Is ASL Fading Away or Not?

You sound like my mother. Things haven't changed even though techology has changed. You're not very open to our views judging from your post. We may not know your child's likes or dislikes but we certainly know what communcation barriers she'll face.

Most hearing do not understand what we really need as it's all speech speech and they neglect our language skills. They insisit that we be just like them. Even if some of us want to, we can never be truly like the hearing.

:gpost:!!

You only made one post today, and You had to quoted Banjo's on your first visit, on Alldeaf Luv2Chat? It doesn't sound so right to me, something fishy is going on. :ugh3:

?????What does this being my first post have to do with anything? This may be my first post but its not my first visit. Reread my quote.

You sound like my mother. Things haven't changed even though techology has changed. You're not very open to our views judging from your post. We may not know your child's likes or dislikes but we certainly know what communcation barriers she'll face.

Most hearing do not understand what we really need as it's all speech speech and they neglect our language skills. They insisit that we be just like them. Even if some of us want to, we can never be truly like the hearing.

Things have changed and if you don't see that then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. You don't know anything about my daughter and how she communicates so who are you to judge. You don't know her speech or language skills you just assume the worst right off the bat. My child is her own person, she does not need to be "truly like the hearing" or whatever. Her hearing status does not idenify her. Her personality and her heart makes her who she is.

shel90- Cued Speech was not invented because of the written format of Enlglish, but because Dr. Cornett was concernd by the low level of Enlgish literacy amongst some deaf children.

I give up. Nothing is making sense anymore. I will just stick to sign language and spoken language cuz they makes the most sense to me.

Things have changed and if you don't see that then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. You don't know anything about my daughter and how she communicates so who are you to judge. You don't know her speech or language skills you just assume the worst right off the bat. My child is her own person, she does not need to be "truly like the hearing" or whatever. Her hearing status does not idenify her. Her personality and her heart makes her who she is.

My mom thought the same about me. She thought I was happy and well adjusted growing up. She was wrong...big time wrong. She missed all the signs of my struggles so that is why we, deaf adults, try to tell the parents to watch out for those signs. Up to you parents to keep them in mind or just disregard our advice and experiences.

OMG, i cant believe what i am reading at this sight. I've been checking out this sight for some time now trying to get some more info on deaf culture. I have a 7 year old child who is deaf and wears a ci. I figured she is old enough now to understand when we talk about different cultures. One thing i must say is this is absolutely NOT the place to get any info regarding deaf culture. Statements that are made like the one above make me just shake my head. I am hearing and my child is deaf BUT if you think you know my child better then me because you are deaf, then i'm sorry but you are sadly mistaken. This is not the 1970's where parents had no access to info as easy as we do now or where parents were ashamed if their child had a disability. Times have changed and so has technology. Of course you guys had it rough growing up, technology back then sucked and most relied on lip reading and just got frustrated, well whether you want to believe it or not times have changed. You talk about hearing parents have not walked a mile in a deaf persons shoe...well guess what you have not walked a mile in my shoe either and infact nor have you walked in my childs either whether you want to believe it or not. Nobody knows another persons child more then the parent and for you to believe that is insane. Just becase you expeirenced a rough childhood does not mean every deaf child will. Their may be a few bad apples out there but don't generalize all hearing parents who do not agree with you because if that's the case then i really don't need to look into the deaf culture any more based on what i am seeing here. Heres some advise for you, treat people the way oyu want to be treated;)

Perhaps you should read what I wrote...

Banjo's World: The Importance of Communication

Who said I had a rough childhood? I certainly did not. I had a great childhood. Certainly much better than what many deaf children experienced. I have a set of great parents. Besides I'm 24, I was born in the 80s where cochlear implants were starting be experimented on deaf adults.

I never said I know your child better than you do. I only said that the parents don't know what it's like to be deaf, only their children do. My parents were hearing, I have learned awfully a lot from them about what they went through with me. I also know a lot of parents and I have a lot of deaf friends. I have a lot of on-hand experiences and not to mention that I used to work as a peer helper for the deaf. By the way, you mentioned that your child is only 7. That's still awfully young. Just wait till they are adults, maybe you'll be surprised that you don't know your children as well as you thought. God knows that I've seen it enough times since I used to be a peer helper for the deaf.

You can think whatever reason you want for why I was "banned" but if you seriuosly think that "insults and attacks" are only from those who are parents of ci kids then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would love to sell to you.

Maybe the next time you choose to attack me, you will have the decency to do it directly to me and not bury it in some other thread.

Rick48, you are the last person here who should be giving me an advice on decency. This is a public forum, I will name names, I'm not going to beat around the bush. I will not notify the members whenever I mention them in a thread. If it's here, it's here for you to read whether you like it or not.

Nobody knows another persons child more then the parent

Only if that was true for every child. Thankfully, my parents know me quite well. I can't say the same for some of my friends and others.

Cloggy,

It's a wonder why people would listen to you after all that conspiracy theories you spew out about 9/11 and that it was an insider job. You tried to say it was true.

You have absolutely no credibility here at Alldeaf.com. This isn't a personal attack, but it's quite clear you are only here to provoke the members by belittling their intelligence on a daily basis.

Enough is enough. It's quite clear you are no longer welcome here because of your hostility toward the other members simply because you don't agree with them. You treat them like second-class citizens.

You are not deaf. Your daughter is, not but you. You seem to keep forgetting that. Therefore, your knowledge on deafness is much, much more limited whether you like it or not. You have demonstrated how limited your knowledge is on many occasions. Even hearing parents like Jillo know that and they know better not to cross that line with us.

What I'm saying is, we don't need hearing parents coming in here and tell us you know what's the best for deaf children. Especially when we are deaf. We should be debating in a civilized manner, but with that attitude of yours, we are getting nowhere. Instead, you keep pointing fingers and provoking members then try to turn the table on them and say they started it.

It always has been you. Always been you. Truth is, you have no people skills. You haven't shown any of that at all. All you have managed to do is offend and provoke more and more people.

You are in fact, saying that we are not qualified to give out any advices. Yet you are. You blatantly ignore the first-hand experiences of many deaf members here. We have quite a few CI users here and they are nowhere as hostile as you and the other hearing parents like Rick48 have been. Heck, Rick got banned because he couldn't resist urging insults and attack people even though he was already warned. Some people are just ill tempered. They have no self-control. The reason why CI users are perfectly welcome here is because they know what’s it’s like to be deaf even though our experiences differ on a large scale, but we all know what it’s like to be deaf.

So do your daughter. I just hope she won’t turn out to be such an arrogant person like you are and I truly hope she will be an independent woman and is unafraid to tell you what’s on her mind. Even if the truth hurts.

You have long forgotten what it’s like to be a child. They seem so innocent and carefree. Then once they grow up, they start to see you differently and realize your flaws as a parent. That day will come for you. Not now, not anytime soon. But someday, the truth will strike you where it hurts the most.

Not trying to dampen your day, but I just had to say it. Wake up and smell the coffee, the world doesn’t revolve around you. Not everybody share the same views as you do. You are not an expert on deafness. Your daughter is. She knows what it’s like because she has the first-hand experience of it. You may try to understand it, but you truly won’t until you experience it.

Here’s an advice, start treating people the way you want to be treated. Then you might be surprised what a difference it makes.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

:gpost:, :gpost:, :gpost:!!!, Merry Christmas to you too!

My mom thought the same about me. She thought I was happy and well adjusted growing up. She was wrong...big time wrong. She missed all the signs of my struggles so that is why we, deaf adults, try to tell the parents to watch out for those signs. Up to you parents to keep them in mind or just disregard our advice and experiences.

I know quite a lot of people who turned out like that.

I am very sorry about your struggles growing up. No parent wants that for their child. I'm not trying to speak for all hearing parents but i think most of us do come here to learn about the struggles and experiences that are common with people who are deaf. Thats why i say times have changed, parents now do their homework (at least i hope they do) and sites like these help us to further understand deafness better. It also helps us meet other parents who have deaf children and share experiences with eachother. I know i came out blazing with my first post but when i read what banjo wrote it bugged me. Advice is great and thats why we are here but nobody has the right to tell a parent that they know their child better then that parent.

Amen!!!

Banjo, great post! It's sad that those parents, that love their kids so much, are at a greater risk of loosing the bonds to their children in the future, if they do not change their view on the adult deaf population :(

jillio - Your words not mine.

Loml, I do not reject CS as a tool, but I am a bit confused about your positions.

Is CS a great communication tool, or do it have limits in communication? Is CS better to use with newborns waiting for a CI than ASL? Is it a great idea that CS should be the language of all deaf people, not ASL?

Is it an idea to explain your positions on CS once for all? Cloggy keep on posting articles that seems to disagree with your viewpoints, but I am not sure.

In a vacuum that sounds impressive but figures I have seen have only 550,000 people in the US AND Canada who use ASL. So it is a very small percentage of the total population.

Still, I do not see ASL ever fading away as a substantial portion of the deaf population will use it as either their primary or secondary method of communication.

Your logic is fallicious.

OMG, i cant believe what i am reading at this sight. I've been checking out this sight for some time now trying to get some more info on deaf culture. I have a 7 year old child who is deaf and wears a ci. I figured she is old enough now to understand when we talk about different cultures. One thing i must say is this is absolutely NOT the place to get any info regarding deaf culture. Statements that are made like the one above make me just shake my head. I am hearing and my child is deaf BUT if you think you know my child better then me because you are deaf, then i'm sorry but you are sadly mistaken. This is not the 1970's where parents had no access to info as easy as we do now or where parents were ashamed if their child had a disability. Times have changed and so has technology. Of course you guys had it rough growing up, technology back then sucked and most relied on lip reading and just got frustrated, well whether you want to believe it or not times have changed. You talk about hearing parents have not walked a mile in a deaf persons shoe...well guess what you have not walked a mile in my shoe either and infact nor have you walked in my childs either whether you want to believe it or not. Nobody knows another persons child more then the parent and for you to believe that is insane. Just becase you expeirenced a rough childhood does not mean every deaf child will. Their may be a few bad apples out there but don't generalize all hearing parents who do not agree with you because if that's the case then i really don't need to look into the deaf culture any more based on what i am seeing here. Heres some advise for you, treat people the way oyu want to be treated;)

Banjo did not claim to know anyone's child better than a parent....he simply stated that he, and all other deaf, know that child's deafness from a perspective that a hearing parent cannot.

And if you think parents have complete access to information, you need to check out some of the other posts around this forum. It would be an eye opening experience for you.

Technology has changed. Deafness hasn't. Nor does technology provide complete access, and has variable results when applied to individuals. It is not a panacea.

And if you think they have changed, you are living in a fantasy world. Nor do you know anything about the posters you are so quick to judge. And whether you realize it or not, her personality will be shaped, in part, by her deafness.

I am very sorry about your struggles growing up. No parent wants that for their child. I'm not trying to speak for all hearing parents but i think most of us do come here to learn about the struggles and experiences that are common with people who are deaf. Thats why i say times have changed, parents now do their homework (at least i hope they do) and sites like these help us to further understand deafness better. It also helps us meet other parents who have deaf children and share experiences with eachother. I know i came out blazing with my first post but when i read what banjo wrote it bugged me. Advice is great and thats why we are here but nobody has the right to tell a parent that they know their child better then that parent.

The times have not changed as much as you think. Many here was around in the 70's, and met all parts of the deaf population daily for decades, and I can't see much is changed. The numbers of deaf in schools are more or less the same, deaf kids fails in mainstream programs as they allways have, deaf children are still deprived of any language. I am still waiting for the impact and revolution CI is supposed to do to the deaf community.

I wish I did not have to, but I have more than once interpreted to a deaf child what their parents is trying to tell them. I strongly disagree that deaf people don't have the right to tell parents that they know their children in some areas better than their parents.

Nor do you know anything about me or wether I can speak or not or just sign. I do have a good idea of what communication barriers she'll face. Just being able to speak or lipread won't help with being able to understand others around her.

While that's good you don't think she needs to be hearing, I'm afraid that's not true for many hearing parents of deaf children.

You're rather judgmental of us and you don't even know us. Nope, if your post is any example things haven't changed.

Flip said: "I wish I did not have to, but I have more than once interpreted to a deaf child what their parents is trying to tell them. I strongly disagree that deaf people don't have the right to tell parents that they know their children in some areas better than their parents."

Gosh, I cannot tell you how many times over my 35 year career working at a school for the deaf that I have had to be both the supervisor and interpreter between parents and their children. It never ceased to be embarrassing. Although our school strongly encouraged parents to learn ASL along with other items in the IEP's, all I could do, in the interim, after parents departed for home, leaving their child there....was to tell the child that just because your parents don't love you the way you want them to love you (communicate), it doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.....messages like these to children got to me, knowing it was just a Band Aid.

In fact, the use af ASL facilitates such, as has been shown in the voluminous research that indicates that the children with the best oral skills are also the children with the best signing skills.
Yes, I read that.... with Cued-Speech -signing at the very top !!!

Back