I'm next!

I'm so happy to hear that your surgery was a success!! ::clapping:: :)

Steve, when the hospital discharged me, the instructions were no OTC meds for another week so I can't take the Motrin yet. I have a few Motrin 800 from a my dds appt a loooong time ago and I wanna try taking 'em but I know to wait til Thursday. Grr.

My surgeon called my husband yesterday asking about me. My husband told him that I was feellng pretty bad & not happy with having to take so much pain meds & was dying for some sleep. He said He wouldn't be surprised if I had already gotten refills & would prescribe me more if I need them after I run out of the refill once I get those filled up, which would probably be by tonight. I heart my surgeon for being so awesome so far! :)

Day 4 post op- I've got lik 6 hrs of sleep last night. I did keep waking up cause I had slept on my arm for a bit on the implanted side, my hubby fell asleep on the couch while we were watching movie ad I woke him after 2am telling him let's go up to bed, he said "nah, come lay down with me" So I got in, laid on my right side/tummy and put my ar on his and slept with my forehead on my arm that way it's not touching my implanted side in any way. Then I turned around and slept on my side and woke up at 8:30 on my back. I even slept thru my 4am antibiotic dose. Whoopsie.

But. . . I think today's the day I can start taking less pain meds, or it's what I'm hoping anyways. lol. I am feeling pretty good 'cept for the intense pain which is starting to get worse

Oh speaking of the pain, I'm having the same exact type of pain! How interesting that we go some of the same type of pains. My neck muscle pain is still here but not as bad as it was Thursday!!!

Have a good day yall!

deafmama78,

One of the best decissions I made was to ditch the tylenol 3 with codine and go with Motrin Regular strength. Two little pills was all I needed and it helped so much better than the tylenol. Seamed to help more with the swelling. I even think you may be able to take both, just check first. I know they did not want Motrin taken before surgery for like a week but after as I recall, it was free game and open season on the pain.

Hey how are you feeling now? things healing up and swelling going down? cant wait to hear when your date will be!

Hey! I am actually starting to feel pretty good, starting to get my enegry back. The pain is still there but that's okay, this too shall pass. ;)

I had my 1 wk post op appt yesterday. My surgeon had his office call us at 9:30 am asking me to come in ASAP so he could see me personally rather than me keeping my 2pm appt with the PA. That alone, made me feel really good, how my surgeon cared about me and personally wanted to see me himself. :]
So we had to scramble around to get ready, since we still had one daughter at home who doesn't start school til 12:15 so we called a friend and dropped our daughter off with her so she could take her daughter & my daughter to school together, as they're friends & in the same class. My other daughter was already at school, morning preschool so we didnt have to worry about her. Off we went to the hospital & had a nice appt. I had 4 stitches cut [boy, did I hate that part!!!!] by the other Dr. who was also in my surgery. Then talked with my surgeon and he told me he felt so bad for me for expericing this much pain, said most of his patients are well w/in a few days and most do not experience the intense pain as I did. He also explained most of them also don't experience the black/swollen eye as I did. I teased him telling him "Had I known this was gonna be this painful, I don't think I would have consented to this surgery. . ." he felt bad and said "Don't be mad at me!" I said "Well. . . can I be mad just until the pain goes away?" hehe. I was simply teasing him. I know this will all soon be just a memory & will be worth it!!!

When the appt was over, my audi was in surgery so she couldn't meet with me to discuss activation appt so I emailed her & she emailed back asking if June 6th, 1pm was good for me. So, there you go! 12 more days til you hear the story of my activation experience!!!

I am wayyyyyyyyyyyyy excited!!!!!

Hey how are you feeling now? things healing up and swelling going down? cant wait to hear when your date will be!

Tami Sam, I forgot to mention- my surgeon said that everything looked great. I still have a bit of swelling but it's coming down & he said that now having the last of the bandaids off will help even more now that the CI area has air, which makes total sense. If you touched my head, you can defintely tell that the right side has a bump - lol but luckily hair covers that and it'll go away. :]

Oh and I took my 1st shower since the night before surgery and boyyyyyy did that ever help!!!!! I felt awesome & it felt weird washing my hair on that side as I was terrified but I did it!!!!!

Not sure if you remember but a couple days after surgery, my neck muscles got so sore, the only way I could move my head was by grabing my hair and pulling my head off the pillow with my hand. Don't be suprised if this happens. Lasted about 2-3 days then sore for maybe a week.

Steve

LOL, i did that (i looked like a cave woman lol) everytime i got up from a chair, i pulled my hair up to help move my neck lol. i was glad to have found a way to making getting up easier lol.

Take a bath!! just keep your head above the water lol. Have your hun wash your hair over the sink, that's what mine did and it felt so much better. I know what ya means, SLEEP! I had to take me a percocet every 2 hours, then sleep. sleep some more. It will feel better!
I hope ya feeling better??
Congrat!

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 3 days post op & I'm crying as I type this. I wanna take a shower soooooooooooooooooo bad & wash my hair. I feel all icky! Plus I'm in so much pain, meds aren't really helping much & all I wanna do is SLEEP. Fucking sleep & escape the pain!!! Grr.

Let's hope this sleep aid I just took helps & I get a few hours of sleep!

Sorry but I am in a bad mood. :(

Please don't let this post discourage those that are considering getting a CI. I'm just in a bad mood, that's all. :) And I'm sure in a few weeks I'll say that all of this is well worth it.

Good News

I am so happy for you!!! It was a long haul for you but its going to be soo worthit. Ya know how it was having our kids sooo painful but that part fades and just good memories,plus it makes it so much worthwhile.If ya believe that last part I got a bridge LOL.... No but it does.Hope that was a good activation date for you I know you wanted it early June.Do they know why you had that problem with you eye swelling up? Hit a muscle or something? Man a nice hot shower and shampoo bet know you feel human.Good for you!:h5:

StacieLeigh: I am feeling pretty good. I even went out to dinner to meet my Mom, Aunt, and Grandma. We went to Cracker Barrel. My husband, bless his heart, brought my meds knowing I'd need it soon and man was ever right. lol. He knows me so well! So the part part of dinner was awful until the meds kicked in then I was able to talk & laugh more around my family. It was great! :]

Tami Sam: Yep, my surgeon knew what happened to my eye just from talking on the phone with the other surgeon who was in my surgery, who saw me the day after surgery. Normally I wouldn't have needed to go in til a week post op but becuase of the swelling, I was asked to come in. This surgeon who was in my surgery went and called my surgeon and he explained that when I was starting to come out of Anesthisea, I was still asleep but I kept trying to get up, fighting the nurses without even knowing I was doing that. I must of burst a blood vessel by my eye, so that caused the brusing and swollen eye. The swelling went away so fast. I still have a lil bit of the black/red but that's it. :]

That's great. How was your taste bud? Mine was awful for a couple of month lol. i manage to lose 15 lbs lol. Who likes food tasting like metal? i don't lol.
it took longer for the numbness on the side of my head to go away. i didn't really know it was still numb until I felt my hair pulling when i brushed my hair. lol
I totally love my CI. I felt bad for a little while when I had realized how much I've missed all these years. But now that feelings are gone and having a blast hearing new things.

So glad you are feeling much better Deafmama! It sounds like you have turned the corner at last. I'm so glad you have shared your experiences of a more difficult recovery on here though as it's important for people to be aware of the range that can be experienced. Now let's hope the wait to activation doesn't drive you bananas.

Wow your eye was actually caused by when you fought the nurses,I remember you said that but didnt realize that was the outcome,here i kidded one of them might have decked you,so sorry.They should have put you back under so not to cause damage.I started heaving coming out of anesthia and they telling me No dont throw up! well try and stop it heh!and they did put me right under in the I.V.You have heard sound before havent you? went back to an old thread and saw you wore hearing aids.I never had ci obviously but hoping better than HA's. Good Luck cant wait to hear how it goes for you!

That's great. How was your taste bud?

StacieLeigh: I do have a little metalic taste, but only a small area on my right side of my tounge. It's not bothersome unless I eat or actually pay attention to it. Make sense?

I totally love my CI. I felt bad for a little while when I had realized how much I've missed all these years. But now that feelings are gone and having a blast hearing new things.[/QUOTE]

I know I am gonna end up feeling the excat same way, if the CI turns out to work as well as I'm hoping it to. I am gonna kick myself in the ass for not getting it 6 yrs ago when I started having problems with using my hearing aid on the left side. I just would NOT listen to my husband about seeing the ENT because of my bad experiences with most ENT's being stupid as hell! SERIOUSLY!!! :x

So glad you are feeling much better Deafmama! It sounds like you have turned the corner at last.

R2D2: Thank you!

I'm so glad you have shared your experiences of a more difficult recovery on here though as it's important for people to be aware of the range that can be experienced. Now let's hope the wait to activation doesn't drive you bananas.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I shared my experience, because I wanted the others to know that not most everyone will have such an easy-barely-any-pain-type of recovery! I do hope that my experience does not cause who are going thru CI candidacy process or about to have their CI surgery soon to suddenly back out & change their mind. I want those people to please remember that I was one of the unlucky few who had gone thru what I did. And you can bet your asses that after I get used to the CI being turned on, I will still look back and say "I'm glad I did it, regardless of how my recovery was!"
It's kinda like Mothers giving birth, they go thru many hours of painful contractions & that horrid intense pain of giving birth, but forget about it right away because they're overjoyed to have that brand new baby in their arms! That's the same with us CI'ers, we'll happily embrace our new CI & our new way of "hearing" while still being Deaf and proud! :]

You have heard sound before havent you? went back to an old thread and saw you wore hearing aids.

Yep, I have [heard] before & still do via my left hearing aid. I have used both hearing aids for about 22 yrs. It was then that I had to stop using my right hearing aid, cause every time I'd put it on, I'd experience awful Tinnitus and would walk really strangely & it was just sooo different. I hated it!!! Plus I noticed I couldn't hear like I used to. I thought "Oh great, I'm now losing the rest of my hearing?" but I never lost any of my hearing, except for like 5% and that was only because I stopped wearing my heaering aid in my right ear for 6 yrs, or I could have gave them the wrong results in my hearing test, becuase due to Tinnitus, I wasn't sure if I [heard] the beeps and whatnot or if my Tinnitus was making me think I heard it. Make sense? So the last test may be a lil off and I warned the Audi that which she understood and told me not to worry. And besides, I knew we were implanting that side if I wanted to go ahead, so I didn't really give a shit if I kinda fucked up on my hearing test. lol.

In case you're wondering what all I heard with hearing aids- alot of environment sounds, people talking, myself talking, I could even use the phone for many years only with people I knew. However, I couldn't use the phone on my right ear when I had all that problems when I was 22. So I gave up using the phone. Which sucked cause I loved talking to my Mom & before I met my husband, I dated these two hearing guys about a year each and they both loved calling me and hearing me say "I love you" before bed. If I couldn't understand them say something, the first one would just put the phone on TDD mode and type it to me, the other one would IM it to me on the puter and we'd continue our convo on the phone. I missssssss that!!!! I never got the chance to really use the phone with my husband or my girls, so I hope it's one thing I achieve with the CI. But, if I don't, that's okay.

I never had ci obviously but hoping better than HA's. Good Luck cant wait to hear how it goes for you!

That's what I'm also hoping for, that the CI will give me better benefit than my hearing aid did. Don't get me wrong, my hearing aids benefitted me great for 22 yrs! And I loved having the ability to hear with my aids whenever I wanted to hear, when I don't wanna hear, I'd just turn off my hearing aids. Perfect! lol.

Being Deaf is awesome! :P

Oh and thank you again for all the kind words and for following my CI journey!

You guys, I just happened to read the OP of this thread & I have a hard time believing that I posted this two weeks and two days ago!!! And that my surgery was already 9 days ago!!! How the hell did time fly soooo quickly?! :]

Countdown for activation:
11 days!

What I said on 5/10: I go in next Thursday the 17th for my 1st CI surgery! Ack! I had my pre-op phone appt today

Back