Intruding on Deaf Space?

breelligerent

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm hearing and learning ASL (in ASL 2 now), with the hope of being an interpreter. I had a question about Deaf events/meetups. There have been some threads touching on this topic, but I wanted some advice specific to this situation. I'd be so grateful for some opinions!

There's a Deaf gathering this Friday at a bar/billiards club in a large city near me. I really would like to go to meet new people, but I don't know if a hearing student who isn't fluent would be welcome. I feel like I'd be insulting the D/deaf who would be there by not being fluent in ASL, and like I'd be trespassing on their good time. I don't expect anyone to spend their fun Friday night out by talking with my slow ass, but I don't know if it would be rude to be there and try to interact to meet people with similar interests.

What do you all think? How would you react to someone like me coming to a Deaf event?

Go. Shoot pool, not whiskey. Sign. Make friends.

Go for it, I would love to see someone that is trying and do not worry about getting it all right, who does in any language. Think of it this way, would you go into a pool hall where they speak Gaelic and if you were just learning to speak it? Same thing, you will learn better being around people, go make a mistake who will remember in the morning:giggle:.
Drive safe and be careful.

Go for it, I would love to see someone that is trying and do not worry about getting it all right, who does in any language. Think of it this way, would you go into a pool hall where they speak Gaelic and if you were just learning to speak it? Same thing, you will learn better being around people, go make a mistake who will remember in the morning:giggle:.
Drive safe and be careful.

Haha, love your advice! Hopefully if we're having a good enough time, my slow signing won't be a problem. I just wanted to check in with people here; I didn't know if people would think "Why come here and try to butt in? There's a ton of places where hearing people can drink; leave us be to socialize with people we know." It now seems like a silly thing to worry about :lol:

:ty: for your feedback, it's very much appreciated!

Take shots of pool and whiskey. Don't put the deaf on a pedestal. Treat them as you would anyone else, but with a language difference. Act the same as you were in a bar and everyone else was russian say and you were learning. However it would be most respectful to buy a few rounds for deaf

With the Deaf chat's I go to, we have a lot of students. They are always welcome and we try to include them. I myself know very little and am trying to learn and they have been very welcoming to me.

You don't want to be intruding any dead bodies or necromorphs, it'll only mean you're going to die.

Oh wait, I almost read the topic as Dead Space.

Take shots of pool and whiskey. Don't put the deaf on a pedestal. Treat them as you would anyone else, but with a language difference. Act the same as you were in a bar and everyone else was russian say and you were learning. However it would be most respectful to buy a few rounds for deaf

I wasn't trying to put deaf on a pedestal, but me not trying to do something doesn't mean that I'm really not doing it. Thank you for pointing that out. I mostly just wanted to see if all the lovely people here would be bothered by my slow signing and being new in a situation like that. I'm trying to respect the spaces that D/deaf people have established, but I can see that the way that I'm thinking of it is not the best.

To be honest, I would feel just as awkward in a bar with Russian people! I would worry that my language skills (or lack of them) would be insulting. I need to stop overthinking things, don't I? :giggle:

Go, but have low expectations. Meet people but the conversations might not be long.. Except if the Deaf person is drunk :) When I'm drunk, I'm super chatty!

There is no ASL sign for "turbo". Use your limited ASL skill to talk about turbos. Sure one of them will not mind showing off his/her turbo engine. Don't need much ASL for that. You'll be fine :)

What is "deaf space"? As a bilateral DEAF person have I missed something since December 2006?

What is "deaf space"? As a bilateral DEAF person have I missed something since December 2006?

A place that Deaf HoH community has designated as for people who are part of the community. Because hearing people often think that every space should be accessible to them, DHH people be damned, I didn't know if a hearing person would be welcome. I've been to coffee chats and they are overrun with ASL students who gawk and don't interact.

Because the info for this pool night didn't mention ASL learners, I was asking if I would be rude to go. It seemed possible that the DHH community organized the pool night so they didn't have to deal with ASL learners and gawking assholes, and I didn't want to disrespect that. :P

You going to hurt yourself thinking this hard, go have a good time, of course do not “gawk”. Try, have you not been thrown out of a bar / pool hall before so what if it happens again. I think you will have more fun than you think.

If you want to go, then go. Like anything else in life don't let other people stop you from doing what you want to do. If someone talks to you, explain your position to them.

I surmise from the above -to enter "deaf space ruled by Deaf militants" prior approval required. No doubt-extensive discussion in ASL on " friendly deaf values".

Does the old dictum apply: with friends like that-who need enemies?

You going to hurt yourself thinking this hard, go have a good time, of course do not “gawk”. Try, have you not been thrown out of a bar / pool hall before so what if it happens again. I think you will have more fun than you think.

:laugh2: You're so right about that! Maybe a few drinks will make my brain shut up about little things and let me have fun. That's my plan. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Back