I'm soooo nervous!!!

I'm sorry you had to reschedule your appointment. Hope your insurance company comes through before your new appointment date!

Makes sense...........and good on you for having that attitude! Care to tell the long story about why you can't wear a hearing aid in your first ear? I mean I definitly think that looking into wth happened, might lead to treatment.....I just read your thread......are you 100% positive that your weird hearing sitution isn't Menirere's? I know they might be able to help you with steriods and things. But, I mean it does sound like you're a pretty good canidate!

Hm, did I tell the story in my other thread on why I can't wear the other hearing aid? If not, I'll post it later as I am about to go eat lunch & watch CSI with my Husband since it's just us two this wkend!
As for the Menirere's, I'm not 100% +, but I haven't ever been told that I had it. I suppose I could bring up Menirere's with the MEI team when I go in on the 27th.... can one develop Menirere's Disease as they get older? I guess I'll have to research Menirere's Disease again as I don't remember what all it said about it. If you have any good links, please send 'em my way! Thanks!

deafmama,

Sorry about the insurance snafu. Insurance can be a pain! I hope things get worked out soon. BTW, It looks like you will be going for a CI evaluation the same week I am now. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks. What day are you having your CI eval appt?
At least we'll both be going thru it 'together' in a way. :) Good luck on your appt! I hope we both come back telling everyone the good news! :)

Is it really complicated trying to get the insurance approval? I thought it was simple and straightforwarded?

Anyways, best of luck!

Hi everyone!

Bad news, I wasn't even able to go to my 2 appts at the MEI today. It's rescheduled for 8am & 9:30 am Tuesday the 27th.

You all have nooooooooooo idea how upset I was when I saw my husband's expression on his face as he was talking to someone at the MEI. I was so uipset that I was crying & crying and yelling out "screw you you stupid insurance fuckers!" :/ He called to find out the status of my insurance accepting the referrals & all that just as we were putting our coats & shoes on. Turns out my damn insurance hasn't approved it yet!!! Grrr!!!! My husband is now planning on calling those fuckers everyday starting Monday to get them to approve it by Monday the 26th, so I can go to my appt for sure on the 27th. We were considering to just go ahead and pay the $150 for the CI evaluation fee, but we then realize that once my insurance finds out, they could refuse to pay for anything else, especially for the surgery if I'm candidate and decide to go fwd with getting CI's. So, we'll just have to wait il the 27th but - if for some reason the insurance either doesn't accept it or just hasn't gotten th referral crap set, my husband is going to rip tem all a new asshole! And knowing my Dad, he'd start it first! Heh. *sigh*

New countdown: 11 fucking more days :[

[sigh]

Thanks to all of you that wished me luck & all. Please continue to think of me [ or pray] and wish me better luck on the 27th! :]

I know how you feel. My VR counselor did that to me.

During my senior year in high school, my VR counselor approved the hearing test, psychological evaluation, etc... to be done on me. Everything was scheduled to begin a month later. I showed up at the psychologist's office and the psychologist started evaluating me. Ten minutes later, the secretary walked in and informed the psychologist that the evaluation had to be put on hold due to having a new VR counselor. I was like, "WTF? Why would that be a valid excuse for putting my evaluation on hold?" It turns out that during that one month wait, the previous VR counselor had transferred and they assigned me to a new one. The new one hadn't met me yet and wanted to meet me first before doing any of the evaluations. So, I had to wait another month before I could continue my evaluations. :roll:

I was meeting with an official from the social security administration regarding my SSI/SSDI... on the phone. I called and they agreed to call me a month later for a phone conversation. Well, a month later... they called, but I didn't answer because the caller ID showed up being something else. I didn't want anyone else to interrupt my call. Fifteen minutes later, I called them and they said, "Sorry, since you missed the call... you have to meet us in person." I tried to explain that the only call I got was from some company that couldn't be trusted, but they said that it was them that was calling... just that the caller ID shows them as a different name (sneaky, eh?). So, they made me wait another month before going to the office to meet them in person. :roll:

Is it really complicated trying to get the insurance approval? I thought it was simple and straightforwarded?

Anyways, best of luck!

I would think it depends on insurance companies.

I had zero problems getting my medicaid and medicare to approve it, they pretty much approved it right away. I was surprised.

Well I'd go to a doc and see if it might be Meineire's...........it does sound like it.....and if it IS, it's possibly treatable. No, you didn't tell the whole story about why you can't wear a hearing aid...........not even in the other thread.

I know how you feel. My VR counselor did that to me.

During my senior year in high school, my VR counselor approved the hearing test, psychological evaluation, etc... to be done on me. Everything was scheduled to begin a month later. I showed up at the psychologist's office and the psychologist started evaluating me. Ten minutes later, the secretary walked in and informed the psychologist that the evaluation had to be put on hold due to having a new VR counselor. I was like, "WTF? Why would that be a valid excuse for putting my evaluation on hold?" It turns out that during that one month wait, the previous VR counselor had transferred and they assigned me to a new one. The new one hadn't met me yet and wanted to meet me first before doing any of the evaluations. So, I had to wait another month before I could continue my evaluations. :roll:

I was meeting with an official from the social security administration regarding my SSI/SSDI... on the phone. I called and they agreed to call me a month later for a phone conversation. Well, a month later... they called, but I didn't answer because the caller ID showed up being something else. I didn't want anyone else to interrupt my call. Fifteen minutes later, I called them and they said, "Sorry, since you missed the call... you have to meet us in person." I tried to explain that the only call I got was from some company that couldn't be trusted, but they said that it was them that was calling... just that the caller ID shows them as a different name (sneaky, eh?). So, they made me wait another month before going to the office to meet them in person. :roll:

Dang.. that's crazy! I'm sorry you had to go thru that crap! :/

Well I'd go to a doc and see if it might be Meineire's...........it does sound like it.....and if it IS, it's possibly treatable. No, you didn't tell the whole story about why you can't wear a hearing aid...........not even in the other thread.

Hm, weird I thought I did, maybe I waited til people wanted to know, so I wouldn't bore yall with the long ass post ;) lol.

Ok - here goes. When I was pregnant w/ my oldest daughter, one of my HA's stopped working so I took it to the HA dealer & told them that it was broken. They checked it & said yep it's broken & we have to send it in to get it repaired. Turns out that it wasn't fixable as it was completely broken. I was crushed when I was told that 'cause I had just brought a new HA on my other ear and just couldn't afford the damn $2500 or whatever the amt was at the time since I was about to be expecting my daughter w/in a few mos so we decided "okay, well come back and order the other HA as soon as we can".
Several mos later, we had enough saved up & went back & ordered it.
But to my surprise, every time I tried wearing it, it'd just be a awful experience! I'd get Tinnitus immidtely, I'd walk all weird, and worse of all, I couldn't really hear out that HA & had a hearing test, but it showed that my loss stayed the same as I do not have a progressive hearing loss. So they told me to just keep trying and giving my brain time to adapt to hearing out of that ear.. and I did but it just got to be too much for me. And to this day, I still can't wear it! And well it bugs me cause I loved hearing out of both HA's as I did growing up. Plus that was the side I used the phone with most of the time. So it just totally sucks. :/

I do plan on letting the team know all this when I finally go in on the 27th and see what can be done.

Thanks. What day are you having your CI eval appt?
At least we'll both be going thru it 'together' in a way. :) Good luck on your appt! I hope we both come back telling everyone the good news! :)

deafmama,

I go March 2 for my evaluation. My feeling is that I won't qualify at this time. My right ear is not getting much benefit from the new HAs but my left ear seems to be getting benefit. It is still worthwhile going for the evaluation just to learn more about CIs because eventually I probably will qualify. It will be interesting to find out what kind of Speech Discrimination Scores I get with the HAs. Without HAs my Speech Discrimination is 0% on the Right and 16% on the left (at 110db).

I had an appointment with an Otologist months ago and he suggested an evaluation. I already had a CT, I was so nervous about the CT because I thought maybe something would show up that would prevent having a CI if I eventually need one. I am happy it will be an option for me.

deafmama78,
MEI???? Where? I know there are a lot of offices through the US but the MEI I know if is in SE Michigan. I haven't searched the nation for other MEI offices. I'm sure there are others that go by this name as well but if it is SE Michigan, I think you are in the right place. I have an awsome Dr. and Audiologist. They shoot straight. Tell you how it is and what they can try. They tell you the likely of sucess along with the risks. I hope the Dr. you have does the same. I really liked my Dr. He did not try to butter coat anything. But, with that being said, I also layed everything on the table. Told him how I felt, what I thought, how I looked at the future the way my hearing was degrading and most importantly, how long I thought my hearing would last and allow me to function in the hearing world. When the Dr. would ask how I was doing, I never gave the normal fake answer of FINE. If I was OK, then I said OK. If I was not doing well, I told him how it was and why I thought that way.
Insurance does create delays. No way around it. My surgery almost was cancelled because my Primary Care Physician quit the practice I was gone for about a month before my surgery and no one told me about it. It was by accident that I found out and had to delay bloodwork and other stuff. The way I found out is I just showed up at the office to get the Menengitis shot and noticed his name was no longer on the list of Dr.s at the practice. Luckly I was able to find another Dr. in the same office that would pick me up as a patient, change that with the HMO then call a 100 times to make sure everything was still on track.
I wish you luck. Be patient, things will eventually go the way you want them to.

Set2,
I by no means am a Dr. but if you have 16% at 110db w/o your aid, I'd be interested to know what descrimination you have with the aid. If you really want a CI, I hope you are able to qualify and convince your Dr. that it is the right thing to do in your situation. I was somewhat better with speech descrimination and at a lower db level when my insurance authorized the implant but my hearing was changing so fast that that may have helped me qualify back in November. Gosh, I was at the Dr. more than once per month being checked and my HA adjusted so I could hear at least some speech. I'm really glad my Dr. pushed for me as my good ear now is probably where your hearing is now and my aid just doesn't cut it any more. I really hope you can get what you want because it is just so awsome. With my CI, in my use to be bad ear, softest word tested and understood after 3 weeks was 10db. I really really hope you can qualify. This implant is just so amazing.

Live in Clarkston. Work in Warren. For me, MEI, is not in a bad location. Hope it is not to difficult for you to get to.

Steve

Back