Iowa, USA

khar59

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was looking into closed captioning issues with HDMI. Just recently read a customer review on BestBuy about lack of CC in the tv she bought. As we are about to buy our first LCD television set I thought I had better find out more info.

I am HOH and wore hearing aids for a little while at school. However it was not a pleasant experience. I had speech therapy when they first discovered my hearing loss at age 4 and it got me up to speed. I never actually wore hearing aids until I began working after my kids all started school. I found my hearing had deteriorated alot since school.

My deafness is familial and it is a nerve deafness that degenerates as we get older. My mother, sister and myself are HOH whilst my brother is not. This trait is interspersed throughout the extended family in various ways. We think it is a recessive gene, but have never had it proven. Whilst I am moderately severe now, this will pogress as I get older as it has with my mother who is now classified with zero decibel hearing. Once she puts hearing aids in she is able to hear at 30 percent. Amazing! These new digital hearing aids are a god send.

I am originally from New Zealand and emigrated to the USA 10 years ago.

Anyhow that's me, sort of!

Hi I am from Iowa too. I have a modern TV but never found and issue with CC>

Maybe someone more technical will come along and tell you what you want to know.

Hi I am from Iowa too. I have a modern TV but never found and issue with CC>

Maybe someone more technical will come along and tell you what you want to know.

Hi there fellow Iowan!

That's just the prob. These techies get too technical for me and I get lost in the information.

I read your other comment on Iowa and no captioning for adlibbing on the news and the weather. That frustrates me no end that they don't caption the weather.

Hi there fellow Iowan!

That's just the prob. These techies get too technical for me and I get lost in the information.

I read your other comment on Iowa and no captioning for adlibbing on the news and the weather. That frustrates me no end that they don't caption the weather.

Well we share a common pet peeve. At least the map goes up and the numbers for the week are up for a second or two.

I always check the weather online.

But about your other problem, do you mean you go to "menu" with your remote and you can't get the captions to come on?

Iowa here too! I know where Botts is from in Iowa but not sure where you are from. I know here in the Cedar Rapids area KCRG CC everything! Its so great! I wish other stations would follow suit. Welcome to AD! :wave:

Well we share a common pet peeve. At least the map goes up and the numbers for the week are up for a second or two.

I always check the weather online.

But about your other problem, do you mean you go to "menu" with your remote and you can't get the captions to come on?

No I don't have an LCD tv yet so not having any probs. Looking at buying one though and have read about issues with captioning and HDMI tv cables etc. I think from what I've read that cable stations seem to provide you with the captioning anyway.

We get captions from our analog TV as well as our Digital Tuner, so that's well covered.

Iowa here too! I know where Botts is from in Iowa but not sure where you are from. I know here in the Cedar Rapids area KCRG CC everything! Its so great! I wish other stations would follow suit. Welcome to AD! :wave:

Hi and thanks for the welcome

I live in Des Moines.

No I don't have an LCD tv yet so not having any probs. Looking at buying one though and have read about issues with captioning and HDMI tv cables etc. I think from what I've read that cable stations seem to provide you with the captioning anyway.

We get captions from our analog TV as well as our Digital Tuner, so that's well covered.

My advice is to stick to over-the-air antenna for HD broadcasting. The picture quality is better than what you get on cable and satellite, and the captioning works just fine, much better compared to a lot of cable/sat providers. Plus it's free. FREEEEEEE. Can't get any better than that.

Besides, do people really need HBO, CNN and all of the other useless channels for $100+ a month?

My advice is to stick to over-the-air antenna for HD broadcasting. The picture quality is better than what you get on cable and satellite, and the captioning works just fine, much better compared to a lot of cable/sat providers. Plus it's free. FREEEEEEE. Can't get any better than that.

Besides, do people really need HBO, CNN and all of the other useless channels for $100+ a month?

HI Banjo

It was your post I read on another site that got me looking into this issue. As it is we don't have any kind of cable tv, we just watch local channels and I am very happy with that. The only channel I'd really like is HGTV, lol.

I am also lucky in that I have my own personal loop system hooked to the Tv and this has helped tremendously. However, life without good captioning would be horrific as there are times that I still need to use them. I remember when we did have cable there were many programs without captioning anyway.

Welcome aboard to AllDeaf!! I used to live in Iowa for 2 years before. And, now I live in Florida. Heh heh :P

as far as HDMI, it all depends on your settop (the box that have all the cable/satellite channels) provided by your local cable or satellite company. They do provide captioning, but I found them annoying because it is not set just right for my TV (some can be too large, too small, etc..) and more annoyed that i have to keep adjusting til it look right. I wish HDMI put the cc responsibility back to TV instead of settop because tv get it right everytime. But I guess technologies is more complicated than we realize.

other than that, antenna is the best way to go.

btw, this is only if you want to watch high definition channels. Standard channels with regular cable wires (not the HDMI wiring) don't really have a problem with closed captioning.

as far as HDMI, it all depends on your settop (the box that have all the cable/satellite channels) provided by your local cable or satellite company. They do provide captioning, but I found them annoying because it is not set just right for my TV (some can be too large, too small, etc..) and more annoyed that i have to keep adjusting til it look right. I wish HDMI put the cc responsibility back to TV instead of settop because tv get it right everytime. But I guess technologies is more complicated than we realize.

other than that, antenna is the best way to go.

btw, this is only if you want to watch high definition channels. Standard channels with regular cable wires (not the HDMI wiring) don't really have a problem with closed captioning.

Actually I'm not worried about watching HDMI television, just about the fact that I do get captioning. So, if I don't use an HDMI cable and just a normal one I should be able to get the normal captioning or did you say that they are not making HDMI televsions with inbuilt decoders anymore?

Does anyone know what TV's have the decoders specifically?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Back