"Importance of Morphemic Awareness to Reading Achievement..."

The journal is edited by Mark Marschark and is affiliated with ntid.

Thanks for the link but even on that link, there's no mention of Mark Marschark or NTID in regards to the pdf CSign linked to. So I'm still confused as to how you know the paper was edited by Mark Marschark.

Good point -- I just realized I don't see it either. I do see the reference to Marschark, but that's for a 2010 journal and not this particular issue. So I don't see how to find it for this issue.

Thanks for the link but even on that link, there's no mention of Mark Marschark or NTID in regards to the pdf CSign linked to. So I'm still confused as to how you know the paper was edited by Mark Marschark.
Go to the link... right column, below:
Editor: Marc Marschark, PhD.

(or use "Ctrl-F" and search for Marc... it will be highlighted..)

If we are going to bring up what's "easier for hearing people to communicate with deaf people" that would be just speaking, because that's what hearing people do. They speak.

You know what i mean about SEE vs ASL. She chose SEE over ASL because she had a hard time grasping of using ASL.

Yes, his name is linked to Oxford Journals in general, not to this particular article.

Marschark is the Editor of this particular Oxford journal: the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, not all of the Oxford journals. He decides what gets published in each issue, edits content, etc. Sometimes hs own work and research is published. He may have edited, but no one's saying he is the author of this article.

?..this study from the latest issue of a preeminent journal on deaf studies edited by a leading researcher at NTID...

Marschark is the Editor of this particular Oxford journal: the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, not all of the Oxford journals. He decides what gets published in each issue, edits content, etc. Sometimes hs own work and research is published. He may have edited, but is not the author of this article.

I doubt he did otherwise his name would have been mentioned. I did google the name of the article to see if his name was attached to it in any way and it wasn't - the only link is that this article is published in Oxford Journal of which Mark is Editor of Deaf Studies dep't. If indeed Mark Marschark, PhD edited this article, it would have been duly noted and accredited.

I doubt he did otherwise his name would have been mentioned. I did google the name of the article to see if his name was attached to it in any way and it wasn't - the only link is that this article is published in Oxford Journal of which Mark is Editor of Deaf Studies dep't. If indeed Mark Marschark, PhD edited this article, it would have been duly noted and accredited.

dc, I suspect you are just arguing for the sake of arguing again. Because this is not a controversial issue. The editor of a magazine isn't listed among the authors of every article published in his magazine.

Whats the point of your argument? Marschark is the Editor of the Journal of Deaf Studies ... Not the editor of a department. He is editor of every issue that comes out with his name as editor on the masthead. The editor's name is on that magazine, every issue, and doesn't go on the individual articles: you see the authors' names there. The editor doesn't write the piece or conduct the research. He solicits content, selects what gets published, approves the content for publication, and edits the content to whatever degree necessary for it to meet the standards of the publication.

dc, I suspect you are just arguing for the sake of arguing again. Because this is not a controversial issue. The editor of a magazine isn't listed among the authors of every article published in his magazine.

Whats the point of your argument? Marschark is the Editor of the Journal of Deaf Studies ... Not the editor of a department. He is editor of every issue that comes out with his name as editor on the masthead. The editor's name is on that magazine, every issue, and doesn't go on the individual articles: you see the authors' names there. The editor doesn't write the piece or conduct the research. He solicits content, selects what gets published, approves the content for publication, and edits the content to whatever degree necessary for it to meet the standards of the publication.

I just like accuracy and facts, not claims.

Right, so both Shel and DeafBajagal, both teachers of deaf students, seem to be expressing that there's a good use for SEE as a tool for teaching literacy, which is what this study is about. They aren't, and the study isn't talking about using SEE as a primary language. So, why do you object to CSign's posting of this study from the latest issue of a preeminent journal on deaf studies edited by a leading researcher at NTID? I don't see how the majority of Deaf oppose the use of SEE in this way.

The problem here is - at first you used a "leading researcher at NTID" to make this research the ever more valid. You were decorating. (Wouldn't be the first time either)

Now it appears all he did was post it into the Oxford journals.

I stand by Caroline here. Lets get our facts accurate.

The problem here is - at first you used a "leading researcher at NTID" to make this research the ever more valid. You were decorating. (Wouldn't be the first time either)

Now it appears all he did was post it into the Oxford journals.

I stand by Caroline here. Lets get our facts accurate.

:laugh2: So you also object to my crazy "claim" that Marschark is Editor of the journal of deaf studies ... and say it is inaccurate "decoration" to "claim" that that the article was published in the respected journal of deaf studies and deaf education ...

"Now it appears all he did was post it into the Oxford journals."

What does that even mean? Do you think the Journal of Deaf Studies ... is a blog?

:laugh2: So you also object to my crazy "claim" that Marschark is Editor of the journal of deaf studies ... and say it is inaccurate "decoration" to "claim" that that the article was published in the respected journal of deaf studies and deaf education ...

What does that even mean? Do you think the Journal of Deaf Studies ... is a blog?

Nice backpedal. But that's to be expected. (That was not what I was addressing though.)

I'll leave it alone here.

now you are just arguing for the sake of argument....

Why do you put words in other people's mouths? he never said it was some crazy claim that Marschark is the Editor of Deaf Studies or that this article got published in the Oxford Journal and you know that.

What he and I are saying is that there's no evidence Marschark edited this article himself but your post implied he did as if that lends more importance to the article by attaching his name to it.

Just admit it and move on.

Right, so both Shel and DeafBajagal, both teachers of deaf students, seem to be expressing that there's a good use for SEE as a tool for teaching literacy, which is what this study is about. They aren't, and the study isn't talking about using SEE as a primary language. So, why do you object to CSign's posting of this study from the latest issue of a preeminent journal on deaf studies edited by a leading researcher at NTID? I don't see how the majority of Deaf oppose the use of SEE in this way.

let's admit it... you misspoke. Not a big deal but to continue this farce... please kindly cease this trivial silliness so we all can move on.

Just because Marschark is an editor of this journal doesn't mean every article is endorsed by him. A good editor always included all sides even though he disagrees with it... but that's what Editorial Section is for. He is free to express his dissent or support in that particular page.

What a typical knee-jerk response. Read back to what I said, which DC has been arguing against:

?..this study from the latest issue of a preeminent journal on deaf studies edited by a leading researcher at NTID...

The only argument you can possibly have with my statements is that I misspelled Marschark's first name. But ... go right ahead. Draw up "sides", build your fort, posture away ...

What a typical knee-jerk response. Read back to what I said, which DC has been arguing against:

The only argument you can possibly have with these statements is that I misspelled Marschark's first name. But ... go right ahead. Draw up "sides", build your fort, posture away ...

what? now are you trolling us?

do you know why my credibility holds very high among ADers no matter how much I pissed off people with my strong view? It's because I know how to admit my mistakes and not dance around.

forget it. I've already moved on and you're still at starting line. :roll:

Back