I'm next!

deafmama78

Reaction score
I go in next Thursday the 17th for my 1st CI surgery! Ack! I had my pre-op phone appt today. All they did was ask a few health related questions and then told us a few instructions. We now just wait til Wednesday and call them w/ the time I'm supposed to arrive at the hospital Thurs. They want me to drink lots and lots of fluids on Weds then top eating anything as of midnight Thurs. They want me to continue w/ my meds as normal. Normally you are sometimes asked to not take meds prior to surgery but with my Asthma, they're having me take 'em as normal. So, this is it! Next week I'll be coming on here telling you all how it went! Ekkkk. I can't believe the 7 wks of waiting for surgery [almost] been done!

I can hear my Husband snoring loudly as he's sleeping to my left & I wear a hearing aid on that ear. I wonder if I'll hear his snoring even more with the CI? Heh. I'll know in a few weeks, eh! :]

Wish me luck, guys! I'm nervous. Especially in the event that I die during surgery and don't make it out of it. :/ You'll know by me not posting here ever again. :/ Let's just hope that doesn't happen for the sake of my beautiful children who needs me!

Talk to yall later!

Good luck!! Not long now. And I'm sure you won't die :)

You wear a hearing aid in bed?? :eek: I like my peace and quiet at night. It's been the same with the CI as well. I can remember when I first discovered that my husband snored loudly. It was a surprise and we'd already been married 2 years at that point. :giggle:

Good luck!

Beware of after surgery, you will be very overdose. I remember when I wake up after the surgery, I feel like I was burn out.

Yeah I remember I have to eat and drink before the day I get surgery.

Wish lucks! :D

Good luck and I wish you well. Let's hope you don't get dizzy or anything like that. I was dizzy for a few days due to meds.

Good luck!! Not long now. And I'm sure you won't die :)

You wear a hearing aid in bed?? :eek:

Ha. It was still on when I was laying in bed using my laptop while Hubby was sleeping & snoring. ;) I admit, I do sometimes fall asleep with my hearing aid still on 'cause I sleep on the non hearing aid ear/soon to be implanted ear. I do like my peace & quie so if things are bugging me, I just simply turn down my aid or take it off. :]

I am aware of shitty I am going to be feeling after I'm out of surgery Thurs. I am NOT looking forward to that!!! But I'm prepared for it. I think we may even be borrowing my in law's good recliner as ours is a bit broken & we've stupidly never gotten it fixed. Blah. The reason we're borrowing it is 'cause I read that I'll probably want to sleep being reclined for a few days to a week? And plus it'd be great for during the day while the kids are at school & hubby is upstairs working. I could easily watch TV & movies & just fall asleep whenever I feel like it without having to drag myself upstairs to sleep on my wonderful bed. lol.

I'll have to find the 'CI surgery tips' and show it to my Hubby & see if there's any advices we could follow.

Oh, a quick question. . . were any of you told not to take any Advil or Motrin for week following surgery? I've never heard of this in the past & am wondering why? What the hell am I supposed to take if I'm in pain? Or will they just make sure I'm sent home with a week's worth of the good pain meds? So I won't have to worry about needing OTC pain meds? I am kinda concerned as I do not tolerate pain at all.. ekkk. Yes, I have low to zero pain tolerace and it sucks! :(

I'm off to lay down, the sunburn I have is still making me feel shitty! I got it while standing in lines all day at the Deal or No Deal auditions. heh.

Deafmama,

Good luck next Thursday. I hope your recovery is speedy. Take it easy and let hubby do the cooking for the next six months, doctors orders!

Good Luck!! Looking forward to reading more about your experiences!

Deafmama Yea! Its finally your time. I'm so excited for you. you will be fine dont worry and I'm going to keep you in my prayers that you'll do great. Speaking from experience as I have had 5 operations on my ears due to the menieres disease , recliners are great, I spent alot of time in them ,another thing to get is a very soft goosedown pillow as you may be sore and dont laugh but my real big ear surgery I was so sore i slept on a donut the nurses gave me with a soft babyblanket draped over it. Yes a hemorroid donut I was that sore couldnt stand anything touching ear. CI surgery doesnt sound as painful but what do I know yet. I'm expecting to be very wobbly due to my poor vestibular system as I was bad just after laying flat for my MRI tues.had to use a cane to get around the next day,I also keep some candied ginger its supposed to help the queasiness.So Good luck I know you'll do great!

Oh, a quick question. . . were any of you told not to take any Advil or Motrin for week following surgery? I've never heard of this in the past & am wondering why? What the hell am I supposed to take if I'm in pain? Or will they just make sure I'm sent home with a week's worth of the good pain meds? So I won't have to worry about needing OTC pain meds? I am kinda concerned as I do not tolerate pain at all.. ekkk. Yes, I have low to zero pain tolerace and it sucks! :(

I believe that the reason you are told not to take Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen is because that medication thins your blood and if something wrong happens during surgery and you've taken that medicine, it could spell disaster. At least that's what I've heard.

Yes Lucia you are right asprin too, I believe.there are many herbal supplements that you cannot take before surgery so you may want to make a list and be very conscience of what you take.

You can take tylernol (sp?) type pain killers but not Ibuprofen, aspirin etc based painkillers because the latter thins the blood and if you have a wound it will interfere with blood clotting.

I made the mistake of taking ibuprofen years ago, when I had my wisdom teeth extracted and wondered why it kept bleeding.

You are right on the reason behind it. See, I knew this already. But I thought you weren't supposed to take it like 10-14 days before surgery, but they told me that I'm not to take any for one week after surgery, which seemed like news to me but I understood perfectly well the reason behind this. I was also surprised that I'm to keep taking my regular meds even the day of surgery, I can take 'em with a sip of water but that's it. :]

I believe that the reason you are told not to take Advil/Motrin/Ibuprofen is because that medication thins your blood and if something wrong happens during surgery and you've taken that medicine, it could spell disaster. At least that's what I've heard.[/QUOTE]

I made the mistake of taking ibuprofen years ago, when I had my wisdom teeth extracted and wondered why it kept bleeding.[/QUOTE]

Weird, I took Ibuprofen after having my wisdom teeth taken out & I didn't really keep bleeding. I only bled badly for about 2-4 hrs on the first two that my dds took. The 3rd one that was taken really surprised me, I hardly bled much.

In response to Tami Sam on eating candied ginger:
Fresh ginger tea is really good for dizziness and inner ear function. Gingko helps as well but don't take that before surgery, as it can potentially have a blood-thinning effect. Both ginger and gingko are considered alternative remedies for dizziness and tinnitus. (I've been taking ginger but not gingko.)

I'm really into alternative medicine, and I've found a lot of things to be helpful for me. For example, taking probiotics after finishing a regimen of antibiotics will help get the stomach back into shape. I've been taking Ayurvedic herbs and that's been great. Tumeric and homeopathic Arnica are both good for swelling (like asprin), but I waited 3-5 days postop for taking any herbs just to give things a chance to settle. Chicken broth is the best thing in the world for healing post-op.

Also regarding dizziness, it's become clear to me that the pain-killer I've been taking was making it worse. One week post-op and I don't need the Percocet anymore.

Honestly, I'm surprised at how quickly I've felt better. I'm still in my twenties so that's part of it, but there's no reason not to think that recovery won't come quickly, Deaf Mama. Good luck. I just watched a lot of movies, slept, and enjoyed the Percocet while I needed it.

Back