Inked Interpreters

if you decide to do it, just be selective on the work you accept. you will limit your income, but thats the nature of the beast.

anyone with visible tattoo's, in my opinion, is limiting their earning power...unless you are a rock star. the buisness world has not yet dropped the stigma that comes with ink...its a fact of life.

i love tattoo's, and have 3 as of right now, and do want to get a couple visible tattoos...but never will. I had my Labret pieced at on time, but had to take it out cause of work.

The "safest" route is to either always wear long sleeves, or at least keep a light-weight long-sleeve cover up close by.

LOL, for some weird reason this reminds me of a comment I got on an interpreter evaluation form from a student. "Interpretrator only wears black clothing, not normal nice clothing." You just can't win for losing sometimes!

LOL, for some weird reason this reminds me of a comment I got on an interpreter evaluation form from a student. "Interpretrator only wears black clothing, not normal nice clothing." You just can't win for losing sometimes!
:rofl:

:lol: Sometimes I would ask my 'terps, "Who died?"

I told them if they interpreted for me that it was alright to wear solid colors such as red, green, blue, purples, etc.

I don't like my interpreters wearing black, day in and day out. :lol:

I've known some few interpreters who are inked. It didn't bother me at all. I think it's all about the degree of the visibility of the tattoo itself. For instance, if the tattoo was large enough to be distracted, then it'd be wise to cover it up (if possible). As for small tattoos, I think it should be fine as long as it is inked on proper areas of the body.

Interpreters are taught to look professional and most of them probably are advised not to get inked.

I agree on the professionalism, and would think it best to cover tats for a professional terp. My son, however, is inked from shoulder to wrist on his left arm, and once I got over the shock of it, I don't find it distracting at all when we are signing. The shock came from seeing my "baby boy" all inked up, LOL!

I wear solid colors 95% of the time, and black only about 70% of the time. I have plenty of other non-black dark solid colors!

UV ink tattoos are really cool - you can see a gallery of them here: UV and Glow tattoos [BMEink.com Tattoo Gallery]
A good example of how they look after they're healed:
Regular - http://www.bmeink.com/A70727/high/bmepb573818.jpg
Black light - http://www.bmeink.com/A70727/high/bmepb573816.jpg

Here's an example of white ink on white skin: http://www.bmeink.com/A70226/high/bmepb467382.jpg
(It looks much different on dark skin, of course.)

I think both of these are good options for interpreters. I'm considering getting one a few inches below my elbow (on the inside forearm) which will be hidden under long sleeves and mostly invisible under short sleeves, so it should be okay either way. :)
I thought those kinds of tattoos weren't long-lasting?

How would you feel if your interpreter had "Yakuza-style" tattoos? ;)

I thought those kinds of tattoos weren't long-lasting?
I have heard that in the past, but I have heard more recently that they are successful now. I know white ink is very stable, UV is trickier no doubt.

I dont recall seeing a terp covered up in tatoos. Either they covered theirs up, didnt have any or I didnt notice.

I am a teacher and I have a tatoo on my ankle. When I first got my teaching job, I asked my supervisor about wear capri pants since it would expose my tatoo. He said as long as it is nothing vulgar, it is fine. My tatoo is a flower band around my ankle.

It is always good to ask what is the code of ethics for dressing professionally. :)

This is kind of off topic, but one of the women I work with (she's an LISW and works as a Social Worker/Counselor) had a mastectomy a few years back. Instead of having reconstructive surgery, she had the area on her chest (over the scars and above) covered with an elaborate tattoo of flowers and leaves. When she wears a shirt with a v-neck, a lot of the tattoo shows. Once I found out the reason for her tattoo, I thought it was a really cool thing to do. It really shows how she tried to make something good out of something bad, and turn the scars into something beautiful.

Me and my fiancé are planning on getting tattoo wedding rings.
I'm also planning on becoming an interpreter.

will having the ring tattoo'd on be distracting?

(please don't give me your opinion on how bad of an idea getting a tattoo wedding ring is in general.)

If it's the same width as a wedding band - that is, very skinny - I would imagine it wouldn't be worse than a wedding band. I wear mine to interpret all the time.

(please don't give me your opinion on how bad of an idea getting a tattoo wedding ring is in general.)

It wouldnt bother me. That sounds neat! :)

Ok, here is a "silly question". I have been considering a tattoo for quite some time now, but have really wanted it on my left wrist. ASL and my involvement in the Deaf community is a huge part of my life and if I don't become an interpreter (ie: because of my own hearing loss or whatever), I would still like to have a job where it is a primary element. Thanks.

Is it "appropriate" or "professional" for an interpreter to have "clean arms"? I am not talking about tattooing my whole arms, or even having a very big tattoo at all, but would it distract others?
Is it not customary for interpreters to wear long sleeves and keep them rolled down while working?

My first thought would be no. There is still discrimination in any job when tatoos are not coverable. The same goes for face piercing. Many jobs make you remove a tongue ring or whatever excess jewlry you wear,, on the brow or the lips, or huge nose rings. They may not tell you that is why they are rejecting your application, but they just shove the application to the bottom of the wrist. It may be unfair, but the business world tends to think that way. So if you are gonna be a freelance terp, you might get away with it, but you might also offend the older deafies. Also, a courtroom setting or hospital setting, or any real professional setting might think it is inappropriate.
Some insight would be appreciated...

So what kind of tat are you wanting? Have you already picked it out?

IF I ever get another one, at 51, I would want to get a the sign simbol for love ya, like in Shel90's signature. I think that would be way cool.

Are you doing better this week? I have been praying for you and your family... well I think it is you I have been praying for. Maybe there are multiple Ophelias at AD.

Have a good one and good luck with your tatoo. Jeanie.. still chasing the dream for a better tomorrow for ALL.

IMO, I don't think it will be distracting because normally, the ring bands are usually small enough around the finger. So, with a tattooed ring band, it will be visible but not quite big enough to cause a distraction. But then, some clients/employers are not too keen about the tattoo itself.

Inked Terps

I am a CODA Terp and it has been my experience over the years that there will be 'some' Clients that will be bothered by tats or piercings... it definitely IS visual noise and really should not be on display during the course of your professional interpreting scenarios. (Lots of people wll also tell you to your face that it does NOT bother them, but behind your back say something else...) It is best to give your client respect by limiting any visual noise that you may have by wearing appropriate attire, covering ink, and/or removing visible non-traditional piercings. After all, we are here to serve them, not to bring attention to ourselves!

After all, we are here to serve them, not to bring attention to ourselves!

While I agree that we're it's not a good idea to bring attention to ourselves, I don't think that we are here to serve "them." In any situation where I am acting as an interpreter, I am there because there are two people desiring to communicate who don't share a language. Therefore I'm there to "serve" both the deaf consumer and the hearing consumer.

Part of my job is to coordinate interpreters for our company. I had an attorney call me last month and said, "A deaf client told me I needed to call you to set up an interpreter." I responded that yes, we do provide interpreters and that I would email him a copy of our fee schedule and our policies & conditions document. He responded, "I have to PAY for this?! Why can't she pay? I'm not the one who needs an interpreter!"

I calmly asked, "Are you fluent in American Sign Language?" He said, "No." I replied, "Well then it looks like YOU need an interpreter as much as she does."

I know it sounds a little anal, but as long as we keep Deaf people in the role of "Consumer" with the vocabulary we use, we're giving all power to the Hearing people. That doesn't bode well for Deaf people.

Sorry to be off topic. Now...back to ink.

Point well taken.... I should have been more 'clear' with my post...LOL, but you are correct we are 'mediators' between both.... I was only trying to say that we should always try our best to make their experience a good one... where they can focus on the situation, not focus on the terp, how they look, dress, etc...

Back