is a gift card a good christmas present?

missywinks

Reaction score
i am in the middle of doing some christmas shopping. i am curious to your opinion whether you think gift cards passes as a good christmas present or not? :ty:

Gift cards are great! Especially if you know the interests of the person you are giving them too.

They are also great for someone to get a really big thing they want if everyone gives a gift card to the place where they buy.

Gift cards are great! Especially if you know the interests of the person you are giving them too.

They are also great for someone to get a really big thing they want if everyone gives a gift card to the place where they buy.

:gpost: I totally agree. In my experience, make sure they will likely use it - usually where they shop often. I've found there have been a few gift cards I have given gone unused.

gift cards are perfect gifts for christmas so everyone can pick what they wanted with the cards smile..

Yeah gift cards are perfect... if we got one gift card that might not match what we want but we can exchange gift cards to get what we wanna have.. lol...

definitely yes gift cards are good to give out if u dont know what they want for christmas, so gift card is a big tip to help what they are interests or wants to have....

i am in the middle of doing some christmas shopping. i am curious to your opinion whether you think gift cards passes as a good christmas present or not? :ty:

Of course it does, Sometimes I would tell my family to get me a gift card when I don't know what I want for Christmas. :P

Whoa, whoa, WHOA FOLKS!

It depends who you are shopping for.......if you are buying a gift card for an immediate member of your family--it's kind of tacky to give them a gift card because it shows that you did not put any thought into their gift.

If it is a teenager--by all means--yes.

Again--it depends who it is for.

BTW--you can get me a gift card for the Body Shop! :) *hint hint* :giggle:

I like the idea of a pre paid visa or master card better. That way they don't have to resort to a specific store or resturant.

Yes, gift cards is a good way as a gift if you don't really know what to get for a person or the person who has everything which making it harder to think what do she/he really need. Gift cards from a nice shops are better cos if you get one from a cheap shop, person will think you are being cheap. Also make sure the shop is near or in the area where the person lives so the person don't have to go far away to choose their gift. I had a gift card once a long time ago and the shop I had to go to is over the other side of the city miles away and I finally use the card about 3 months later. Just finding a time to get over there was a downturn so keep that in your mind the locations of the stores to where the person lives. :)

i think it is good idea to have giftcard as present. He or She can do whatever want to buy. Its all good, its win-win situation anyway.

yeah that true!

mostly stores and restaurant always acceptance for gift cards include christmas,birthdays,anniversary,congrats,retires and lots of mores brand of gifts any stores or restaurant they acceptance gifts whatsoevers.

im sure walmart had tons of gift cards im sure they welcome get one for each families and also restaurant have gift cards at walmart too.

my dad always give me for christmas and my birthday of gift cards every years what im really wanted but sometimes he give me real $100 dollars trust me

Last edited:
The closer I am to someone, the less likely it will be that I would get them a gift card.

Yes, they are great...I usually also buy a small gift like pre-wrapped hot chocolate package with a decorated mug along with the gift card. Walmart has a great selection of those small cute gifts under $10. For me, it adds a personal touch to the gift since I feel that gift cards are very impersonal. That's just me.

It depends on the person for me...I got mybf a xmas card last year to 2 really expensive stores but that's because he's picky with clothing and i didn't want to just give him plain ol' money lol i got him other stuff too for PS3 and cute stuff

Best of all is

McDonalds%20gift%20certificate.gif

I don't mind gift cards from family that lives out of states...save on shipping!! My son got gift cards from my aunt, that is his Great Aunt. And he finally got what he wanted...Nerf guns! :roll: Bigger one...jeez what a kid! LOL!

Most of the time our family send us cash instead of gift cards...I don't mind at all. :)

Whoa, whoa, WHOA FOLKS!

It depends who you are shopping for.......if you are buying a gift card for an immediate member of your family--it's kind of tacky to give them a gift card because it shows that you did not put any thought into their gift.

If it is a teenager--by all means--yes.

Again--it depends who it is for.

BTW--you can get me a gift card for the Body Shop! :) *hint hint* :giggle:

I don't think it's tacky at all, especially if I asked the immediate member of the family what did they want, and if it's something I can't afford...then I buy them a gift card in the amount of which I can afford, so they can put that money in the gift card towards the gift they wanted.

For example, my fiance wants a couple of specific XBOX 360 games. I can't afford those games, cause those two he wanted, they had just came out, and they are expen$ive. So I asked if he would like me to buy him a gift card that he could use towards the XBOX 360 games, or would he like me to buy a couple of movies off of Amazon.com for him. He said he would like a gift card instead, so gift card it is.

I do not think it is tacky. You don't always know what the person wants. If you end up buying something he does not want, that is tacky and the person will end up not using it, selling it for something else, or regift it to someone else. I know this, because my immediate family members have gotten me crap that I did not want and/or didn't like. Those gifts are useless. If you know what the person wants, great, buy that gift. But if you don't, it's best to buy a gift card for that person so he or she can get what he or she wants.

Back