Implants help child emerge from silent world

neecy said:
You have a cochlear implant and can verify this from experience?
I think he actually secrectly wants want so that he can turn off sounds whenever he wants it. But... he doesn't qualify.

gnulinuxman said:
Hearing aids, on the other hand, are different. They only amplify sound.
Cochlear implants are less than perfect too. They don't have enough clarity to match normal hearing.

Er...as Neecy pointed out, you have no idea what you are talking about. The clarity of my CI comparied to my HA is astonishing. I can hear speech (with clarity) much further than before. In fact just recently, I was sitting in my van waiting for my kids to come home off the bus from school. Another mother a long way across the street (on the opposite corner) had asked me a question in a normal voice and I understood her perfectly the first time without hint of a question coming my way. There was no way I could do that with my HA (in the past) without a repeat or two and probably stepping closer.

The big thing that irritates me is this idea that either it must be perfect or it is no good is total bunkem. Heck even amongst the hearing, there are variations how well they hear due their circumstances (i.e., age, physiological issues, damage and so on). Very few hearing have perfect hearing (and mostly when they are young). For us 'borgs that do well with 'em, we are really at best in the mildly HOH category and that is good enough for us "THANK YOU". What more can we expect? Our lives are easier when it comes to the hearing and that is all that matters.

Getting back to the topic, you will not get very far fighting a "scorched earth" war in attempting to denying parent's right whether fully informed or not especally in the realm of CIs. There many other decisions that parents can do that are sometimes just as harmful if not worst due to ignorance, intolerance, or stupidity. Most parents attempt to do what is best for their children. Education is the key for parents making better decisions not extremist positions that alienate.

:gpost: Excellent example.

But I get a feeling it is of no interest to Dan because he needs to hold on to his argument that "CI don't make for Normal hearing". If he would accepth your experience, he would lose his argument against CI.

We had a great experience this morning with my daughter (bi-lateral CI, 4 years old)
Sitting at breakfast, I ticked on a bottle with water. Started a game with her where she would say "yes" when she heared it. At 2m distance (6-7 feet) she could hear just the touch of my nail on the bottle. My mother-in-law who wears hearing-aids (sitting atg 3ft) could not hear it.

gnulinuxman said:
No, but I've read your "CI's aren't perfect" posts, and I use glasses daily to see (which make my vision normal), so if you're telling the truth.....

Did I just use your own posts against you?????????

nope - I stand by what I said - NOTHING is perfect - but that is no reason to not use them, as I stated in another thread there's maybe a 4-5% failure rate - its like you are totally disregarding any of the successes.

Cloggy said:
Normal hearing is not the goal.... but I guess it's easier to forget about that and keep it as an argument.... Otherwise there will be no arguments left......
Well OK, keep using it.

Very true - being able to *UNDERSTAND SPEECH* is the goal- regardless whether its considered "normal hearing" or not. The brain is an incredibly elastic organ and it WILL LEARN to take the sounds its given and turn it into something it can understand. For some that process takes longer than others, but once its achieved, once you can understand speech and other sounds - its all gravy! :)

And that aside - my CI compared to the "clarity" I received from my HA is laughable! Its the difference between a grainy black and white TV (sound with my HA'S) and HDTV!!! (sound with my CI)

sr171soars said:
The big thing that irritates me is this idea that either it must be perfect or it is no good is total bunkem. Heck even amongst the hearing, there are variations how well they hear due their circumstances (i.e., age, physiological issues, damage and so on). Very few hearing have perfect hearing (and mostly when they are young). For us 'borgs that do well with 'em, we are really at best in the mildly HOH category and that is good enough for us "THANK YOU". What more can we expect? Our lives are easier when it comes to the hearing and that is all that matters.

I've repeatedly given examples where I've been able to hear better than my hearing mom in some situations.

You know what the coolest thing is for you and me? When we're old and grey in our 80's while everybody else who is "hearing" is slowly going deaf, we'll hear as well as we do now!!!

Fragmenter said:
That shows how close-minded you are.

Parents wants their children to be able to speak and hear as efficiently as possible. Seriously, I am tired of repeating myself.
You're generalizing again. NOT ALL parents are loving. Most probably are, but you can't assume they all are, especially since 3 of my deaf friends have parents who aren't that loving.

neecy said:
nope - I stand by what I said - NOTHING is perfect - but that is no reason to not use them, as I stated in another thread there's maybe a 4-5% failure rate - its like you are totally disregarding any of the successes.
I'm sorry I disagree with you, but the majority isn't the only important group. I care about that 4-5%.

gnulinuxman said:
I'm sorry I disagree with you, but the majority isn't the only important group. I care about that 4-5%.

I said it before and I'll say it again...If risk is your concern and life is nothing but a risk, then I suggest you find a nice wooden box and find a good hole in the ground...get buried and be done with it. There...no risks anymore...

You talk about taking risks...I was 6 or so when my parents agreed to let me have surgery in my left ear (my bad ear...I wore a HA in my right ear) to have the middle ear bones replaced with teflon parts (one of the first in the nation to do so) to see if that would help me. Well, it didn't work as they then realized my problem was probably sensorineural or cochlea (they hadn't really gotten into the cochlear hair bit just quite yet). Here I have been lugging around a teflon middle ear for over forty years none for the worst of wear and heck have nearly forgotten about it. It had no impact in my life and I kept on trucking.

At worst, these children won't be able to hear anyway (Heck, wasn't that what they were facing to begin with wasn't it?). Nothing venture is nothing gained. They can learn sign, lipreading, whatever and participate in society in some form or fashion. These failures don't condemn them in anyway and they can live fairly normal lives (sans hearing).

gnulinuxman said:
You're generalizing again. NOT ALL parents are loving. Most probably are, but you can't assume they all are, especially since 3 of my deaf friends have parents who aren't that loving.

Only the loving parents would even consider speech and hearing training for their deaf children.

The unloving ones wouldn't waste time working with their deaf children.

You are not a daddy so you have zero permission to tell parents how loving or unloving theyare. None. You have no credibility when it comes to discussing parenthood.

neecy said:

You know what the coolest thing is for you and me? When we're old and grey in our 80's while everybody else who is "hearing" is slowly going deaf, we'll hear as well as we do now!!!

You bet!!! :D I have repeatively told people when we get old, they will have problems...not me (implies any 'borg like us). :thumb:

NOT ALL parents are loving. Most probably are, but you can't assume they all are, especially since 3 of my deaf friends have parents who aren't that loving.

That is true, yet it has very, very little to do with what CI is and how it works. Plus, obviously only the loving parent would spend time and money to get as much benefits as possible from CI.

Hearing pple too, don't always have a loving parents. Being deaf or hearing have nothing to do with being loving.

Fuzzy

My mother-in-law who wears hearing-aids (sitting atg 3ft) could not hear it.
Was she wearing the old lady (ITE aids)? If so then I'm NOT SURPRISED!!! ITE aids give crap power.
Oh, and neecy, I can undy.....I can hear with ITE aids, but the difference between ITE aids and BTE aids is exactly how you descibed it for you with BTEs vs an implant.

Fragmenter said:
Only the loving parents would even consider speech and hearing training for their deaf children.

The unloving ones wouldn't waste time working with their deaf children.

You are not a daddy so you have zero permission to tell parents how loving or unloving theyare. None. You have no credibility when it comes to discussing parenthood.
What part of "selfish parent" don't you get??? Doesn't it ever occur to you that many parents have chosen oral-only education MAINLY because the parents won't "need" to learn to sign.

Audiofuzzy said:
That is true, yet it has very, very little to do with what CI is and how it works. Plus, obviously only the loving parent would spend time and money to get as much benefits as possible from CI.

Hearing pple too, don't always have a loving parents. Being deaf or hearing have nothing to do with being loving.

Fuzzy
Selfish parents can see the CI as being MUCH easier than learning to sign. Think about it--it is easier to plop down $1000's than it is to learn to sign.

Fragmenter said:
That shows how close-minded you are.

Parents wants their children to be able to speak and hear as efficiently as possible. Seriously, I am tired of repeating myself.
All generalizations are false, including this one. ;)

gnulinuxman said:
All generalizations are false, including this one. ;)

but you seem to enjoy making generalizations that the majority of parents of deaf children are abusive because your fiance's parents were, and you know people who were. If this were to be true then 95% of parents would be abusive

Selfish parents can see the CI as being MUCH easier than learning to sign. Think about it--it is easier to plop down $1000's than it is to learn to sign.

IS it?????

Does it end at $1000?

what about involved necessary therapy after implanting where you need to get your child to and back home, what if some parts break down?? Oh and are there batteries involved?

Fuzzy

Saying parents would rahter spend thousands of dollars instead of learning sign language is asinine.

gnulinuxman said:
These two sentenses really show how much you know about CI. It's not much. Actually, I haven't seen any comprehension about CI at all. But then, you don't really care, do you?

Because it also shows that you are here just to start a discussion. Any discussion will do. And the best way to do that would be to disagree with anything, not listning to arguments and ignore the rest.... and post the next insult to keep on discussing.

Well, I hope that really makes you happy and we'll be here to help you pass the day.
Sorry we can't be with you the whole time. There's life on the other side of the screen.

Back