Introvert or Extrovert?

paperclip

Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this. My first preference was relationships, but this question is meant to explore how personality tendencies affect interactions with strangers, coworkers, friend and more.

I am aware of the Myers Brigg test (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which measures personality preferences but for now, I just want to keep beginning of the thread focused on introvert/extrovert preferences.

Before you answer the question, it might be helpful to familiarize yourself with this website so we have a more uniform definition of the word introvert and extrovert. If you chose to google it yourself, depending on what site you read, you might get slightly different definitions. Extraversion and introversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?

Do you feel how you act (introvert/extrovert) does not match who you feel you naturally (introvert/extrovert) would express yourself?

Do you spend significant amount of time with someone who is on a different side of the spectrum? Does this bring challenges?

Do you work in a job that requires an introvert/extrovert personality or does your job allow flexibility?

I have more specific questions later – but people may articulate my observations/thoughts more elegantly.

Yeah 'cause Wikipedia is completely factual! :lol:

That wiki entry is a summary of the real thing, unless you want to go through a whole psychology book. This is standard human psychology level knowledge. They offer meyers-briggs testing at any local psychiatry/psychology clinic, and the results use the same entries, it's based on Jung's principles.

Yeah 'cause Wikipedia is completely factual! :lol:

I understand that Wikipedia might not be the best source, but as I reviewed the Wikipedia entries, I didn't find anything glaringly wrong about the article that would significantly change the way one would respond to the questions I posted.

In a different thread, a debate got heated because of inconsistent definitions. I was trying keep a consistent definition so we are talking about the same ideas. If you find another source you feel more comfortable with, post a link for us to read!

in between

Do you feel how you act (introvert/extrovert) does not match who you feel you naturally (introvert/extrovert) would express yourself?
no. but I have changed my act just to be nice to others :)

Do you spend significant amount of time with someone who is on a different side of the spectrum? Does this bring challenges?
I spend my significant amount of time with people from all spectrum. A challenge? perhaps but I think it adds some spice to my life :)

Do you work in a job that requires an introvert/extrovert personality or does your job allow flexibility?
I don't think most jobs would like a socially-awkward person unless it's a drone job. My job involves a lot of senior staff meeting, clients, and vendors so I switch around between ass-kissing and ass-kicking depending on who I'm talking to

I have taken the Myers-Briggs test 3 times, I think. I came out I twice, and E once. All three times, I was pretty close to the central point of demarcation - within 5 points, if memory serves. It's an interesting personality inventory.

I think it was fairly accurate that I'm close to the middle on the Introvert/Extrovert dimension, but leaning slightly more towards "Introvert." I can be perfectly happy reading a book for hours, traveling on my own, going out to restaurants alone. I've never quite been able to understand people who can't or won't do things like that solo, versus not doing them at all, if that's what the choice is. So those things lead toward the "Introvert" part of the scale.

On the other hand, I enjoy parties and socializing and being with interesting people. I like meeting new people, sometimes enjoying what we have in common, sometimes enjoying the differences.

My career called on both tendencies: I had to think independently, come up with conclusions, carry out programs based on my own analysis, and I had to be good with people, meet new people all the time, listen to and understand different points of view and take those into account as necessary. Most of the time I felt my job was a good fit for me.

Is that the sort of analysis you're looking for? It's an interesting question. Some people here have mentioned becoming more introverted after having a hearing loss. I'm not sure if I've noticed much of a difference, since I was already slightly more on the Introverted scale, but I can understand how that might happen.

Depends on the situation.

Again, depends on the situation. I'm not a shy person at all and have no problems striking up a random conversation with strangers but if I were in a social setting where everyone is talking really fast and competing for attention, I do tend to be more quiet but not because I'm an introvert.

Come to think of it, all my closest friends are very gregarious and outgoing and have many friends - I don't find it challenging at all. They socialize alot and are comfortable in any social situation. People who are shy and introverted, I find it hard to do social activities with and they tend to be more insecure and needy.

I work for myself :) But it does require of me to be socially skilled and charming to attract clients.

I feel like I'm introverted when alone, and generally introverted around others. Sometimes I've had random bouts of extroversion kick in and take over when communication is at a standstill. I subconsciously believe that introversion is not appropriate in the modern world unless accepted by the other speaker (or the party communicating). I've been said to be INTJ, but I'm not too sure how well I match on exactly as there are varying degrees of introvertedness measured.

Only when situations arise that I notice it's too 'quiet', then extroversion kicks in. It seems natural for me to do this despite realizing what I'm doing.

The best relationship I can consider in my experience with an extrovert is with my old man. From childhood to teenager to adult, I've known him for a long time. He's extroverted in nearly all aspects, sometimes it becomes challenging because I want to tell him to not question or say unnecessary things. I find myself asking him at times if he feels it was okay to ask random questions to strangers that have no bearing to his life.

Yes, I see it that there are certain jobs described by the original concept formed by Jung. Extroverts make great public figures, salespeople, leaders, because they can easily articulate their thoughts without being held back. Introverts tend to work comfortably under a hierarchy, as in taking orders from a higher authority, being a counselor, project or science researcher - the focus of these jobs require to adhere to a principle that they have to work under guidelines rather than 'be their own boss'.

To date I have worked with IT, aerospace, and genetics research, but they were all under introverted aspects, someone higher up was always facilitating to me the instructions.

They are scales on the meyers-briggs test that measure your personality in four levels.
Yeah, I/E for introvert or extrovert.

If you go to the first link in paperclip's post, you'll find out more info for the rest of the letters. The testing focuses on your behavior pattern to questions and personality, then you are ranked on a combination of the four by percentile match (how strong you are to it).

For me, example
I: Introverted
N: iNtuition
T: Thinker
J: Judgement

From the section on INTJ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTJ
I – Introversion preferred to extraversion: INTJs tend to be quiet and reserved. They generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy).[8]
N – Intuition preferred to sensing: INTJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities.[9]
T – Thinking preferred to feeling: INTJs tend to value objective criteria above personal preference. When making decisions they generally give more weight to logic than to social considerations.[10]
J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.[11]

They are scales on the meyers-briggs test that measure your personality in four levels.

If you go to the first link in paperclip's post, you'll find out more info for the rest of the letters. The testing focuses on your behavior pattern to questions and personality, then you are ranked on a combination of the four by percentile match (how strong you are to it).

For me, example

From the section on INTJ: INTJ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If memory serves, I think I flipped back and forth on the J and P scales too, or at least was pretty close to the center line for them. The "N" and "T" remained quite constant.

I took a varied of tests and most of them are very similiar over 5 times. But It did not fit me with my job. :lol: I forget what I have because I didn't really pay attention to it. I think I once told naisho what I have before. But i forget. if anyone put a test line on here. I will be happy to take a test again

For me, example

From the section on INTJ: INTJ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

where is S and F? i forget.. i m lazy and naisho is my secretary for this one. LOL

I am not sure where to post this. My first preference was relationships, but this question is meant to explore how personality tendencies affect interactions with strangers, coworkers, friend and more.

I am aware of the Myers Brigg test (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which measures personality preferences but for now, I just want to keep beginning of the thread focused on introvert/extrovert preferences.

Before you answer the question, it might be helpful to familiarize yourself with this website so we have a more uniform definition of the word introvert and extrovert. If you chose to google it yourself, depending on what site you read, you might get slightly different definitions. Extraversion and introversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have more specific questions later – but people may articulate my observations/thoughts more elegantly.

I am probably more of an introverted extrovert if that makes sense. I tend to hide myself until I get really comfortable in my surroundings. Once I get comfortable, I don't mind being more out there.

Sometimes it's a complete mismatch. Like, I'll be performing something when really I would just rather sit back and blend in a bit more. I feel like I am an anomaly most of the time.

I don't spend time with certain type but I do feel a bit intimidated by those who are very extroverted and seem to have this aura of extreme self-confidence. Almost like I'm just a fence post compared to said person.

I'm an introvert right up until I get flogged by a rooster then I become an extrovert!!
:lol:

Back