Intruding on Deaf Space?

I am sure that you are an interesting person to talk with but it depends how well you sign. If you sign too slow, they may have no patience to wait for you to finish your conversation. Know what I mean? Since you are in ASL 2 now, it should be no problem if you sign in a normal pace. Oh well, today is Saturday so did you go? If so, did you have fun with them?

I am sure that you are an interesting person to talk with but it depends how well you sign. If you sign too slow, they may have no patience to wait for you to finish your conversation. Know what I mean? Since you are in ASL 2 now, it should be no problem if you sign in a normal pace. Oh well, today is Saturday so did you go? If so, did you have fun with them?

I did go, and just posted a follow-up thread! Everyone was very nice other than the hearing people. When I sign to someone I get really nervous and forget everything, I was a bit quiet this time. Hopefully next month I'll get the courage to chat more! It was a lot of fun, though.

I did go, and just posted a follow-up thread! Everyone was very nice other than the hearing people. When I sign to someone I get really nervous and forget everything, I was a bit quiet this time. Hopefully next month I'll get the courage to chat more! It was a lot of fun, though.

Everyone except the hearing people were nice to you?

The hearing people there were being rude to the D/deaf people. The D/deaf mostly focused on their friends, but 2 guys included me in the chat which was a nice surprise.

You will find that everywhere (the bolded), including here. I attribute it to lack of understanding and empathy. Thoughtlessness and disrespect are other alternatives.

Then again, the hearing say that they are encountered by rude d/Deaf people as well. I guess a precedent was already set by the hearing that it's only a natural reaction from us. I'm glad you found some Deaf to include you in their chat - we are usually welcoming !!

Last edited:
Back