Ip-relay on Sidekick

Whoa... this could really put those mini-TTYs out of business! I think this is neat!

VamPyroX said:
Whoa... this could really put those mini-TTYs out of business! I think this is neat!

Doesn't this only help whenever someone wants to talk to a hearing person, though? May there still be a strong need for TTY's for deaf to deaf communication?

What PDA phones really need is the ability to emulate a TTY, not needing an external plugin or be "TTY compatible."

Dennis said:
Doesn't this only help whenever someone wants to talk to a hearing person, though? May there still be a strong need for TTY's for deaf to deaf communication?

What PDA phones really need is the ability to emulate a TTY, not needing an external plugin or be "TTY compatible."
Well, phones are becoming obsolute. People depend on pagers now. It's very likely that another person will have a pager... especially a Sidekick pager. In that case, what's the point of having a TTY & TTY on both ends? Trust me... phones are becoming obsolute. I read that cell phones are starting to outnumber home phones. Also, more and more cell phones come with text messaging so the need to communicate with a deaf person is becoming less troublesome.

What's your source of information that Hard of Hearing cellular phone/pager/2-way users are starting to even come close to the number the landline users with TTY's?

Hearing people now have fewer reasons to actually have a landline, this is true; with wireless number portability, the increase in cell phone towers and access areas in the world, and plans that allow free mobile-to-mobile calls are excellent reasons to get rid of that pesky wall phone.

Deaf to hearing service (and vice versa) is getting better and better, with relay services being able to be accessed without TTY's or Instant Messenger. Indeed, it is great to be a hearing person with deaf friends now!

I contend that the 28 million hard of hearing people in the U.S. (http://www.goamerica.com/company_info/) still cannot fully benefit from a cell phone. Text messaging has only recently become "popular" and instant messaging is not available on most phones in all areas of the U.S.

If I can ever find Wyndtell's subscriber numbers (2 years ago they had 100,000 subscribers) then we can have a better idea just how many people really believe "the phone is obsolete." and what the real chances are of your friends having a pager of any sort.

Is this instant TTY like what you get on Java TTY?

Also is Sidekick a pager that can receive pages?

I would be using it exclusively for calling hearing people. Thanks.

Dennis said:
What's your source of information that Hard of Hearing cellular phone/pager/2-way users are starting to even come close to the number the landline users with TTY's?

Hearing people now have fewer reasons to actually have a landline, this is true; with wireless number portability, the increase in cell phone towers and access areas in the world, and plans that allow free mobile-to-mobile calls are excellent reasons to get rid of that pesky wall phone.

Deaf to hearing service (and vice versa) is getting better and better, with relay services being able to be accessed without TTY's or Instant Messenger. Indeed, it is great to be a hearing person with deaf friends now!

I contend that the 28 million hard of hearing people in the U.S. (http://www.goamerica.com/company_info/) still cannot fully benefit from a cell phone. Text messaging has only recently become "popular" and instant messaging is not available on most phones in all areas of the U.S.

If I can ever find Wyndtell's subscriber numbers (2 years ago they had 100,000 subscribers) then we can have a better idea just how many people really believe "the phone is obsolete." and what the real chances are of your friends having a pager of any sort.

actually- vampyro is right.. even the government is encouraging people to use SMS beacuse its more merely convient and does not take up the airwaves or something related to that-

in a case of terrorist attack, when the communication lines are cut the pirority would go to the government officals using the cell phone waves and the civvies can use the SMS to communicate with one other....

well cell phones can inference the techology.. in hosiptals it inference the monitor system.. and other high tech in hosiptals, airport, security system..

that's the reason hosiptal banned cell phone inside the building cuz the air waves interference the heart monitor systems and other high techs.

and.. saddly but true.. some people have this techology.. is capture the other person's cell phone air waves and listen to their conservation.. and be nosy what they're talking about..

cricket- i agree with you about the terriost issue.. but one problem.. in case the satelite system crashed or exploded.. then people can't use cell phone at all.. till they fix the satelite system or orbiter in space..

this had happened last year.. ten of thousand people can't use cellphone for serveral days..
also could u explain to me what's SMS?

DeafSCUBA98 said:
well cell phones can inference the techology.. in hosiptals it inference the monitor system.. and other high tech in hosiptals, airport, security system..

that's the reason hosiptal banned cell phone inside the building cuz the air waves interference the heart monitor systems and other high techs.

and.. saddly but true.. some people have this techology.. is capture the other person's cell phone air waves and listen to their conservation.. and be nosy what they're talking about..

cricket- i agree with you about the terriost issue.. but one problem.. in case the satelite system crashed or exploded.. then people can't use cell phone at all.. till they fix the satelite system or orbiter in space..

this had happened last year.. ten of thousand people can't use cellphone for serveral days..
also could u explain to me what's SMS?

SMS - Short Message Service: available on digital GSM networks allowing text messages of up to 160 characters to be sent and received via the network operator's message center to your mobile phone, or from the Internet, using a so-called "SMS gateway" website. If the phone is powered off or out of range, messages are stored in the network and are delivered at the next opportunity-

VamPyroX said:

hold your horse, how will we answer the incoming call on sidekick? That's biggest problem!

VamPyroX said:
Well, phones are becoming obsolute. People depend on pagers now. It's very likely that another person will have a pager... especially a Sidekick pager. In that case, what's the point of having a TTY & TTY on both ends? Trust me... phones are becoming obsolute. I read that cell phones are starting to outnumber home phones. Also, more and more cell phones come with text messaging so the need to communicate with a deaf person is becoming less troublesome.

you may be right, but there are many bad solution happen with text message. Depend which company to use. it would delay from 1 minutes to a hour or 2 hours to received from different company to different company. That's major problem. :roll:

Cricket said:
SMS - Short Message Service: available on digital GSM networks allowing text messages of up to 160 characters to be sent and received via the network operator's message center to your mobile phone, or from the Internet, using a so-called "SMS gateway" website. If the phone is powered off or out of range, messages are stored in the network and are delivered at the next opportunity-

Actually, SMS stand for Short Message Sent.

rushabh said:
Is this instant TTY like what you get on Java TTY?

Also is Sidekick a pager that can receive pages?

I would be using it exclusively for calling hearing people. Thanks.

It not a JAVA or anything. Its Sidekick type of format software. It will download from wireless that provided for sidekick. You will need to see for yourself but they are not ready. I hope its coming out soon.

Guy, do you agree that provide free long distance and etc? I disagree because it need to made profit to able improve for tty communicate on that sidekick or anything that be worked.

illustrator said:
AT&T, http://mobile.yahoo.com and Cingular said SMS stand for Short Message Sent.

Take a look by yourself.

http://sms.mobile.yahoo.com/sms/sendsms.php?mcb=

What is SMS?
SMS stands for short message service, a convenient way to send brief text messages directly to a friend's wireless telephone. A SMS message has a maximum length of 140 characters, or about 20 words. SMS is a convenient way to keep in touch with friends and family!

mmmm and i dont think its Short message SENT...

I think it COULD be short message SYSTEM

Last edited:
Cricket said:

What is SMS?
SMS stands for short message service, a convenient way to send brief text messages directly to a friend's wireless telephone. A SMS message has a maximum length of 140 characters, or about 20 words. SMS is a convenient way to keep in touch with friends and family!

:eek: I am dead meat.

Ip-relay Is Not Available For Sidekick!!!

After a few emails back and forth with TMobile, I was just informed that IP-RELAY is not yet supported for Sidekick, that it is still in the "development stages" and that it has not yet been released.

BUMMER! Any other relay services that we can use with Sidekick?

John

Cricket said:

What is SMS?

actually its 160 characters.

Back