Interested about Gallaudet

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I have visited Gallaudet 8 years ago when I was 11 years old. I am from Australia... I was in D.C for winter holidays, since I visited the campus, I couldn't stop admiring the campus, and still - today... I am still interested in attending studies at G.U. but the problem is I am from Australia and I am 20 years old now - the question is I am searching....Is there a GOOD scholarship or whatever that could help me achieve my dream to go to the states to study?

I know, it is quite expenisve for a international student.

Do you have any opinions/suggestions/ideas?

do you know many deaf people succeed in life didn't go to Gallaudet?

Look at Marlee Matlin, no Gallaudet curse....

do you know many deaf people succeed in life didn't go to Gallaudet?

Look at Marlee Matlin, no Gallaudet curse....

Deafilmedia... I don't care about your comment, I am a young smart gentleman from Australia.. and I would like to experience my own at G.U ....thank you very much.

I am not sure...I haven't been back to Gally since early 90's when i visited. Never been a student there. Soooo I got no idea. Maybe you can go on their website? And E-mail them for more questions? That'll might help you.

Good luck though!

I am sure other ADers might willing help you with some information that you are looking for.

Since I have visited Gallaudet 8 years ago when I was 11 years old. I am from Australia... I was in D.C for winter holidays, since I visited the campus, I couldn't stop admiring the campus, and still - today... I am still interested in attending studies at G.U. but the problem is I am from Australia and I am 20 years old now - the question is I am searching....Is there a GOOD scholarship or whatever that could help me achieve my dream to go to the states to study?

I know, it is quite expenisve for a international student.

Do you have any opinions/suggestions/ideas?

That's not very nice to say that. He is far from us and needed our help. *RME* at you!

Thank you, LakeTahoe. Lets get this topic back on track, as I am still interested!! I love the way ASL works between my language, but I am lucky enough to know some very well at the least, gets me in conversation. But for my real aim, to get a diploma or whatever from G.U, make new friends, learn their culture and the best thing I would ever want to return back to Australia as a role model!

I am not sure...I haven't been back to Gally since early 90's when i visited. Never been a student there. Soooo I got no idea. Maybe you can go on their website? And E-mail them for more questions? That'll might help you.

Good luck though!

I am sure other ADers might willing help you with some information that you are looking for.

Thank you LakeTahoe, once again. Didn't see that you posted again. I did email in contact with them, few eyars ago and I have also received information sheets and registeration but I was not ready to do it, but the problem is I need to find some fincinal aid to support me and get me there to study but the fees are very expensive, the main thing is that I am willing to find a scholarship who can get me there for a year or two. I hoope, someone from ADer's would be willing to help me :D

I visited Gallaudet for the first time on Thursday. The staff is very friendly and they said that I will pick up more ASL (I am more English). My friend showed me ASL classes and the gym is fully accessible.
I am still thinking about it.

Hello jclarke

There is two popular colleges for the deaf. Gallaudet (Washington DC) and RIT-NTID (Rochester, NY). From what I understand that was back in 70's (yes I'm old, haha), Gallaudet has liberal art majors while RIT-NTID has technical majors. But I remember RIT-NTID do have social work major so that would be liberal art major. Of course, time have changed in last 30 years or so. I have both colleges link and perhaps you can check it out and also depend what major would you be interesting in.

Gallaudet University

RIT - National Technical Institute for the Deaf

In meantime, about the scholarship, usually you get that from high school when you can prove you get very good grades or something like that. Hmmm ... sorry I never got that myself. How's about Vocational Rehabilitation you could get help from in your area?

Good Luck, jclarke!

Hello jclarke

There is two popular colleges for the deaf. Gallaudet (Washington DC) and RIT-NTID (Rochester, NY). From what I understand that was back in 70's (yes I'm old, haha), Gallaudet has liberal art majors while RIT-NTID has technical majors. But I remember RIT-NTID do have social work major so that would be liberal art major. Of course, time have changed in last 30 years or so. I have both colleges link and perhaps you can check it out and also depend what major would you be interesting in.

Gallaudet University

RIT - National Technical Institute for the Deaf

In meantime, about the scholarship, usually you get that from high school when you can prove you get very good grades or something like that. Hmmm ... sorry I never got that myself. How's about Vocational Rehabilitation you could get help from in your area?

Good Luck, jclarke!

Sunshine1, thank you for these excellent information you have just provided, I am really tempted.. but G.U is an excellent University too... but RIT when I just visited the site, seems really nice too but in N.Y? I have a family friend who lives in D.C.

About the scholarship you just mentioend about high school grades etc - really, I graduated from grade 12 in Australia two years ago. I am currently working for the government at the moment, but still I would love to go to the States and experience for a year or two, plus I am unsure what major course I'd like to study, as there is so many varies of courses I would like to study but mainly deaf studies woould be very impressive, but I also, needed to undertake ASL classes, to improve my ASL, I only commuinicate in AUSLAN (Australia Sign Language) and I teach my students to learn AUSLAN too. But ASL and their culture has pulled my interest and the G.U too.

But, is there any scholarship that could offer for international Students, like myself?

Once again, thanks Sunshine1

Hey,
Try this link out and see if it works for you. Apparently the university has limited funding for international students. I'm here now from NY (RIT is very good) for the summer ASL courses and LOVING it! I was nervous to come but I'm so glad I did!
http://financialaid.gallaudet.edu/pdf/06-07/international06-07.pdf

Thank you, OpheliaSpeaks...I know that the Univeristy have limited funding, but I am researching and trying to find if there is some thing I could try and apply but currently I am working full time and it is a bit difficult about when I would go, I try perhaps, in 2008 or 2009, for a semester or a year, depends on the costs. But OpheliaSpeaks, how does that information, you just sent to me with the URL link, how does that information work, what would happen if that appliction has been applied, what would I get? Just want to make sure. I'd love to get some support from you all guys. :)

Financial Aid is what jclarke may need. However that link shown for the year 2006-2007. Perhaps it can be changed to 2007-2008 ? :dunno2: I tried to change 07-08 on that link and it doesn't work. hmmmm

Hey,
Try this link out and see if it works for you. Apparently the university has limited funding for international students. I'm here now from NY (RIT is very good) for the summer ASL courses and LOVING it! I was nervous to come but I'm so glad I did!
http://financialaid.gallaudet.edu/pdf/06-07/international06-07.pdf

jclarke .. as you mentioned you are working for government. How about asking them for help to pay for your tuition and fees? I used to work for government agency and they paid me for night courses relating to my position after my college report card shown my good grades.

Sunshine1, thank you for these excellent information you have just provided, I am really tempted.. but G.U is an excellent University too... but RIT when I just visited the site, seems really nice too but in N.Y? I have a family friend who lives in D.C.

About the scholarship you just mentioend about high school grades etc - really, I graduated from grade 12 in Australia two years ago. I am currently working for the government at the moment, but still I would love to go to the States and experience for a year or two, plus I am unsure what major course I'd like to study, as there is so many varies of courses I would like to study but mainly deaf studies woould be very impressive, but I also, needed to undertake ASL classes, to improve my ASL, I only commuinicate in AUSLAN (Australia Sign Language) and I teach my students to learn AUSLAN too. But ASL and their culture has pulled my interest and the G.U too.

But, is there any scholarship that could offer for international Students, like myself?

Once again, thanks Sunshine1

Financial Aid is what jclarke may need. However that link shown for the year 2006-2007. Perhaps it can be changed to 2007-2008 ? :dunno2: I tried to change 07-08 on that link and it doesn't work. hmmmm

Sunshine1's correct - but not for 2007 - 2008 perhaps, 2008 - 2009 or 2009 -2010 depends on me, but a lot of information and research would be excellent to help. :D

jclarke .. as you mentioned you are working for government. How about asking them for help to pay for your tuition and fees? I used to work for government agency and they paid me for night courses relating to my position after my college report card shown my good grades.

Yes, sunshine1 - I do, but I am currently not employed under them, they are my HOST agency, I am an apprentice for two years though. But maybe I could ask.

What is wrong with Australia?
USA is just a land.
And Gallaudet is just a school in the middle of a Black Neighborhood.
Crimes and big rats as big as cats in Washington DC...
I walked down the street, trying to go to a drugstore... and I was
wearing a FBI hat. And I saw this Drug Dealer got out of his BMW...
I ran so fast... I never been so scare in my life.

What is wrong with Australia?
USA is just a land.
And Gallaudet is just a school in the middle of a Black Neighborhood.
Crimes and big rats as big as cats in Washington DC...
I walked down the street, trying to go to a drugstore... and I was
wearing a FBI hat. And I saw this Drug Dealer got out of his BMW...
I ran so fast... I never been so scare in my life.

Ok, Deaflimedia - you made my day... let me tell you something, please kindly leave out of this thread, I don't think this thread is good enough for you to chuck unnecessary points that AD'ers don't want to hear anything about it. How about you go to Australia and look for yourself? Australia don't have a deaf University, only mainstream universities that have deaf students, unlike G.U. Best suggestion for you, go back to your own neighbourhood, and be quiet. I don't want to hear one word of you please. Thank you.

Accusing for nothing, is not very nice of you.

Back