Inked Interpreters

Me and my fiancé are planning on getting tattoo wedding rings.
I'm also planning on becoming an interpreter.

will having the ring tattoo'd on be distracting?

(please don't give me your opinion on how bad of an idea getting a tattoo wedding ring is in general.)

Inked wedding bands wont bother us...it is not too distracting.....I think it is real COOL....but on other side.. if your marriage is not working and end up divorced... it is very expensive to be removed... It is cheaper to be inked..but very expensive to be removed... you have to keep trying to get it removed with 2-5 tries...You have to think twice before making a right decision...

I have three tats.. one is on my right ankle Red Rose other is on my right side of hip small butterfly. lastly one is small heart with sign of ILY on my left "lap" thigh...
One pierced cartigae on my right top of eat and three pierced on both ear lobes...

While I agree that we're it's not a good idea to bring attention to ourselves, I don't think that we are here to serve "them." In any situation where I am acting as an interpreter, I am there because there are two people desiring to communicate who don't share a language. Therefore I'm there to "serve" both the deaf consumer and the hearing consumer.

Part of my job is to coordinate interpreters for our company. I had an attorney call me last month and said, "A deaf client told me I needed to call you to set up an interpreter." I responded that yes, we do provide interpreters and that I would email him a copy of our fee schedule and our policies & conditions document. He responded, "I have to PAY for this?! Why can't she pay? I'm not the one who needs an interpreter!"

I calmly asked, "Are you fluent in American Sign Language?" He said, "No." I replied, "Well then it looks like YOU need an interpreter as much as she does."
I know it sounds a little anal, but as long as we keep Deaf people in the role of "Consumer" with the vocabulary we use, we're giving all power to the Hearing people. That doesn't bode well for Deaf people.

Sorry to be off topic. Now...back to ink.

I love u for saying that to the lawyer!!!

While I agree that we're it's not a good idea to bring attention to ourselves, I don't think that we are here to serve "them." In any situation where I am acting as an interpreter, I am there because there are two people desiring to communicate who don't share a language. Therefore I'm there to "serve" both the deaf consumer and the hearing consumer.

Part of my job is to coordinate interpreters for our company. I had an attorney call me last month and said, "A deaf client told me I needed to call you to set up an interpreter." I responded that yes, we do provide interpreters and that I would email him a copy of our fee schedule and our policies & conditions document. He responded, "I have to PAY for this?! Why can't she pay? I'm not the one who needs an interpreter!"

I calmly asked, "Are you fluent in American Sign Language?" He said, "No." I replied, "Well then it looks like YOU need an interpreter as much as she does."

I know it sounds a little anal, but as long as we keep Deaf people in the role of "Consumer" with the vocabulary we use, we're giving all power to the Hearing people. That doesn't bode well for Deaf people.

Ditto... Well Said....

"PAH!" Somebody understands!!! You're my new hero!!! (Sorry off topic but I couldn't resist here!)

Me and my fiancé are planning on getting tattoo wedding rings.
I'm also planning on becoming an interpreter.

will having the ring tattoo'd on be distracting?

(please don't give me your opinion on how bad of an idea getting a tattoo wedding ring is in general.)

It actually would be a great idea if you plan to work with terp'ing for deafblind (tactile terp'ing) - some of the deafblind folks I worked with hated for the terps to have any rings on the hands.

Excellent points, and very well said!

Think about who the tattoo is specifically intended for. It would not be in your interest to have it so far within your limbs unless you wear long clothing in case someone expresses an objection and you have no time to return home to change. In my opinion, it would be a better idea to have them closer to your torso, you can freely express it in your casual lifestyle.

Think about who the tattoo is specifically intended for. It would not be in your interest to have it so far within your limbs unless you wear long clothing in case someone expresses an objection and you have no time to return home to change. In my opinion, it would be a better idea to have them closer to your torso, you can freely express it in your casual lifestyle.
What's the problem with wearing long clothes all the time? Lots of terps have said they have tattoos and they just wear long clothes to cover it.

What's the problem with wearing long clothes all the time? Lots of terps have said they have tattoos and they just wear long clothes to cover it.
Yeah. It's like everyone else who works. They dress up for work, then change into normal clothes after work and weekends.

Interpreters can do the same thing. There's nothing different. ;)

I don't have tats but I wear long sleeves to cover the hives on my arms, and slacks to cover the ones on my legs. I don't want anyone distracted by all my itchy red bumps. :lol: They might be afraid that I have something "catching." (They're not.)

It gets pretty hot and humid here in the summer. One solution for me is to wear a two-piece top. The inside piece is usually a tank top, and the outter piece is a long-sleeved shirt or sweater. That way, on the job, I can be covered. When I walk out to my car, I can take off the outer layer.

I don't have tats but I wear long sleeves to cover the hives on my arms, and slacks to cover the ones on my legs. I don't want anyone distracted by all my itchy red bumps. :lol: They might be afraid that I have something "catching." (They're not.)

It gets pretty hot and humid here in the summer. One solution for me is to wear a two-piece top. The inside piece is usually a tank top, and the outter piece is a long-sleeved shirt or sweater. That way, on the job, I can be covered. When I walk out to my car, I can take off the outer layer.
Allergic to something?

Allergic to something?
Yeah, deafies.

Just kidding! :rofl:

Seriously, the doctors are still running tests. Maybe auto-immune in the blood, triggered and exacerbated by stress. But it's not pollen or animals or foods.

Yeah, deafies.

Just kidding! :rofl:

Seriously, the doctors are still running tests. Maybe auto-immune in the blood, triggered and exacerbated by stress. But it's not pollen or animals or foods.
Ah, interesting. Sorry about that. Hope they find something.

Back