internal device like a CI

blank canvas

Reaction score
Ok so I was talking to a friend of mine today about my audi results and hearing loss maxing out Ha's... She mentioned that if her CI's stop working that there was a new procedure that is all internal there is not external part like with CI..? Has anybody heard of this or know the name?

And no I am not interested in getting one or CI, this is not meant to be a CI debate just curious as I have never heard of anything like this

But what is it? bio-mechanical ear or something lol

like an CI but all internal. You get to hear 24/7. I read something about it, but quickly stopped. I Have no interest for that stuff. Be my guest if you want to do swimming and hearing at the same time.

like an CI but all internal. You get to hear 24/7. I read something about it, but quickly stopped. I Have no interest for that stuff. Be my guest if you want to do swimming and hearing at the same time.

No Im not too big on unnecessary scalpels near my brain, or anywhere for that matter... Just have never heard of it so was curious. Personally I'm not for any surgery option I'm fine with my Ha's... But in my mind I am picturing some odd bio-mechanical ear like device it's enough to cause nightmares damn my picture book mind.

:lol: I think a certain poster might like the swimming part !! After all, he has to practice it! :lol:

PFH, it's not coachlear that's making it. It's another company....and I think it's for hoh people who don't get a lot of use out of traditional hearing aids.
Also, I think a lot of it is hype about a New Product. The implant has been around for a few years. Also, it's a question of how many insurances will cover it. There will be some insurances that cover it yes.....but prolly only the premienum insurances....we are still struggling with VERY high healthcare costs across the board.

I think the device is called the Esteem and it was just recently approved by the FDA. I believe it is those whose hearing loss is more in the HOH range and with better speech discrimination than CI candidates. Deafdyke you are correct insurance companies are not paying for it yet.

Cochlear has tried a totally implantable CI but it is not ready for prime time yet.

the thing is called TICI - Totally Implantable CI..

Several companies tried it. The problem is most of the research online is from '01-06.

Too cumbersome, requires large surgery, more invasive, battery needs to be replaced every now and then..

Is it different from the brain stem implant?

oh totally.

Brain stem is like ci but you plug it into the stem itself.

The bone HA can be anchored to the bone, or just on the bone behind the ear.
The bone vibrates your cochleas.. heres a good pic.
soundwavesbaha.jpg

It canbe just on the bone, or anchored to it. The anchor is nothing more than a body modification. Can one put a spike in it, i dont know. :)

oh damnn my bad

i was thinking you were talking about the baha..

CI and fully implanted CI same thing but no device outside.

Brain stem implant is a different animal -- ci goes to the cochlear, and brain stem goes to the nerves.

geez forum jumping isnt good at times :)

Isnt that the baha they have been trying to push that with my daughter

BAHA is bone anchored hearing aid - it's for conductive or mixed hearing loss or for those who are SSD.

What kind of hearing loss (type, amount etc) does your daughter have ?

BAHA is not like CI at all ... it's basically a HA that uses the skull to transmit vibrations from the HA to the ear

My daughter has severe to profound + microtia/atretia but no not considering any surgeries for her she has a bc aid within reach if she chooses to wear it...

was just wondering what the internal thing was out of curiosity is all

the baha doesn't have to be bone anchored...most children wear the softband type it's the same concept but w/o surgery

Yes her bc is similar but she prefers the look of the oticon bc aid over the baha soft band

My daughter has severe to profound + microtia/atretia but no not considering any surgeries for her she has a bc aid within reach if she chooses to wear it...
Hey I have atresia but no microtia! I'm in BTEs....a lot of people with my syndrome have opted for BAHA.....I tested it out, but I like my BTEs!

Back