Introducing Myself

Thanks :) i'll try that. Do you know anyone i could practice with or should i try studying on my own first and then try and find someone? I have a friend whos in college studying to become an interpreter but hes like half a world away and doesnt have time to teach me.

1.) Sure:)

2.) Not personally, but you could check out http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/75678-students-looking-asl-buddies.html - I'd start at the end of the thread for recent entries.

3.) Depends on who you find. If you find someone right at your level, no reason to wait. If you're mainly finding people far enough ahead that you feel awkward, maybe hit a few of the lifeprint lessons first. "ASL Lesson 1" American Sign Language (ASL)

4.) Again, if you're working with another beginner or near beginner and teaching yourself online, be sure to arrange a meeting (online if you can't find anyone local) once in a while with someone who really knows ASL. Spend some cash, get some feedback, it's more than worth it.

Hi,

I Am Not Deaf Or Hoh. I Just Have A Interest In Learning ASL. I Am Wanting To Go To College And Become A Special Education Teacher And Have A Minor In Sign Language.

Why not become a Deaf Ed teacher? Special ed really doesn't have a lot to do with teaching Dhh kids.......most of a sped teacher's training has to do with teaching learning disabled,mentally disabled and behaviorally disordered kids...Very little of it has to do with teaching low incidence but still high functioning (ie kids who may need a few little tweaks to their education to acheive on the level of a hearing kid)

Definitely don't see any issue signing with no use of a pinky on one hand. If you've ever seen a super drunk person sign.... I think most Deafies could understand you with one pinky not right. Honestly, most of us ( when eating or other hand is occupied ) End up signing 2 hand sign words with one hand. :P

Wirelessly posted

Haha. Yeah. except i have two fingers that don't work. i've been told that i can use my left injured hand as my non dominent hand

Wirelessly posted

Haha. Yeah. except i have two fingers that don't work. i've been told that i can use my left injured hand as my non dominent hand

Exactly. If you're right handed anyways, you'd want to use your right hand as your dominate by default. Spelling ect right handed. Having a left hand issue definitely wouldn't stop you from signing. Worst comes to worst you'd have to explain you had an issue with said hand and I don't even think most experienced ASL users would question it. :P

Lol. Ive been told i should become a deaf ed teacher instead of a special education teacher because special ed teachers dont use asl very much if at all. But i was told by my teacher that asl teachers are rare and needed in special ed.

Just seems to me that it will be so complicated. Learning from books sucks because when i ask someone who speaks fluently, they say i did it wrong. Gonna try skyping with anyone who will help or atleast give me some pointers.

Go to ASLpro.com. They show the motions and you can just replay. Not all of ASL of course, but a good chunk of words and what not. Very helpful to everyone I have seen use it that is. :P

Go to ASLpro.com. They show the motions and you can just replay. Not all of ASL of course, but a good chunk of words and what not. Very helpful to everyone I have seen use it that is. :P

Thanks!! Been On The Site For Two Hours :P

SigningSavvy.com is another one. I use that site sometimes, the videos are really helpful. Although, I must say some signs get old and change overtime.... which is why we recommend a class. But if you feel that you're not ready, look further at more websites like these. :yesway:

Thanks!! Been On The Site For Two Hours :P

It's a really bad idea, as a beginner, to study isolated vocabulary words. Unless you're massively skilled at putting your brain on hold and telling yourself "I know these words but I do *not* know how to use them, I do *not* know how to put them together to make sentences." Otherwise you're going to seem like a schizophrenic if you start signing with anyone who actually uses ASL.

That's why I recommended lifeprint - it's not perfect but their videos show you how to use signs in context.

(None of this replaces a class, of course, but if you're adamant that you want to do something other than a class, I would not rely on dictionaries. Besides signing in word salad, you'll make scads of embarrassing word choice mistakes. Really.)

It's a really bad idea, as a beginner, to study isolated vocabulary words. Unless you're massively skilled at putting your brain on hold and telling yourself "I know these words but I do *not* know how to use them, I do *not* know how to put them together to make sentences." Otherwise you're going to seem like a schizophrenic if you start signing with anyone who actually uses ASL.

That's why I recommended lifeprint - it's not perfect but their videos show you how to use signs in context.

(None of this replaces a class, of course, but if you're adamant that you want to do something other than a class, I would not rely on dictionaries. Besides signing in word salad, you'll make scads of embarrassing word choice mistakes. Really.)

Thanks. Ill try that.

Found out there is a class nearby that i can take. Gonna enroll as soon as i can. Thank you.

Been skyping with some people to learn more ASL, since the classes haven't started yet.

Back