Implants help child emerge from silent world

gnulinuxman said:
My fiancee is glad she can use her voice and lipread too. I am glad she can too, actually, despite the fact that her parents did it by beating her whenever she signed. However, she often prefers to "play deaf" when she's with me because as soon as she opens her mouth, a lot of hearing people assume she can hear everything they say.

Very sorry for what your g/f been through, but as for me, my parents didn't force it on me, my greatest memory is sitting at the kitchen table when I was 4 or 5, with my mom learning all those words, she made it fun. A lot of people assumed I'm hearing by my speech, but I always made sure they know. Even when they're surprised, I always laugh at them, they can't help it. I don't hold it against anyone when they talk to me as a hearing person, it's my responsibilty to let others know. And if they put me down, then shame on them, not me.
Stacie

I didn't. I merely am pointing out that some parents get the CI and/or force oralism for selfish reasons to people like Fragmenter who keeps saying parents who choose them all love their children.

Okay. First - I believe some parents may force oralism for selfish reasons. Those parents then are not loving parents, either.
Second - I am sorry but the way you wrote it it looked like you used your fiancee as an example. If you did, and I think you did after all, - again not loving parents here.

Loving parents do not choose what best for them - they choose what's best for the children.

And may I tell you how sorry I am about your fiancee. I am sorry the police didn't help, but I hope your fiancee knows her parenst were very wrong.

I'm serious. Some parents would rather pay money than learn to accomodate for their children. Some are more willing to pay a lot for a "quick fix" than to learn to accommodate for their children.

That also is an example of un- loving parents. Any parent who think of himself first and not a child is not too good a parent.

Fuzzy

Last edited:
Audiofuzzy, :ty: for getting my point. Yes, she does know her parents are wrong.

But yes, that is really what my point is--some parents aren't loving.

gnulinuxman said:
Paying $1000's for something is easier for those who have the money than learning to sign because signing takes EFFORT, while paying the money doesn't take as much effort, especially if you have the money.

I'm serious. Some parents would rather pay money than learn to accomodate for their children. Some are more willing to pay a lot for a "quick fix" than to learn to accommodate for their children.
Again it show that you don't know about it. "Paying the money" is just the start. Add the stress about a child being operated on. (Even though there's a very small possibility of anything happening, the stress will still be there.) THEN, the real journey starts. THEN 5% is done, and parents and child have to start WORKING to get results.

Personally I think learning ASL is a lot easier than going through the proces of CI. So go figure.... why on earth would parents prefer the "CI"-road instead of learning ASL.... where's the catch????

If you can't figure it out, the answer is all over this forum!

StacieLeigh said:
Very sorry for what your g/f been through, but as for me, my parents didn't force it on me, my greatest memory is sitting at the kitchen table when I was 4 or 5, with my mom learning all those words, she made it fun. A lot of people assumed I'm hearing by my speech, but I always made sure they know. Even when they're surprised, I always laugh at them, they can't help it. I don't hold it against anyone when they talk to me as a hearing person, it's my responsibilty to let others know. And if they put me down, then shame on them, not me.
Stacie
Hey, that's good if you like it. My fiancee is glad she can use her voice, but, like you, hearing people often assume she is hearing because of her voice quality.

what is this???

Audiofuzzy said:
Okay. First - I believe some parents may force oralism for selfish reasons. Those parents then are not loving parents, either.
Second - I am sorry but the way you wrote it it looked like you used your fiancee as an example. If you did, and I think you did after all, - again not loving parents here.

Loving parents do not choose what best for them - they choose what's best for the children.

And may I tell you how sorry I am about your fiancee. I am sorry the police didn't help, but I hope your fiancee knows her parenst were very wrong.

That also is an example of un- loving parents. Any parent who think of himself first and not a child is not too good a parent.

Fuzzy

I allowed him to use me as an example and explain the situation, why?? because I have problems that someone might read over my shoulder and slap me one for it. plus gnulinuxman is right! About if I open my mouth thing, it hurts ok? my life was made hell for nearly 16 years and out of those 16 I have known my fiance nearly 2 years.

Thank you

Deaflinuxgeek

Cloggy said:
Again it show that you don't know about it. "Paying the money" is just the start. Add the stress about a child being operated on. (Even though there's a very small possibility of anything happening, the stress will still be there.) THEN, the real journey starts. THEN 5% is done, and parents and child have to start WORKING to get results.

Personally I think learning ASL is a lot easier than going through the proces of CI. So go figure.... why on earth would parents prefer the "CI"-road instead of learning ASL.... where's the catch????

If you can't figure it out, the answer is all over this forum!
Because selfish parents in this country leave it up to the schools and therapists.

neecy said:
Saying parents would rahter spend thousands of dollars instead of learning sign language is asinine.

how right you are! when my deaf children were younger, i met lots of parents who had no previous experience with deaf and when they found their kids were deaf, they were very willing and eager to do what they can do to help their deaf children -- i have conversed with many of these parents in sign language -- they were so into helping their children however they can

greema said:
how right you are! when my deaf children were younger, i met lots of parents who had no previous experience with deaf and when they found their kids were deaf, they were very willing and eager to do what they can do to help their deaf children -- i have conversed with many of these parents in sign language -- they were so into helping their children however they can
All I can say is that I wish there were more parents like that. I know they exist--I've met some, but there aren't enough.

This spending thousands of dollars thing for a "quick fix" happens mostly in upper-middle-class and upper-class families with parents who like buying quick fixes rather than putting forth effort to do something, by the way.

sr171soars said:
Bear,

To follow up with what Neecy just said about negatives...I can say what I had to worry about prior to my CI. FYI - I always was HOH and used a HA since 3 yrs old until I got my CI. Like Neecy, I had one of those great experiences but prior to that I had these concerns...

FYI - I was implanted with the Freedom in March of '05.

1) Facial nerve paralysis - Possible because the facial nerve is so close to where they have to drill to put the electrode into the cochlea. Years ago this was a real concern as it happened sometimes. They use a facial nerve monitor which has really reduced this problem and typically if it does happen the paralysis is temporary. In rare cases, it happens. This is the one that I worried about the most of all of the negatives.

2) Given how they did my incision I had numbness in my ear (the top half). That was because the ear was pulled out of the way for the surgery. It took me about nine months to get full feeling back in my ear.

3) My sense of taste was messed up on the side of my implant. That was for similar reasons for facial nerve paralysis. They mentioned that would probably happen (it doesn't always happen). What I mean by messed up is that on that side things would taste metallic particularily with drinking fluids. That has more or less ceased to be a problem after about a year. Once in a while I can "taste" that metallic taste but it is slowly receeding.

4) Neecy mentioned that sometimes the electrode can irritate certain nerves nearby. Fortunately as she said, they can work around that. I never had any problem with that and from what I understand, it typically doesn't happen. I have heard that over time with healing the problem can go away.

5) Implants can fail and unfortunately it does happen. I understand the percentages are small and they can reimplant without side effects.

6) Most outcomes are fairly predictable (within a range of course) but there are always cases where it either doesn't do the expected (worst than expected) or the outcome is better than expected (I personally know a person this has happened to). The best outcomes are children (not all but many and the younger the better), late deafened and those like me who was HOH and could get by with HAs for listening to speech and speak well. Anybody who has never really heard or not developed understanding of speech or not speak a language is basically a crap shoot and sometimes motivation can overcome some of these drawbacks. In my case, they told me I would do well with one.

7) There may be issues with the cochlea itself that causes problems. That is hard to predict and that is why they do cat scans to try to see if any problems may exist. Unfortunately, there are limitations with cat scans as it doesn't catch everything.

(EDIT) Let me add another one...

8) A CI can cure one's tinnitus but sometimes it doesn't or makes it worst. In my case, my tinnitus went away.

I hope that is helpful for you...and others.

Thank you! I hope Fragmenter read this -- I know we are focusing on the positives, but it is good to have the negatives put on the plate too so we would be aware of the good and bad

This is exactly how I feel. I have had no previous experience with anyone who was deaf and now I have a 4 month old daughter who is deaf (severe to profound hearing loss). I am doing everything I can to help her. That is why I joined this forum to learn as much as I can from everyone. I would never take the easy way out, she comes first! Every decision that I make is in her best interest, not mine.

greema said:

Audiofuzzy said:

Fuzzy

fuzzy, you hit the nail on the head! this IS precisely what Fragmenter was trying to bring across! bravo!

:kiss:

greema said:
Thank you! I hope Fragmenter read this -- I know we are focusing on the positives, but it is good to have the negatives put on the plate too so we would be aware of the good and bad

Noted. Will talk with the doctor about side effects and all that.

gnulinuxman said:
Selfish parents can see the CI as being MUCH easier than learning to sign. Think about it--it is easier to plop down $1000's than it is to learn to sign.
Sorry i have to strongly disagree with you on that one. I am a hearing parent with a child with a CI and it's not just visits once a week to see a therapist. Its extensive therapy at home with your child. Therapy visits help your child about 10%, the other 90% is all at home and with everyday occurences and 1 on 1 time with your child. So it's a lot more than just plopping down $1000's. It's worth every moment of it.

kayla123 said:
Sorry i have to strongly disagree with you on that one. I am a hearing parent with a child with a CI and it's not just visits once a week to see a therapist. Its extensive therapy at home with your child. Therapy visits help your child about 10%, the other 90% is all at home and with everyday occurences and 1 on 1 time with your child. So it's a lot more than just plopping down $1000's. It's worth every moment of it.
An I can confirm this 100%; from personal experience.....

Back