internal device like a CI

Really?!? Its not bad for it? I want to go boarding this year but afraid to go in silence...

No, you should be just fine. It never occurred to me to not wear mine, so I always have.

The helms I use dont even touch my ear. But then again the covers and such does...

Maybe the issue is unique to CIs: the coil is up on the skull, not near the ear. And that's what gets shoved around by the helmet. I know several older kids who've gotten specially made helmets, but they cost hundreds of dollars and the little one's growing every year.

Maybe the issue is unique to CIs: the coil is up on the skull, not near the ear. And that's what gets shoved around by the helmet. I know several older kids who've gotten specially made helmets, but they cost hundreds of dollars and the little one's growing every year.

cut or shave some foam out at the coil area

cut or shave some foam out at the coil area

:shock: Yup, we probably need to start biting the bullet and buying our own helmets rather than renting them for the day or week. Actually, I was sort of overthinking the whole thing -- a few good snips here and there, and that should do it. Thanks PFH!

:shock: Yup, we probably need to start biting the bullet and buying our own helmets rather than renting them for the day or week. Actually, I was sort of overthinking the whole thing -- a few good snips here and there, and that should do it. Thanks PFH!

No problem. You should be able to find some great deals around labor day/day after christmas. That's where I do my shopping.

Much less chance of catching lice too.

:Ohno: Have you seen her hair? It's down below her bum -- this would be a nightmare.

So is mine - I can only imagine !! eeekkkkk!

BTW - An option for the helmet is: Have her wear a lightweight, breathable "skull cap" under the helmet (to hold the magnet in place) and then carve out just enough of the helmet so the CI isn't touching that foam and has about an .5 to .75 inch diameter of "play" to allow for movement.

Once she outgrows the helmet - contact your CI audie/ CI Circle etc and see who might want to buy a the CI-retrofitted helmet off you (to help cover the cost of the next one!)

:Ohno: Have you seen her hair? It's down below her bum -- this would be a nightmare.

I just love spreading cheer!:P

But we always have warning on the news here about no sharing headgear , combs, etc. Schoolkids do get this and I assume the rental helmets could do it too.

Do your helmets move your HAs around or are they specially made?
They don't move around, BUT the ear bit creates even more of a loss...I can still hear a bit though.
Grendel, did you know there's an adaptive skiing program at Wachusetts? Also I think at a bunch of the other NH resorts too.
think if you've worn (or wanted to wear) an HA or CI while playing sports, skiiing, or swimming, in bed, in the shower, you might see some application for something internal.
So you can't hear when doing some activities? So? That is exactly why we advocate for a full toolbox, so that when there are times when "hearing" is off, you can FUNCTION well!

They don't move around, BUT the ear bit creates even more of a loss...I can still hear a bit though.
Grendel, did you know there's an adaptive skiing program at Wachusetts? Also I think at a bunch of the other NH resorts too.
So you can't hear when doing some activities? So? That is exactly why we advocate for a full toolbox, so that when there are times when "hearing" is off, you can FUNCTION well!

DD -- I've heard great things about that Wachusetts program, have you ever tried it! I intend to check it out. We're locked in a bit by location of ski-house for most of our opps, unfortunately.

But, we've tried without the CIs last year, and Li really didn't like it -- she wasn't comfortable skiiing and signing, and the gloves masked any attempts -- I ended up skiing backwards amd without gloves to communicate -- and that hurt (both hands and bottom when I tumbled) and made for some near frostbitten fingers. And it was difficult to do what we like to do, which is ski together, with her between my legs.

DD -- I've heard great things about that Wachusetts program, have you ever tried it!
Yes actually. I did it through The Genesis Foundation, which provides therapy oppertunties to kids with disablites who have birth defects in MA. Did it in high school and my dad even taught in it.......I can't remember the other mountains where they have adaptive skiing.....but Loon and Sunapee do! Sunapee has adaptive ski racing for teens and young adults with disablties....I'll have to look it up and report. Too bad my dad's knee gave out...I would love to meet you for a ski date at Wachusetts one of these days!

Yes actually. I did it through The Genesis Foundation, which provides therapy oppertunties to kids with disablites who have birth defects in MA. Did it in high school and my dad even taught in it.......I can't remember the other mountains where they have adaptive skiing.....but Loon and Sunapee do! Sunapee has adaptive ski racing for teens and young adults with disablties....I'll have to look it up and report. Too bad my dad's knee gave out...I would love to meet you for a ski date at Wachusetts one of these days!

Sunapee is where we ski and where Li's been taking lessons! I looked into their adaptive program, but was told it was designed primarily for locomotive issues and that for Li's needs we could probably do well with 1 on 1 lessons with a standard instructor instead. Unfortunatey, a couple of the instructors we've had tend to ski behind her and call out instructions; not the best plan when her CIs decide to migrate around her head :). I'll check again -- I might have been missing out on a cool program for her. Her best friend skis elsewhere and has a deaf instructor who apparently is fantastic -- I'll find out where that is -- someplace in Vermont.

I'd love to meet you live one of these days, and skiing would be so much fun.

Sunapee is where we ski and where Li's been taking lessons! I looked into their adaptive program, but was told it was designed primarily for locomotive issues and that for Li's needs we could probably do well with 1 on 1 lessons with a standard instructor instead. Unfortunatey, a couple of the instructors we've had tend to ski behind her and call out instructions; not the best plan when her CIs decide to migrate around her head :). I'll check again -- I might have been missing out on a cool program for her. Her best friend skis elsewhere and has a deaf instructor who apparently is fantastic -- I'll find out where that is -- someplace in Vermont.

I'd love to meet you live one of these days, and skiing would be so much fun.

Grendel,

If you can, look into the Adaptive Sports program run out of Windham Mountain, in the NY Catskills. Obviously, more than a few years ago but it is where our daughter learned to ski. They were just great and the prices were fantastic, even today its $55 for a full day lift ticket with a half day of one-on-one instruction (and you get to cut the lift lines!). We always went with another family so the girls would take their lessons together.

never really had any issues with the helmet but she also uses a strong magnet and that plus the long hair may have been why,

Happy trails,
Rick

Back