is a gift card a good christmas present?

The closer I am to someone, the less likely it will be that I would get them a gift card.
Pretty much the same for me.

Definitely, A Gift Card is a good idea for a Christmas present.

I've always made sure to get a gift card from one of their favorite stores. I also would throw in something small to have a personal touch to it to make it meaningful.

Last year, I gave my sister and step-sister each a gift card to Bath & Body Works. They loved it and the funny thing is, both of them gave me a gift card to Bath & Body Works too. :)

I've always made sure to get a gift card from one of their favorite stores. I also would throw in something small to have a personal touch to it to make it meaningful.

Last year, I gave my sister and step-sister each a gift card to Bath & Body Works. They loved it and the funny thing is, both of them gave me a gift card to Bath & Body Works too. :)

I do the same too! I like to make my gifts personal and just giving a gift card seems so impersonal. I love those small gifts that Walmart has.

Gift cards are wonderful for Xmas gifts because they help your beloved ones get what you need. Also, they save you some money by putting them in Xmas cards instead of packing gifts in packages which will cost you a bit lot. And, they have helped me speed up my Xmas shopping by giving gift cards in Xmas cards for most of my beloved ones.

Also my family and close friends asked me what I want for Xmas and I told them that I wanted gift cards from specific stores.

I do the same too! I like to make my gifts personal and just giving a gift card seems so impersonal. I love those small gifts that Walmart has.

Oh yeah, Walmart has some nifty small gifts. I like those too. Also, Sometime you can find small gifts at Dollar General Stores or any of these stores that sells tons of gimmicks. Sometime, for fun, I'd add some small gag gifts to add the humor to it. :)

What a good idea. I am nearly finished with my Christmas shopping. I decided to buy gift cards but like you, I added something small so that they could go home with at least something and not just a gift card.

Merry Christmas! :)

Thanks everyone!

I decided to go with gift cards with a small gift, for the younger members of my family, and then I bought gifts for those who are older. Its hard to know what kids want these days, what is cool, and what is not, LOL.

The malls are super crazy now so I am hoping the majority of you are done with your Christmas shopping!

Also my family and close friends asked me what I want for Xmas and I told them that I wanted gift cards from specific stores.

Ha ha, yeah my family is pretty much the same. We tell each other what we want. But hey, don't you think its a little sad that we don't get surprises anymore? I cant remember the last time I was surprised to be honest. At least we get something we want/need, and not some junk. LOL.

But be aware that some gift cards have time limits on when they can be used...if you don't use it by a certain deadline, then you can lose some of your money. Also, some of the pre-paid cards sometime do not work.

I don't think it's tacky at all, especially if I asked the immediate member of the family what did they want, and if it's something I can't afford...then I buy them a gift card in the amount of which I can afford, so they can put that money in the gift card towards the gift they wanted.

For example, my fiance wants a couple of specific XBOX 360 games. I can't afford those games, cause those two he wanted, they had just came out, and they are expen$ive. So I asked if he would like me to buy him a gift card that he could use towards the XBOX 360 games, or would he like me to buy a couple of movies off of Amazon.com for him. He said he would like a gift card instead, so gift card it is.

I do not think it is tacky. You don't always know what the person wants. If you end up buying something he does not want, that is tacky and the person will end up not using it, selling it for something else, or regift it to someone else. I know this, because my immediate family members have gotten me crap that I did not want and/or didn't like. Those gifts are useless. If you know what the person wants, great, buy that gift. But if you don't, it's best to buy a gift card for that person so he or she can get what he or she wants.

Don't get me wrong. :) The OP didn't say who she is buying the gift cards for. :)

That's why I say, " It dependswho it is..." :)

What a good idea. I am nearly finished with my Christmas shopping. I decided to buy gift cards but like you, I added something small so that they could go home with at least something and not just a gift card.

Merry Christmas! :)

Thanks. I'm not even done with my Christmas shopping, ha! Hopefully I'll get that done sometime this weekend, provided, if there's not any distractions along the way. Yeah, something small will do and not only that, it shows that the thoughts counts too. When I gave the gift cards in the past with nothing attached, I just felt that it was just an 'empty' gift because to me, it seems like it was just a "hand-me-down" gift with no reasons to it.

Merry Christmas to you too! :)

recently, i got christmas gift from my coworker.

i opened the envolpe, he was laughing and do brotherly handfist with me. I puzzled and opened...

AW JEEZ, it is 25 bucks gift card for Hooter's..[shake head]. He told me that he met two ladies who work there that are ASL students at college. what a interesting christmas gift.

Originally Posted by Jolie77

Ditto.

I alway use something small gift to match a gift card or decorate money on small gift. It's something than just a gift card or money...

My oldest son want money instead of order designer clothes via internet like he did last year. No problem, he will get it but I decorate money on gifts to surprise him than just a money...

I alway do that for wedding, anniversary, confirmation, "0"th birthday, etc.

Example pictures... money gift like this...

money gift - Google Bilder

Wedding and anniversaries money gift...

geldgeschenk hochzeit - Google Bilder

geldgeschenk hochzeitstag - Google Bilder

Birthday money gift...

geldgeschenk geburtstag - Google Bilder

Gift cards that make them feel cheap without thoughtful what they want.

Otherwise, it make more easy for them to choice when purchase with less to spent out of your pocket.

Back