IP-Relay vs SVRS Relay :-P

DeafBiker4JC

Reaction score
Why is it when I use online relay people are automatically jerks but when I use VP theyre sugary sweet?

Today using VP Mom said I love you. (I dont know if the male operator that did that call browses AD, if u see this <3) and I said ok bye and Mom said WELL YOU DONT LOVE ME?!?! and I'm looking at some older man and Im like um mom Im not telling this guy I love you.... sorry Ma!

Mom e-mailed me saying she was in tears from laughter.

Yes, that is TRUE PROOF!!! Its the speed of conversation! When using IP relay, hearing caller1 MUST MUST MUST
T (pause)
A (pause)
L (pause)
K (pause)
(pause)
S(pause)
L (pause)
O (pause)
W (pause)
L (pause)
Y (pause)

! ! !

Can you deal like that?

With Videophone, you can talk as fast as you'd like to be! That is why hearing love VRS than TRS!

That is WHOLE point why I encourage deafies to go for VideoPhone!

DeafBiker4JC said:
Why is it when I use online relay people are automatically jerks but when I use VP theyre sugary sweet?

Today using VP Mom said I love you. (I dont know if the male operator that did that call browses AD, if u see this <3) and I said ok bye and Mom said WELL YOU DONT LOVE ME?!?! and I'm looking at some older man and Im like um mom Im not telling this guy I love you.... sorry Ma!

That's not always true about the voice user having to pause in between words. In most cases, the responses are short enough for us to be able to type out all by short memory, and still be correct in verbatim. Also keep in mind we are able to program our own short cuts to use, and MCI even provides is with many already programmed into the system. Now some people just speak naturally fast. In those cases yes, it is necessary for themv to speak more slowly. In long winded, drawn out respondes, it is also necessary to speak more slowly, because we have to type every single word. Even mistakes. But in comparison to TRS, I do agree. VRS is supperior. I just don't like exaggerations, although it is true that some ROs cannot keep up worth beans.

What about deafies who type with just two fingers, or even worse I know one type with only one finger! It takes forever to complete the sentence with one finger!

Im sure it is easier for Relay operator to be able to type faster because they HAVE to type all de time!

From my experience between these relay types. I am not trying to exaggerate anything. I already noticed MAJOR difference, when I had to do business with company for our customers. Though the TTY relay service, it take one application to go though in 50 minutes, on other hand going though VRS I was ABLE to complete 12 applications in just AN hour! I said, WHOA! that is MAJOR difference.

cental34 said:
That's not always true about the voice user having to pause in between words. In most cases, the responses are short enough for us to be able to type out all by short memory, and still be correct in verbatim. Also keep in mind we are able to program our own short cuts to use, and MCI even provides is with many already programmed into the system. Now some people just speak naturally fast. In those cases yes, it is necessary for themv to speak more slowly. In long winded, drawn out respondes, it is also necessary to speak more slowly, because we have to type every single word. Even mistakes. But in comparison to TRS, I do agree. VRS is supperior. I just don't like exaggerations, although it is true that some ROs cannot keep up worth beans.

DeafBiker4JC said:

You're weird. Would you hesitate to sign ILY to your mom over video? After all, it's just a video camera you're signing ILY to. I bet these guys do it all the time and just love it when you deviate from the standard or when you get embarrassed to say it because "there's someone else there."

I didn't know you were referring to both typing ends. In that case, if you are also referring to the text user, yes, there are alot of pauses. In some cases, I wait for the caller to give the GA before I start to read just to make normal talking time.

I understand your concerns, but because I was able to type very fast, and still I already did experiment and that the TRS really take too much time comparing to VRS. I would be happy to support if I could do though TRS faster than VRS. But I never achieve that!
Whats more, I ran into less misunderstanding though VRS than would I though TRS! I had to repeat several times though TRS to clarify what I mean, and often person got the wrong idea. This rarely happens on VRS!
Bottom line, I have nothing against TRS, and don't want them to stop doing business at all. Reason? Videophone is NOT available everywhere. So, I would still use TRS from time to time.

cental34 said:
I didn't know you were referring to both typing ends. In
that case, if you are also referring to the text user, yes, there are alot of pauses. In some cases, I wait for the caller to give the GA before I start to read just to make normal talking time.

:gpost:

I called someone through VRS for important business. To my surprised, there is a big difference between TRS and VRS. Most time I used TRS and they either hang up or repeat questions if they didn't understand what I said. Sometimes, TRS operator told me what they sound like or something like that. I started to like VRS better than TRS. :) It's less misunderstand and clearly through VRS. TRS often misunderstand or misplace the number when I dial.

My deaf lady friend often use VRS to call hearies, and that VRS operator always describe in action and gesture what hearies sound like or something. Very interesting.

diehardbiker65 said:
T (pause)
A (pause)
L (pause)
K (pause)
(pause)
S(pause)
L (pause)
O (pause)
W (pause)
L (pause)
Y (pause)

Why? Because TRS like$ them.

M...O....U....$....E!

Richard

iChat AV with HOVRS is way better than any VRS ever.

Why? Whatever someone cannot make clear with finger spelling. You simple typing and send im which much faster than ever.

I am sorry, that's available only for Mac OS X.

It gave me a great advantage to give number or spelling much quick than hand.

EDGE said:
iChat AV with HOVRS is way better than any VRS ever.

Why? Whatever someone cannot make clear with finger spelling. You simple typing and send im which much faster than ever.

I am sorry, that's available only for Mac OS X.

It gave me a great advantage to give number or spelling much quick than hand.

You can do the same thing with AIM and HOVRS on a PC. Sorry, but the Mac has no advantage.

I don't think you understand. It TAKES about 2 to 3 seconds to type a word, while hearing person can say it in less than half second! That is where the delay is involved when it comes to typing to somebody.

Remember, average hearing people can talk 300 WPM JFK can do 600 WPM (broke world record), VERSES baud rate on typing is limited to 60 WPM! You can't type faster than 60 WPM on TTY machine, and if your lucky can type over 100 WPM though ASCII relay service or IP relay. This rarely happens. On other hand, though VRS, you can talk at rate of anywhere between 200 to 400WPM! I often finish my talk a while before the relay operator speaks translation!

Nesmuth said:
Why? Because TRS like$ them.

M...O....U....$....E!

Richard

Exactly! That is my whole point! I have got hang up twice on VRS, I had to explain that this is NOT TRS!!! They finally realize the difference and said AHHHH thats better! but with TRS, I would average get hangs up 30% of the times. so fk that!

Safari said:
:gpost:

I called someone through VRS for important business. To my surprised, there is a big difference between TRS and VRS. Most time I used TRS and they either hang up or repeat questions if they didn't understand what I said. Sometimes, TRS operator told me what they sound like or something like that. I started to like VRS better than TRS. :) It's less misunderstand and clearly through VRS. TRS often misunderstand or misplace the number when I dial.

My deaf lady friend often use VRS to call hearies, and that VRS operator always describe in action and gesture what hearies sound like or something. Very interesting.

Usually the text user is what slows down the conversation. I am sorry, but I can't deny that, yesterday a guy was SO thrilled to hear about new technology with VRS, he had experienced TRS and HATES it SO MUCH!!! He gave me a BIG smile on VRS. He also said he really don't have time and patience for TRS calls.

cental34 said:
I didn't know you were referring to both typing ends. In that case, if you are also referring to the text user, yes, there are alot of pauses. In some cases, I wait for the caller to give the GA before I start to read just to make normal talking time.

Well, I was on the voice end of a Sorenson VRS call today, which is my first experience ever with it, and I am really impressed with it. :thumb:

Impressed? Was it much faster, more clarity and you were able to talk naturally and smoothly? That is what I have been hearing from several hearing people who had experienced both TRS and VRS, all of them were thrilled to experience VRS much more than TRS, some of them actually beg me to use VRS than TRS! That is how I realize how important VRS is!

cental34 said:
Well, I was on the voice end of a Sorenson VRS call today, which is my first experience ever with it, and I am really impressed with it. :thumb:

Back