Income "inequality"

nobody456

Reaction score
Those 1%ers feel they have worked for this, so they deserve it. My signature says it all...

I know the "Rich get richer" thread was closed due to some tense moments there, but I still think the subject of income equality is of significance.

I following is a link with some actual graphs derived from income taxes (IRS):

Tax Data Show Richest 1 Percent Took a Hit in 2008, But Income Remained Highly Concentrated at the Top — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Income inequality is definately a significant topic...and very eye opening if one actually takes the time to access the information available on the topic. Sociologists have been doing studies on the effects of income inequality for decades.

Really, I think it goes back to Adam Smith days of the 18th century. Could argue it goes back further, when Feudal systems were the rage.

Really, I think it goes back to Adam Smith days of the 18th century. Could argue it goes back further, when Feudal systems were the rage.
I love your turn of phrase, "when Feudal systems were all the rage." :lol:

So did Kenneth Lay, Bernard Ebbers, Matthew Gless, Stephen Gardner, John Moores, Calisto Tanzi.. the list goes on and on.

Bingo. They will all justify their actions with the distorted belief that they worked for it. Of course, I guess cheating people out of money does require some work.....:P

Not everyone who becomes wealthy does it in an unethical or illegal way. Many people work long, hard, and honestly for their money.

Not everyone who becomes wealthy does it in an unethical or illegal way. Many people work long, hard, and honestly for their money.

Yes, many people worked honestly for their money, but it's kind of a "moot point" when you observe the social mobility:

BBC NEWS | Americas | Looking for the land of opportunity
Social Immobility: Climbing The Economic Ladder Is Harder In The U.S. Than In Most European Countries

How can you work hard for your money when your position in the nation is now based on who your family and friends are? And not based on ethics, education or skills?

Yes, many people worked honestly for their money, but it's kind of a "moot point" when you observe the social mobility:

Social Immobility: Climbing The Economic Ladder Is Harder In The U.S. Than In Most European Countries

How can you work hard for your money when your position in the nation is now based on who your family and friends are? And not based on ethics, education or skills?
If that's what you believe then it will hold you down.

Kind of supports the old saying, "It isn't what you know; it's who you know."

If there was anything that surprised me about college, it was how political scientists measure "trust" in countries. That was pretty much the only "indicator" amongst anything that could be measured where America was #1. I'm not exactly sure what questions they were and the wording of it, but maybe I could dredge some nerdy academia stuff if y'all want it.

Also how "family and friends" can sometimes be more interchangeable than we thought as a "bank". For example, Asian cultures are strongly family-oriented, whereas independence in America is strongly emphasized. We don't really share our paychecks, we deposit it in a bank, etc.

I do agree on some level that "it's not what you know, but who you know" really does play out when individuals try to land a job. For me, this was very true. I saw friends who had friends in higher places land gravy-train jobs without a four-year degree or not very ethical type positions (housing industry). I started at the bottom of state position and have steadily worked my way up.

I'd rather be skeptical of those who have substantial resources at their disposal than be ignorant and believe that whatever they did was the "Right" way.

I do believe *most* people who are "wealthy" have earned it, but like I said, I'm not going to be ignorant. This will probably spark a few more words, but hey, why not, I could learn something new or change my world-view?....I'd "treat" the same level (or nearly?) of skepticism towards the wealthy as I would towards those receiving welfare benefits. By welfare, I mean "cheating" society by receiving benefits. Stuff like "are you sincerely looking for a job?" when receiving job unemployment benefits. Health care benefits.

That's why I like Lorenz curves and then comparing tax/electoral systems - it helps frame the thornier issues of wealth distribution.

Back