be true because I researched few history you need to know.

when old FSL being brought from France to America, they still use 63% old FSL, later native american sign language and home made signs were added in 50 year later.

so we no longer use old FSL anymore because old FSL already faded away because we can't restore it back...

so we did fade old ASL away, for example, using two hands like help, several signs like this. this was why old ASL are faded away. because we don't need to use old signs like them anymore.

in addition, in my option, I would say "evolution of ASL" from beginning of old FSL to modern ASL

in addition, be aware of this SEE and PSE because SEE was growing fastest than ASL in 70's. in my opinion I would say one word "accompany" because I believe in deaf communities use ASL, SEE, and PSE they will be combined into Modern ASL. I am sure ASL, SEE and PSE will soon faded away if we evolve signing style is modern ASL.

same reason as happened to Italy, Latin were faded away until they named a language after name of country in 18th century because Italian still speaks Latin as same before

Why they will be combined into Modern ASL? two reasons, if many deaf people do not have videophone, so they would vary ASL, PSE and SEE forever. when they have VP presently, so they will adjust and adhere (stick together) together before new modern ASL will be combined in future.

two reasons, deaf communities have been growing fast to provide technology, education, recreation, and etc which to improve new sign style

Garrett

Lets see.....government funding for cochlear implant....... government funding pulled for ASL instruction for parents considering CI for their child. How is that not restrictive? It is pure manipulation of a parent's ride to make decision regarding their child. As well as support for the conclusion that CI and the renewed efforts at forced oralism are intimately tied together.

I agree with you...that is VERY restrictive. Oralism at its worst with this situation. :roll:

I guess it really depends on how you look at it. Many are still learning Asl and wanting to learn asl, but yet, oralism and implants are becoming more popular too. I know when I have children Asl will be their first language and Tagalog and English will be their second. I will teach and stress Asl to be their primary language.

Nah. Dont worry about ASL. Deaf Culture and Deafhood will not allow this to happen (Remember infamous Milan 1880? Fortunately for us that Gallaudet preserved ASL) It will remain strong especially with emergence of bi bi philosophy.

Only thing we have to worry is Cochlear Implants and Oralism. They are visible threat to ASL.

If Earth has end of the world and we live either in underwater or in space, there is no air to make communicate, we have to use sign language.

Back