"Importance of Morphemic Awareness to Reading Achievement..."

Where? What? The article is in the Oxford Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, edited by Marc Marsharck, a professor at NTID who is one of the Deaf community's most lauded researchers. this is not some propaganda piece, it's a legit. piece of research on making the morphology of words -- something necessary for reading -- visible to children who can't hear the words. It's about teaching literacy, and has nothing to do with endorsing SEE as a 'language' to be used by children.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wish if a poster doesn't really have anything to contribute other than their hatred of SEE, they would just leave it alone.

I am fluent in SEE.

I have been contributing to your thread by saying that it's not effective. People here are contributing to your thread, a lot of them just don't agree with you. That's what your problem is. You cannot get some of us to agree with a novice user of SEE.

I am fluent in SEE.

I have been contributing to your thread by saying that it's not effective. People here are contributing to your thread, a lot of them just don't agree with you. That's what your problem is. You cannot get some of us to agree with a novice user of SEE.

To clarify. Banjo is fluent in SEE.

I am fluent in SEE.

A person fluent in SEE is not a novice user.

Also, if you had read the study you would have seen that SEE can be effective in helping a DHH child attain literacy and fluency in English.

That; my friend, is what I was hoping to discuss.

Also, if you had read the study you would have seen that SEE can be effective in helping a DHH child attain literacy and fluency in English.

post 151.

And again, the overwhelming response is that deaf people don't like SEE and they listed their reasons why. Why are you not considering what they have to say?

Quic kTime™ and a
TIFF (LZW) decompressor
are needed to see this picture.
Both MSS and SEE are based on a ―two out of three‖ rule: If a word is spelled with the same letters
and sounds the same, it is signed in the same way, even if the meaning of the two words differs.
Thus, the word run is signed consistently in SEE no matter the meaning. SEE uses the manual
features common to all sign languages and systems as was first explained by the authors in the
first edition of the SEE dictionary (Gustasonet al., 1973). The ―two out of three‖ rule is not utilized
in SE or PSE. Instead, when English words have different meanings, they are
usually signed in different ways. For more detailed information as to the commonalities and
differences of signed language and systems, see Stewart and Luetke-Stahlman (1998).

Just reading this paragraph is enough to point out one deficiency in SEE. That's a very confusing way to do things. And not a good way to learn.

And again, the overwhelming response is that deaf people don't like SEE and they listed their reasons why. Why are you not considering what they have to say?

We have teachers of the Deaf here, who are Deaf, who have said they use SEE for the purposes described in this study. And we have laypeople who say they object to the use of SEE as a primary language. This study is about the use of SEE as a tool for teaching deaf children to read. Are you conflating the use of SEE as a language with the use of SEE as a tool for teaching literacy?

We have teachers of the Deaf here, who are Deaf, who have said they use SEE for the purposes described in this study. And we have laypeople who say they object to the use of SEE as a primary language. This study is about the use of SEE as a tool for teaching deaf children to read. Are you conflating the use of SEE as a language with the use of SEE as a tool for teaching literacy?

No, I'm asking a simple question to CSign which is why is she continuing a method that is seemingly opposed by the majority of the Deaf here on AD, many of whom do know SEE.

I don't agree with CSign's view on SEE but I don't see a reason to go all berserk on her. At least she is acknowledging ASL plays a role.

Most of us agree SEE isn't effective. Why is it not effective?

I don't agree with CSign's view on SEE but I don't see a reason to go all berserk on her. At least she is acknowledging ASL plays a role.

My post #158

We've all already told her why it is not effective.

The reason we are going "all berserk" on her is because she keeps throwing it in our faces.

We've all already told her why it is not effective.

The reason we are going "all berserk" on her is because she keeps throwing it in our faces.

Or that she continues to promote it despite AD explaining to her over and over and over again why it's not ideal, many of them of whom know SEE.

I searched for "signing exact english" on youtube. Found this one: SIGNED EXACT ENGLISH: Can You Decipher This Video? - YouTube

LOL. yeah thats one. the reason i asked because csign have not even provide how or what SEE looks like. I know what SEE looks like. Thank you for finding the videos of SEE though. sorry.

yep I grew up with SEE and can't stand using SEE myself. I had to use my voice and sign SEE at the same when teachers made me so. I lost my interest in school when the teachers use SEE. They made me hate reading books because of SEE.

gallaudet saved my life but i wish i had gallaudet when i was a kid. oh well.

In all of my years as an educator, I've observed something very important. You take all the kids who are successful with literacy, they usually have one thing in common in spite of different modes of learning ...parental involvement. If the parents are passionate about their child's education, the chances are, that kid will excel no matter what the methods. That is the KEY. That is why kids of CSign, Cloggy, Rick, G, FJ, and others are doing beautifully...because their parents care.

A majority of parents of deaf kids are passive, not passionate, when it comes to their kids. And that's where we educators have to step in and say whoa!!! Yes, it works for YOUR child...but we need to look at the whole system...how will children with minimal support outside the classroom develop literacy? Language? Communication? That will benefit the CHILD in all aspects of the environment.

Back