Iowa, USA

Kia Ora khar59,

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

I am a Kiwi too, currently living in Australia and originally from New Zealand.

Kia Ora khar59,

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

I am a Kiwi too, currently living in Australia and originally from New Zealand.

Kia Ora to you SG!

It's a small world and us Kiwi's are all over it!

Welcome to AllDeaf. This is a good home while at home or work kind of place.

Actually I'm not worried about watching HDMI television, just about the fact that I do get captioning. So, if I don't use an HDMI cable and just a normal one I should be able to get the normal captioning or did you say that they are not making HDMI televsions with inbuilt decoders anymore?

Does anyone know what TV's have the decoders specifically?

tv still have build in decoders, but the High Definition settop box tend to take the responsibility of closed captioning off of the tv decoder. I am not exactly sure how it works, but I can only turn the closed captioning on and off from my set top box and not my tv.

If your cable company provided you a High Definition set top, and you set your wiring just for high definition channels, yeah, you will have some problem with close captioning.

But standard settop (for people who are not using any HD wiring, and is using standard wiring), the closed captioning is in the TV.

Well, that's what I had to deal with. I had standard satellite and I recently switched to cable and they offered free HD ... and since I already have a old HD tv (but a big bunky tv, not the plasma or LCD) , I decided to take a advantage of it and used the HD channels. This is what I experienced. btw, I had to use the HD wiring, and not the HDMI USB port thingy because it couldn't work.

My old satellite (DISH network) with standard channels and DVR/settop (the HD channels were not free so we didn't sign up for it) left the closed captioning responsibilities to our TV. They didn't control the close captioning at all.

Maybe some HD setbox do allow standard input/output wiring.. if they do, it probably will work for you.

Ish from Iowa too!

Welcome to AD. :wave:

Recently came here myself, but I love the site!!!:D

Anywho, hope you have a great time checking AllDeaf out!

Back