Indian blood heritage..

I've talked to some of the indians about this. The shift is occurring. :wave: They are re-asserting their identity as indians....not "Native American Indians." That was my point.

That isn't what the Native Indians/Native Americans are saying. They said either is acceptable.

So, do you have any Indain (Native American) blood or not? Or are you just here to troll because you hate the OP.

Yep. Back a few generations got some Blackfoot and some Lakota.

Nope. Just don't like the word "mulatto".

I'm descended from the Powhatan Confederacy through a gg grandfather who was full-blooded.

His daughter,my great grandmother,lived to be very old. (102) I knew her during my youth.

I've had DNA testing done which confirms that I'm of African,European,and Asian/Native American heritage.

I'm an African American and Native American history buff.

Makes sense, since it's the largest tribe in the nation.

Yeah. My wife is 1/8th Indian blood but don't know which tribe. Her grandfather is 1/2 blood but never knew who his father was.

Here's an interesting confirmation:

"First I am human and I want to be treated as such, then I would like to be called by my given name, then I am Yakama. If none of these are sufficient then I am Indian. Anyone born in America can be Native American. I am Indian and as long as it is said with respect I prefer it."

That raised the question in my mind whether this was an individual preference or if that opinion was held by others. I sent a letter to each of the Confederated tribes in Oregon and explained my question and her reply. I then asked them their opinion. The individuals who replied were all quick to point out that it was only their opinion and did not express the opinions of others in the tribe but they unanimously said that they preferred the designation of Indian. With that in mind you will see the term Indian used on my website. It is said, not only with respect, but also with a good deal of admiration for their heritage.

Northwest Indians

Similar responses from Indians that I've personally talked to in the Northwest.

Yeah. My wife is 1/8th Indian blood but don't know which tribe. Her grandfather is 1/2 blood but never knew who his father was.

Here's an interesting confirmation:

Northwest Indians

Similar responses from Indians that I've personally talked to in the Northwest.

If she's 1/8, that would mean that it's her Great Grandparent? Did that person not talk about their heritage? It might be relatively easy to figure it out, depending on where the person came from...

My 2nd Great Grandmother was Coast Miwok, a tribe located primarily in Marin County, CA. She lost her parents at a very young age, and became a servant/slave. I found her in the 1900 census as a servant, and she married a few years later.

I don't think my Great Grandma or her brother ever knew about their heritage. I think she pretty much kept mum about it until the day she died, to protect her family. Even after the Emancipation Proclamation, Indians could be essentially slaves up until 1925 (I believe, might be off by a year or two). Because Indians were discriminated against in finding jobs, housing, etc., my belief is she was trying to protect them against the evils of this world.

I discovered the connection a few years ago, which my family knew nothing about. My goal is to learn more, and openly celebrate where I come from. I like to educate people about them, because too often their significance gets lost in the shuffle.

People are so concerned with what is going on today, that they don't take time to reflect on the past that allowed them to get to where they are. I like to honor my history, especially in an effort to celebrate and give reverence to that which my GG Grandmother had to deny.

eh you're not closely related. don't fool yourself. I'm sure I may have a distant lineage somewhere along with Genghis Khan or some royalty since most of our families are wealthy but not gonna kid myself with it.

If she's 1/8, that would mean that it's her Great Grandparent? Did that person not talk about their heritage? It might be relatively easy to figure it out, depending on where the person came from...

My 2nd Great Grandmother was Coast Miwok, a tribe located primarily in Marin County, CA. She lost her parents at a very young age, and became a servant/slave. I found her in the 1900 census as a servant, and she married a few years later.

I don't think my Great Grandma or her brother ever knew about their heritage. I think she pretty much kept mum about it until the day she died, to protect her family. Even after the Emancipation Proclamation, Indians could be essentially slaves up until 1925 (I believe, might be off by a year or two). Because Indians were discriminated against in finding jobs, housing, etc., my belief is she was trying to protect them against the evils of this world.

I discovered the connection a few years ago, which my family knew nothing about. My goal is to learn more, and openly celebrate where I come from. I like to educate people about them, because too often their significance gets lost in the shuffle.

People are so concerned with what is going on today, that they don't take time to reflect on the past that allowed them to get to where they are. I like to honor my history, especially in an effort to celebrate and give reverence to that which my GG Grandmother had to deny.

No, because my wife's grandfather (George) never knew his father. The mother did not say anything or much about George's father other than that he was an Indian. A taboo affair at the time? Rape? Who knows? That's the problem but we do know for a fact he's 1/2 Indian with no mention of which tribe and that's where the tracks end.

eh you're not closely related. don't fool yourself. I'm sure I may have a distant lineage somewhere along with Genghis Khan or some royalty since most of our families are wealthy but not gonna kid myself with it.

you are not alone
Genghis Khan, the fearsome Mongolian warrior of the 13th century, may have done more than rule the largest empire in the world; according to a recently published genetic study, he may have helped populate it too.

An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today.
source

Very thoughtful post,C-Sign!

Here in VA,some people have had difficulty proving their heritage because of
Walter Plecker,the former director of Vital Statistics.

Plecker believed that VA had no Indians and the tribal remnants thereof were
heavily mixed with W African ancestry. Acting on that belief,he rewrote many
birth certificates and other documents

You might also want to read "Black Indian Slave Narratives" by Patrick Minges. I met Mr. Minges several years ago at a book signing in VA. Some NAs owned African slaves,had mixed race Afro-Native slaves,and enslaved
those from other tribes.

One tribe in VA,who I will not embarrass by naming,once had a "blackout"
clause. Their anti-miscegenation law excluded those who didn't marry whites
or other NDNs from residing in "Indian Town". However,I haven't,as one of
Afro-Indian background,been discriminated against by modern day members
of this tribe because of my physical appearance. (Brown and kinky-haired.)
I descend from this particular nation,for better or worse.

Genealogy is one of my hobbies. You're right,many young people nowadays don't want to talk about the past and how their ancestors "got over". (Made it) Sad!

Who was this post directed towards?

Very thoughtful post,C-Sign!

Here in VA,some people have had difficulty proving their heritage because of
Walter Plecker,the former director of Vital Statistics.

Plecker believed that VA had no Indians and the tribal remnants thereof were
heavily mixed with W African ancestry. Acting on that belief,he rewrote many
birth certificates and other documents

You might also want to read "Black Indian Slave Narratives" by Patrick Minges. I met Mr. Minges several years ago at a book signing in VA. Some NAs owned African slaves,had mixed race Afro-Native slaves,and enslaved
those from other tribes.

One tribe in VA,who I will not embarrass by naming,once had a "blackout"
clause. Their anti-miscegenation law excluded those who didn't marry whites
or other NDNs from residing in "Indian Town". However,I haven't,as one of
Afro-Indian background,been discriminated against by modern day members
of this tribe because of my physical appearance. (Brown and kinky-haired.)
I descend from this particular nation,for better or worse.

Genealogy is one of my hobbies. You're right,many young people nowadays don't want to talk about the past and how their ancestors "got over". (Made it) Sad!

I will definitely check out that book, :ty:...

It was a similar situation with the Coast Miwok (in terms of them not being acknowledged). Very little documentation, and no federal recognition until years later. Then the government removed their "tribal status" (can't remember exactly when). It wasn't until 2004 (not 100% positive about the year, but around that time) that they regained their status.

With the influx of the Spanish (think Mission Dolores and Mission San Rafael Archangel) and European settlers, the Coast Miwok started to die off at an alarming rate.

What really did them in was being at the Missions, in relatively small dormitories with people packed on top of people. Diseases ran rampant, and ultimately the neophytes who left the Mission to go back to their villages to get healed, spread the disease to others in the villages.

I've been working on my geneaology for the last 6 years or so, and wish I could spend all my time doing it. :)

Back